HiFiVision.com - Audio Video Hi-Fi Forum


Topping TP30 amp with dac

Discuss Topping TP30 amp with dac at the Amplifiers within the HiFiVision.com - Audio Video Hi-Fi Forum; Any one have info on this T-amp with DAC :Topping TP30. How is the quality? ...

Go Back   HiFiVision.com - Audio Video Hi-Fi Forum > Audio Components > Amplifiers

Amplifiers Integrated and Pre/Power Amplifiers


Advertise Here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 25th January 2010, 06:37 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,432
Thanks: 392
Thanked 522 Times in 372 Posts
Reputation points: 535
kaushik is a glorious beacon of lightkaushik is a glorious beacon of lightkaushik is a glorious beacon of lightkaushik is a glorious beacon of lightkaushik is a glorious beacon of lightkaushik is a glorious beacon of light
Topping TP30 amp with dac


Any one have info on this T-amp with DAC :Topping TP30. How is the quality?

Well laid components it might be very good for mini stereo setup .Approx 5k via ebay.



The DAC is USB PCM 2704 based.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Ads
  #2  
Old 27th January 2010, 06:07 PM
psychotropic's Avatar  
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 2,820
Thanks: 337
Thanked 451 Times in 335 Posts
Reputation points: 463
psychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Topping TP30 amp with dac

It uses the TA2024 chip, so it'll be slightly inferior (as an amplifier) to the TA2020 based Topping TP20, which I will be getting my hands on shortly (as a birthday present). And the PCM 270X based DACs are not supposed to be terribly great are they? Or is the 2704 an exception?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik View Post
Any one have info on this T-amp with DAC :Topping TP30. How is the quality?

Well laid components it might be very good for mini stereo setup .Approx 5k via ebay.



The DAC is USB PCM 2704 based.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psychotropic For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 27th January 2010, 06:47 PM
iaudio's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kuwait/Kochi
Posts: 3,167
Thanks: 1,398
Thanked 632 Times in 489 Posts
Reputation points: 641
iaudio is a name known to alliaudio is a name known to alliaudio is a name known to alliaudio is a name known to alliaudio is a name known to alliaudio is a name known to all
Re: Topping TP30 amp with dac

This is something Kaushik had suggested to me to put an end to my stereo woes!
I am seriously considering this along with a used Arcam alpha 5 plus and Marantz pm40. I would very much like to know the sound quality of this dac+amp and its ability to drive a pair of floorstanders( I have mission m33i in 180 sq ft room.)

The Tp amp would also solve my source problem as i could feed usb from my laptop to the usb dac.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27th January 2010, 09:29 PM
psychotropic's Avatar  
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 2,820
Thanks: 337
Thanked 451 Times in 335 Posts
Reputation points: 463
psychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Topping TP30 amp with dac

hmm the rated sensitivity of the missions M33i is 90 db, but 180 s. f.t is a moderately large room and the 2024 is even less powerful than the 2020. It might be a marginal solution for your needs. Why don't you invest in a good USB DAC like the Musiland DAC and a TA2020 based t-amp. The combined cost would be about 200 dollars if you went for a Lepai or under 250 USD if you went for a Topping TP20. None of these things (except the Lepai) I have heard of course, so I am slightly talking through my hat.

Where are you based iaudio? Bangalore? Let's see if I can arrange for you to audition the TP20 that I am going to get (it is going to come to bangalore first).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaudio View Post
This is something Kaushik had suggested to me to put an end to my stereo woes!
I am seriously considering this along with a used Arcam alpha 5 plus and Marantz pm40. I would very much like to know the sound quality of this dac+amp and its ability to drive a pair of floorstanders( I have mission m33i in 180 sq ft room.)

