1 RCA (DVD player) to 2 RCA input (powered sub) > 2 RCA out to the towers

pupupuchi28

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a pair of Yamaha tower speakers for my stereo set-up. As of now I dont want to invest in a AVR / Stereo amp. So I thought of purchasing a powered sub which has speakers outputs.

My question is I have only two speakers outputs in my DVD player (colored red and white), where as most of the powered subs need two reds and two whites as input. How can I connect my DVD (with one set of RCA output) to these subs (require two set of RCA input).

Thank you!

Firstly how will you power your Yamaha speakers without an amplifier? If your DVD has an amplifier inside, it is not wise to connect your Tower Speakers to it. They have cheap specifications. It may fry the dvd player. Anyhow mention the specifications of both dvd player('s amplifier) and speakers to suggest.

Secondly powered sub does not have speaker output but speaker level inputs. Logically speaking, you can simply connect speaker output of dvd player to both Tower speaker and subwoofer with two sets of speaker wires. But this will DEFINETLY fry your dvd player. Instead, you can connect line level output of your dvd player to the powered sub.

In all sense, its a really bad move. If you are going to spend on subwoofer, then I would suggest to first get a stereo amp (used one may be) with that money.

I guess I should have clearly specified my problem.

The DVD does not have an inbuilt amplifier.

My speakers are nominal 70w @ 8 ohms, Max 220w @ 8 ohms.

I planned to power the speakers from the powered sub. Yamaha YTS series is an example of subs which has speaker level outputs. It also has a mono output for the speakers. By saying 'Speaker level output' I assume you mean provision of connecting the speakers from powered sub. Mission has couple of subs which run (5 channel) speakers powered by sub. I saw them in Chroma, yesterday.

How can I split the single connection (but stereo signal) coming out of the DVD player to subs which has positives and negetives, for each speakers.

Last edited:
I guess I got the answer. Altough there are two RCA ports coming out of the DVD player but both of them have their own positive and negetive. The inner pin is positive and the outer circle is negetive. That way its a set of stereo output. Let me check it when I go home today.

pupupuchi :: what specific sub are you talking about

A lot of subs have speaker level outputs .
However it should be noted that you cannot power the bookshelves / satellites speakers using that . The amplifier on board will drive just the subwoofer and nothing else on the basis of what the crossover is set at. it will route the signal out to the bookshelves. It is just a signal with no amplification.
So for example if the sub crossover is set at 100hz anything above 100hz the subwoofer will route it through the line outputs / high pass filter.

So just cuts out frequencies and routes it to the speakers but it will not amplify them.

However PC speaker / sub have a different system. where the amp on board amplifies the satellites as well as sub. the crossover is set internally by the amp on board the Subwoofer enclosure

Again it purely depends what type of Subwoofer you have.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back