HiFiVision.com - Audio Video Hi-Fi Forum


ideal 5.1 speaker placement, please suggest

Discuss ideal 5.1 speaker placement, please suggest at the Introductions within the HiFiVision.com - Audio Video Hi-Fi Forum; Originally Posted by deepaksood haha as long as you're satisfied in the end. I actually ...

Go Back   HiFiVision.com - Audio Video Hi-Fi Forum > Welcome Message & Introductions > Introductions

Introductions New to HiFiVision.com? You can start off by introducing yourself here!


Advertise Here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 12th April 2013, 09:40 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: delhi
Posts: 6
Thanks: 12
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation points: 15
virtueso is on a distinguished road
Re: ideal 5.1 speaker placement, please suggest


Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaksood View Post
haha as long as you're satisfied in the end. I actually meant 360 degrees though, which can be moved up/down as well as left/right. But if the 180 solves the problem, its great. Better than protruding tables : )
ooo no you're right .. then 360 makes sense
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Ads
  #22  
Old 14th April 2013, 07:22 PM
Rockfella's Avatar  
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gurgaon/NCR
Posts: 603
Thanks: 111
Thanked 48 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation points: 58
Rockfella will become famous soon enough
Re: ideal 5.1 speaker placement, please suggest

Hi Virtueso,
Congrats! Please reply to the PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 15th April 2013, 01:03 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: US
Posts: 499
Thanks: 8
Thanked 211 Times in 157 Posts
Reputation points: 221
sdurani has a spectacular aura aboutsdurani has a spectacular aura aboutsdurani has a spectacular aura about
Re: ideal 5.1 speaker placement, please suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtueso View Post
sigh..the best possible placement with space available has been done, but im not happy with it surround l and r are at same height as front l and r, although not directly opposite each other, and all 4 are point straight ahead,at no angle whatsoever .
I would start by mounting the surrounds in the back corners of the room, at least a couple of feet above ear level. If you can mount them in the back tri-corners (where the back corners meet the ceiling), then that would be even better: the multiple reflective surfaces will give you a more diffuse sound for better envelopment, the wide spread will maintain excellent left-vs-right separation in the surround field.

From the pic you posted, it looks like you have an opportunity to improve dialogue clarity from your centre speaker. The large flat surface in front of your centre speaker will result in reflections that muddy up the sound. I would move that away (maybe put the gear under the TV table?) and pull the centre speaker forward so that it is just past the edge of the table.

Down the road, if you can put a thick absorbent rug on the floor, that will help as well. Sit in your main listening position and have someome move a hand mirror around the floor until you see the reflection of your centre speaker. Do this from both seats. Put a rug over those reflection points. Again, you can add the rug later on, but I would definitely move any reflective surface away from the centre speaker as soon as possible.

Finally, don't forget to calibrate (dial in speaker levels and speaker distances). Without doing that, your system won't sound cohesive.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdurani For This Useful Post:
  #24  
Old 15th April 2013, 08:43 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: delhi
Posts: 6
Thanks: 12
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation points: 15
virtueso is on a distinguished road
Re: ideal 5.1 speaker placement, please suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
I would start by mounting the surrounds in the back corners of the room, at least a couple of feet above ear level. If you can mount them in the back tri-corners (where the back corners meet the ceiling), then that would be even better: the multiple reflective surfaces will give you a more diffuse sound for better envelopment, the wide spread will maintain excellent left-vs-right separation in the surround field.

From the pic you posted, it looks like you have an opportunity to improve dialogue clarity from your centre speaker. The large flat surface in front of your centre speaker will result in reflections that muddy up the sound. I would move that away (maybe put the gear under the TV table?) and pull the centre speaker forward so that it is just past the edge of the table.

Down the road, if you can put a thick absorbent rug on the floor, that will help as well. Sit in your main listening position and have someome move a hand mirror around the floor until you see the reflection of your centre speaker. Do this from both seats. Put a rug over those reflection points. Again, you can add the rug later on, but I would definitely move any reflective surface away from the centre speaker as soon as possible.

Finally, don't forget to calibrate (dial in speaker levels and speaker distances). Without doing that, your system won't sound cohesive.
Oh, i did not know that about the center speaker. I shall move it to the edge right away.
The system is a bit too large for the slot under the table, i'm going to have it altered,which will also include space so that the system stays ventilated.

I do have a large carpet that i can use, but it gets too hot in summers. I will try it out anyway. I thought the laminated wood panelling on the floor was good for acoustics ..

I calibrated the speakers, both speaker distance as well as sound level from each speaker but then i reverted back to adjusting only the distance from speakers, and the sound level remains the same. Will try this out for a few days and then tweak the individual speaker volume level to see what is required.

Any more suggestions are most welcomed
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 15th April 2013, 09:55 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: US
Posts: 499
Thanks: 8
Thanked 211 Times in 157 Posts
Reputation points: 221
sdurani has a spectacular aura aboutsdurani has a spectacular aura aboutsdurani has a spectacular aura about
Re: ideal 5.1 speaker placement, please suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtueso View Post
Oh, i did not know that about the center speaker. I shall move it to the edge right away.
Quick rule of thumb for any of the front speakers: if I were to attach a 2-foot diameter propeller to the front of your speaker and give it a spin, would it spin freely or would it hit something? If the latter, move the obstruction out of the way. Like I said, this is something to check for all 3 front speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtueso View Post
The system is a bit too large for the slot under the table, i'm going to have it altered,which will also include space so that the system stays ventilated.
Can you put it on the floor temporarily?
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtueso View Post
Any more suggestions are most welcomed
What other aspects of your system are you disappointed with?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdurani For This Useful Post:
  #26  
Old 15th April 2013, 10:52 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: delhi
Posts: 6
Thanks: 12
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation points: 15
virtueso is on a distinguished road
Re: ideal 5.1 speaker placement, please suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Quick rule of thumb for any of the front speakers: if I were to attach a 2-foot diameter propeller to the front of your speaker and give it a spin, would it spin freely or would it hit something? If the latter, move the obstruction out of the way. Like I said, this is something to check for all 3 front speakers. Can you put it on the floor temporarily? What other aspects of your system are you disappointed with?
i can place it on the floor, but since i live in a corner house, the house gets hugee amounts of dust, and dust will kill the system if left exposed to long. I cover it with a cloth at night anyway, but even while using it,there's some amount of dust always.
If i clean the dust in the afternoon, its back again in the evening !