The Tp amp would also solve my source problem as i could feed usb from my laptop to the usb dac.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28th January 2010, 10:15 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,676
Thanks: 233
Thanked 310 Times in 263 Posts
Reputation points: 320
thevortex is a jewel in the roughthevortex is a jewel in the roughthevortex is a jewel in the roughthevortex is a jewel in the rough
Re: Topping TP30 amp with dac

Psychotropic - how did you come up with the Topping T20? Did you have an audition of the component? Curious to know..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28th January 2010, 10:26 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,432
Thanks: 392
Thanked 522 Times in 372 Posts
Reputation points: 535
kaushik is a glorious beacon of lightkaushik is a glorious beacon of lightkaushik is a glorious beacon of lightkaushik is a glorious beacon of lightkaushik is a glorious beacon of lightkaushik is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Topping TP30 amp with dac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotropic View Post
It uses the TA2024 chip, so it'll be slightly inferior (as an amplifier) to the TA2020 based Topping TP20, which I will be getting my hands on shortly (as a birthday present). And the PCM 270X based DACs are not supposed to be terribly great are they? Or is the 2704 an exception?
Waiting for Topping TP20 reviews , why i suggested because
the Topping amps have good quality components, the DAC is very basic but combo is value for money.

In 5 k you are getting goldplated pcb, good capacitors all over, Goldplated connectors ,common mode choke filtered power section,high quality volume control ,a minimal DAC too,i can see speaker protection relays inside(blue colored)....the list continues .. as well as a audiophile grade outer casing.

The Lepai amps come with pretty cheap components ,carbon resistors,poor capacitors,poor connectors and a very cheap pcb .More over they have bass and treble section ..modding these is a uneasy affair for newbie.
people change all parts in Lepai except the chip(I feel it will be better if they take the chip and do a new amp build
even point to point is a better idea )

UPDATE :
Filter caps are 3000ufd ELNA Pioneer (!)...some nichicon muse capacitors are there too, smaller film caps looks like made by murata,resistor etc DALE ,regulated supply the dac is feeding is via LM117xxx regulators (basic LDO), preferred are TPS series ...

DAC buffer is is OPA2134 based on pics at http://cgi.ebay.com.hk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=130356518453
See the truth inside a Lepai

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kaushik For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 28th January 2010, 10:28 AM
psychotropic's Avatar  
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 2,820
Thanks: 337
Thanked 451 Times in 335 Posts
Reputation points: 463
psychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Topping TP30 amp with dac

hehe nope! I've only heard the Lepai (with the TA2020 chip) and this Topping also has the same chip but better other components....claims to have nichicon caps and dale resistors and all that....gold plated binding posts, gold plated RCAs.....and comes with a 12V, 5A power supply.

Basically my friend said "how about i buy you one of these tripath amps for your birthday"....i said okay and i read up a fair bit about the cheaper ones and the choice was between a brand called HLLY and Topping......Both seemed to have the same level of quality, but Topping was slightly cheaper and had also gone through some modifications based on feedback. And I read many many user reviews where the Topping TP20's sound has been rated quite high, so I thought I might as well go for it.

Once I get my hands on it i'll know how much all this counts for ....but it's a gift anyway....so even if it sounds like crap, it's not a big loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevortex View Post
Psychotropic - how did you come up with the Topping T20? Did you have an audition of the component? Curious to know..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28th January 2010, 10:46 PM
iaudio's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kuwait/Kochi
Posts: 3,167
Thanks: 1,398
Thanked 632 Times in 489 Posts
Reputation points: 641
iaudio is a name known to alliaudio is a name known to alliaudio is a name known to alliaudio is a name known to alliaudio is a name known to alliaudio is a name known to all
Re: Topping TP30 amp with dac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotropic View Post
hmm the rated sensitivity of the missions M33i is 90 db, but 180 s. f.t is a moderately large room and the 2024 is even less powerful than the 2020. It might be a marginal solution for your needs. Why don't you invest in a good USB DAC like the Musiland DAC and a TA2020 based t-amp. The combined cost would be about 200 dollars if you went for a Lepai or under 250 USD if you went for a Topping TP20. None of these things (except the Lepai) I have heard of course, so I am slightly talking through my hat.

