100% Noob needs 200% help

send2sherry

Dear All,

Have read tons of material without managing to arrive on a solid choice on what to buy. Here are my requirements:

Room: 9'x12' with minimal furniture and a glassed window opposite the wall where the AV console is setup
AVR: Need Help
Speakers: Need Help
Budget: 80K - 100K
Usage: TV/Movies:Music is 80:20
Limitation: Don't have room for giant speakers/subs - have to hang em to the wall/console.

I am based out of NCR (Delhi/Gurgaon). Please advice :)

~s~

Dear All,

I was hoping for some answers/suggestions by now. Does it take this long? Meanwhile, I am reading through the new posts but yet unable to arrive upon what to buy.

Thanks all, looking forward to some posts,
~s~

Hi Sherry,

Your roomsize is smallish 9 x 12. For AVR you can go for Denon 1611. It is very popular and good for movie/music, with bias towards movie. For one who gives importance to music than movies (Like me) Marantz AVR would be better.

For speaker system you can go for Boston Accoustic, Mission, QA, Paradigm. But you have to listen them before selection. Your budget is decent at 80-100 K. The two fronts and centre speaker should be of same brand, while the surround may be from different brand and sub may be a good one of a good brand like Deftech, Velodyne etc. Wharfdale SW150 is also a popular sub and easy to pocket.

In the AVR section you will get plenty of threads with lots of information. Please have patience and go through them. In fact, I am also looking for my AVR set up. Taken demo of AVR at Bass n Trebble Dwarka and more or less decided Marantz 5005 (approx. 50k). The speakers I heard Quad 11L classic (for Front). But I am sceptic about their placement as they are twin rear ported and according to very experienced forum members, they require quite good space behind them, which I may not provide in my room.

So, speaker placement and front / rear port etc. should be kept in mind, specially in a small room. It is very important, otherwise the end result will be boomy bass. Please insist on home demo before finalisation.

Hope, my few words would be of some help.
You can contact Denny (Bass n Treble) at 9999016124

do you need a 5.1 pack or will 2.0 suffice for you

if its 5.1 look at
Product - Products - Wharfedale Hi-Fi

or
Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater System - Overview

or
Q Acoustics - 1000i - In 2005 we assembled a design team from the world's most experienced and successful loudspeaker desi...

or
CT 5.1 System - Welcome to the New Official Paradigm Website.

or
Acoustimass 10 Series IV Home Entertainment Speaker System

for amplification
i would take either the Onkyo 606
DEnon 1910 ( if above budget the 1611)
marantz SR5005/SR5004

do remember your room is not very large and you should be able to get away with smaller speakers (warfedale would be kind of overkill and too bearing in your small room)

Actaully coming to think of it
i would actually even consider the following if i were you
Lifestyle 18 DVD Home Entertainment System

OR
Bose 321 GS Home Entertainment System
(And please disregard the bitching about this brand - INMO it does quite well for HT)

PS : seems amitnoida has given you the same advice while i was typing this post and researching the links

Last edited:
for speakers try Boston acoustics CS2310 5.1 set...

I found it much better than wharfedale and Paradigm in terms of its sound and price...

AVR - denon 1611/1911 - onkyo sr508/608 - marantz sr5004

try them them first and then finalise...

cheers!

I am buying AVR with Speakers too but budget is a little higher.

Please have a look at Denon 1611 combo with a Minx System , It is a compact system with satellites, Output was crystal clear and 20 by 20 room was filled with sound. 300 Watts subwofer was nice , for Music is good too.

I am not sure of the price of Minx but can call FX to confirm the same.

PM me if you need details, I am From Delhi too and auditioned some equipment in last 4 weeks.

if youre listening habits is 80% music then i suggest you get nice stereo setup. you'll have much better sound quality. listen to the monitor audio silver rx2. you can pair it with a nad / marantz / cambridge. what sort of music do you listen to

For your room size, even BS is an overkill. You need to look at only satellites + sub-woofer.