I'm liking the sound and the experience, but the way the speakers are now placed,(on the nail on the wall) they can't be put at an angle, to point towards me.
I think i will try this arrangement for a few days, and then will take them off the wall and place them at ear level on tables etc and point them towards me.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 15th April 2013, 11:04 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: delhi
Posts: 6
Thanks: 12
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation points: 15
virtueso is on a distinguished road
Re: ideal 5.1 speaker placement, please suggest

current placement

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 15th April 2013, 11:16 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 265
Thanks: 68
Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation points: 36
angynagpal is on a distinguished road
Re: ideal 5.1 speaker placement, please suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtueso View Post

If you ask me, I do have some reservations over the distance between those front speakers . I maybe wrong (am not expert) but I do feel you are limiting the listening area by having them so close to each other. Maybe, if it is possible with your room dimensions, you could have kept the TV table where (almost) the PC is (am assuming that there is still some wall left after the PC area), and arrange your seating accordingly.

If, however, you cannot go wider with those speakers, I really dont think you need to point the front speakers towards you, with that distance. Ideally the front speakers, when tilted in, should form a triangle with the listening sweet spot.....in your case, if you tilt your speakers, that sweet spot will almost be right in front of the tv, which is not feasible at all.

That table in front of the center speaker 'is' a problem. If you cant remove it from the front of the center speaker, then maybe you can mount the center as well on the wall and tilt it down towards your ears.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 15th April 2013, 11:31 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: delhi
Posts: 6
Thanks: 12
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation points: 15
virtueso is on a distinguished road
Re: ideal 5.1 speaker placement, please suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by angynagpal View Post
If you ask me, I do have some reservations over the distance between those front speakers . I maybe wrong (am not expert) but I do feel you are limiting the listening area by having them so close to each other. Maybe, if it is possible with your room dimensions, you could have kept the TV table where (almost) the PC is (am assuming that there is still some wall left after the PC area), and arrange your seating accordingly.

If, however, you cannot go wider with those speakers, I really dont think you need to point the front speakers towards you, with that distance. Ideally the front speakers, when tilted in, should form a triangle with the listening sweet spot.....in your case, if you tilt your speakers, that sweet spot will almost be right in front of the tv, which is not feasible at all.

That table in front of the center speaker 'is' a problem. If you cant remove it from the front of the center speaker, then maybe you can mount the center as well on the wall and tilt it down towards your ears.

To mount it, basically it's a nail that holds the speaker up. there is absolutely no space to move the speakers to any angle i was thinking i'd take it off,and put right speaker on the computer table, and left speaker on either tv table,or infront of the window thing, that you see to the immediate left of tv..

I think then the speakers will almost exactly be at ear level too,which they clearly are not currently
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 15th April 2013, 11:46 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 265
Thanks: 68
Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation points: 36
angynagpal is on a distinguished road
Re: ideal 5.1 speaker placement, please suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtueso View Post
To mount it, basically it's a nail that holds the speaker up. there is absolutely no space to move the speakers to any angle i was thinking i'd take it off,and put right speaker on the computer table, and left speaker on either tv table,or infront of the window thing, that you see to the immediate left of tv..

I think then the speakers will almost exactly be at ear level too,which they clearly are not currently
If you are sure that the speakers, when placed on the computer table and window, would be at ear level or even lightly higher (but never lower), then use that placement only. It would be better than the current placement. With the current placement, I feel there would be a lot of localization for the front channels and there would not be any sense of width in the soundstage in front of you, which you can achieve with a better placement, like the one mentioned by you.

But then, even the surrounds would need to go wider (they should go wider anyways even with the current placement of fronts). I would suggest you try this placement (I think you already had this placement when you posted the opening post of this thread) and compare it with the current setup. See what you like.

As for the center speaker, for now, just move that front table to a side when watching a movie. That should be fine. I think sdurani mentioned it beautifully when he stated the rule of thumb for any of the front speakers. You may use that advice to see how far the front table needs to be moved to the sides.

Please do calibrate your system with as much accuracy as you can. Calibration is the 'most' important aspect of a HT setup.....even more important than the placement.


Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to angynagpal For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
5.1 speaker placement, ideal placement, speaker placement

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads for: ideal 5.1 speaker placement, please suggest
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ideal speaker combo with the accuphase e 460 eastofthesun Speakers 6 30th March 2013 05:04 AM
Suggest me 5.1 Speaker placement inmy living room siddhu Home Theater 2 28th November 2012 04:12 PM
Ideal Speaker Stand height ? krishpiscean Audio Video Accessories 6 24th May 2012 07:59 AM
Ideal speaker system with the Denon receiver Harris Home Theater 11 23rd June 2011 08:00 AM
ideal speaker specification/configuration iamharishkm Speakers 2 31st August 2009 08:26 PM



Advertise Here


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:15 PM.


Copyright © www.HiFiVision.com 2006 - , All rights reserved.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199