Where are you based iaudio? Bangalore? Let's see if I can arrange for you to audition the TP20 that I am going to get (it is going to come to bangalore first).
Psycho, I am in Cochin.
Whats ur take on the 2 used amps I have mentioned, the pm40 will be 5k while the arcam 5 plus is 8k.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 29th January 2010, 06:15 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,676
Thanks: 233
Thanked 310 Times in 263 Posts
Reputation points: 320
thevortex is a jewel in the roughthevortex is a jewel in the roughthevortex is a jewel in the roughthevortex is a jewel in the rough
Re: Topping TP30 amp with dac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotropic View Post
hehe nope! I've only heard the Lepai (with the TA2020 chip) and this Topping also has the same chip but better other components....claims to have nichicon caps and dale resistors and all that....gold plated binding posts, gold plated RCAs.....and comes with a 12V, 5A power supply.

Basically my friend said "how about i buy you one of these tripath amps for your birthday"....i said okay and i read up a fair bit about the cheaper ones and the choice was between a brand called HLLY and Topping......Both seemed to have the same level of quality, but Topping was slightly cheaper and had also gone through some modifications based on feedback. And I read many many user reviews where the Topping TP20's sound has been rated quite high, so I thought I might as well go for it.

Once I get my hands on it i'll know how much all this counts for ....but it's a gift anyway....so even if it sounds like crap, it's not a big loss
I know I can google this but still being the lazybones I am - can I trouble you by asking what exactly are tri-path amps and how are they different from normal integrated amps?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 29th January 2010, 11:21 PM
psychotropic's Avatar  
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 2,820
Thanks: 337
Thanked 451 Times in 335 Posts
Reputation points: 463
psychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of lightpsychotropic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Topping TP30 amp with dac

tripath amps are chip-amps (or digital amps, or class D amps, although they've spawned a new term called CLass T, which is not really a class) using chips made by this now defunct company called Tripath. These chips were invented by this Indian dude called Adya Tripathi and were revolutionary in how efficient they are and the quality of amplification they provide for the price. Unfortunately, unlike his fellow Indian AMar Bose, mr. tripathi didn't have the marketing chops and his company went under and all their IP now belongs to Cirrus LOgic. Fortunately there was a massive inventory of tripath chips that survived the bankrupty and have been bought up by various people and used in amps costing as little as 20 dollars and as much as several hundreds (or more?). From hong kong based vendors like Lepai, Topping and HLLY to brands like NuForce, and high end brands like Mark Levinson and Red Wine Audio, tripath chips have found homes in amplifiers at various price levels. One of the best regarded exponents of tripath chip based amplification is a company called Virtue Audio. I am considering buying a Virtue Audio amplifier some time. Tripath chips are supposed to have a warm, almost tubey sound without the attenuation at the frequency extremes. They are compact, don't get hot at all, and are very clean and silent amps.

I've heard a 20 dollar Lepai tripath amp, soundly kick the ass of an Onkyo 304 AVR driving Jamo 406 floorstanders in a large room. Better detailing, much better soundstage, better handling of transients...the works...the Topping TP20 costs about 4000 bucks shipped, with a 12v, 5A power supply (no customs), and uses the same TA2020 chip (one of many tripath chips, and one of the better but less powerful ones).

One of the chief weaknesses of tripath amps (somewhat like SETs) is their low power, but Virtue Audio has solved this by using two chips in one amp (or something like that), and Virtue Audio and reviewers claim that their amps can duke it out with some many-thousand dollar solid state and tube amplifiers.

Once my Topping lands in my hands, I'll compare it to my NAD and see how it fares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevortex View Post
I know I can google this but still being the lazybones I am - can I trouble you by asking what exactly are tri-path amps and how are they different from normal integrated amps?


Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychotropic For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads for: Topping TP30 amp with dac
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Topping TP20 tripath 2020 amplifier (versus NAD C320BEE) psychotropic Amplifiers 1179 9th July 2014 02:11 PM
Does the Topping TP20-MARK2 produce low frequent vibrations on the low-range speaker? real(HighEnd) Amplifiers 0 16th February 2010 05:10 PM



Advertise Here


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Copyright © www.HiFiVision.com 2006 - , All rights reserved.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194