Choices ... within 35 k:
- Minx from FX, C.R Park
- Wharfedale Moviestar 70+, from Bass & Treble, Dwarka
- Boston 2310 ... don't know source in Delhi
- Harman Kardon HKTS, C.R Park

Higher budget ... say @ 50 k
- Focal, available with Sight & Sound GK 1
- Q Acoustics, C.P
- KEF .... ?

All the above are on-the-wall types.

I possess the Moviestar 70+, which is very good for movies and excellent for music. The sub-woofer is slightly weak, but I like it that way, as I am not after tight bass. My room size is 15 x 11.

For AVR ... within 25 k:
- Denon 1311
- Pioneer 519/520
- Yamaha 467

No need to look at higher powered ones for this room size.

So, overall budget should be either within 50 k .... or 70 k, depending upon your choice of equipment.

I am buying AVR with Speakers too but budget is a little higher.

Please have a look at Denon 1611 combo with a Minx System , It is a compact system with satellites, Output was crystal clear and 20 by 20 room was filled with sound. 300 Watts subwofer was nice , for Music is good too.

I am not sure of the price of Minx but can call FX to confirm the same.

PM me if you need details, I am From Delhi too and auditioned some equipment in last 4 weeks.

Dear Jatin,

Thanks for your reply. You are one of the people I am following closely :)

I heard of the Minx first from you and they seem to have gotten rave reviews. If its not too much of a bother, could you either share the contact number of the peeps who stock these in Delhi/Gurgaon or share the price of the Minx 325.

Thanks again!
~s~

if youre listening habits is 80% music then i suggest you get nice stereo setup. you'll have much better sound quality. listen to the monitor audio silver rx2. you can pair it with a nad / marantz / cambridge. what sort of music do you listen to

Dear afj,

Its 20% music. Thanks for you suggestion though :)

~s~

For your room size, even BS is an overkill. You need to look at only satellites + sub-woofer.

Choices ... within 35 k:
- Minx from FX, C.R Park
- Wharfedale Moviestar 70+, from Bass & Treble, Dwarka
- Boston 2310 ... don't know source in Delhi
- Harman Kardon HKTS, C.R Park

Higher budget ... say @ 50 k
- Focal, available with Sight & Sound GK 1
- Q Acoustics, C.P
- KEF .... ?

All the above are on-the-wall types.

I possess the Moviestar 70+, which is very good for movies and excellent for music. The sub-woofer is slightly weak, but I like it that way, as I am not after tight bass. My room size is 15 x 11.

For AVR ... within 25 k:
- Denon 1311
- Pioneer 519/520
- Yamaha 467

No need to look at higher powered ones for this room size.

So, overall budget should be either within 50 k .... or 70 k, depending upon your choice of equipment.

Dear avidyarthy,

You are one of the very few peeps who recommended an HK. Incidentally I am being aggressively marketed the HK AVR 255/355. I went for a demo to Rajouri Garden, Delhi but they did not have the right setup. Maybe coz I am a noob, I am slightly tilted to these AVRs coz of their looks. They match wonderfully wid my Roku, Tata Sky+ HD etc. But then looks are skin deep right?

All,

I would love to hear your thoughts on the HK AVRs. I prefer the ones that support "The Bridge II". Not many people seem to own HKs and the reviews are a mixed bag. Any advice?

Thanks,
~s~

But then looks are skin deep right?
~s~

Well ........ I kind of love only skin ..... :p :lol:

BTW, why don't you make a visit to the Flagship JBL Store at C.R Park. Me thinks the HK 255 / 355 would be a fantastic match with the JBL Control speakers. These can be easily wall mounted.

Settle only for the Control speakers, not any other very small satellites ... forget all the nomenclatures.

4 no. JBL Control one speakers (2 F + 2 Surr), 1 no. Control Centre. Get a sub-woofer separately .....

HK is indeed a very good choice...killing looks...

no1 suggests HK as in the same price range u will find marantz...which is the best in avr...

but if looks are imp then def go for HK 255 (I love its looks ;) )... invest more in AVR and buy the latest (7.1) as the same will make u more future proof, u can any day add 2 more surrounds and make it 7.1 speaker system.

speakers u surely need to audition a lot before finalising...

all the best!

cheers!

Update: 100% Noob needs 200% help

Dear All,

I auditioned Focal Chorus w/ Denon 1611 at Bass 'n' Treble (Dwarka). Focals were the only sats Denny had. It was great but not to my liking. After completely understanding my needs he suggested the following:

AVR: Marantz 5005
Spkrs: Quad L-ite Satellite (5.1)

He would not be able to audition these. Does anyone know where I can. Also what do you all think of this combo. I am 80% Movies and 20% Music and looking for a future proof AVR.

PS: Denny is good. I hope I end up taking my business to him.

Thanks
~s~

Re: Update: 100% Noob needs 200% help

Dear All,

I auditioned Focal Chorus w/ Denon 1611 at Bass 'n' Treble (Dwarka). Focals were the only sats Denny had. It was great but not to my liking. After completely understanding my needs he suggested the following:

AVR: Marantz 5005
Spkrs: Quad L-ite Satellite (5.1)

He would not be able to audition these. Does anyone know where I can. Also what do you all think of this combo. I am 80% Movies and 20% Music and looking for a future proof AVR.

PS: Denny is good. I hope I end up taking my business to him.

Thanks
~s~

Dear All,

Spent a few hours reading up on the 5005 and Quad L-ites. Individually they seem to be best in class but I could not find anyone who used them together. Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Thx,
~s~

Re: Update: 100% Noob needs 200% help

Dear All,

Spent a few hours reading up on the 5005 and Quad L-ites. Individually they seem to be best in class but I could not find anyone who used them together. Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Thx,
~s~

I am using Marantz SR5005 with Energy RC50 Floorstanders. I wanted an AVR that sounded nice with Music. After auditioning Pioneer VSX-920K, Yamaha RXV XX, Denon 1911 and Marantz SR5004, i went with Marantz SR5005 (No Auditioning but knew it was same as SR5004). No AVR came close to Marantz in Music. However, in movies, i liked Denon as well. Marantz's wpc rating is bang on. I think 5005's 100 wpc gives enormous power to my FS.

In your case, if you take Sat Speakers with SR5005, i dont think its justice to 5005. The power produced by 5005 in unbelievable. If you dont have good speakers, you dont need such AVR's unless you are planning for future. Marantz NR-1601 should be sufficient for your Sat's.

I have another Sony HT DDW-800 6.1 HTIB (Sat Speakers), it sounds fabulous for Movies in my 225SFT room but music, i wanted more. So went with Energy+Marantz setup.

I think you should atleast go for bookshelves.

You can also add PSB and Defenitive Technologies Sub Sat Packages in your list of auditions, they both can be paired well with a Denon 1611 or Marantz SR5005. You can also change the fronts in both the packages if your inclinations is more into Music than Movies. You can audition both the above packages at Lakozy Electronics, Delhi showroom.

Read my two phooti kaudis carefully in these threads
No dirth of choices but the money is yours, remember? and regardless of what you buy, there are chances you will wanto upgrade later so why go overboard initially and regret later?

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/15808-home-theater-budget-one-lakh-inr-no-more.html

http://www.hifivision.com/wanted/16777-marantz-nr1501.html

Regards

Dear Trittya,

Well your posts are eh, "enlightening". I read and re-read and pulled this out.

lithos noa1 2.1 setup- 18 k incl wall mounts
lithos q10 as center 11.5 k ncl wall mt
monitor audio m2- 14k

Now my Qs:

1. Can I audition these in Delhi/NCR?
2. What AVR would go best with them (the 4?/8? issue)
3. Would you mind if I bug you over PM

I also saw a post on the violet system (:: Violet ::) on one of the threads. I have called for a demo. Would you know how I can channel multiple audio inputs to this system (TS HD+, BD, XBOX 360, Roku Radio).

Thx,
~s~

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back