100v Nakamichi BX2 deck use with 220v Indian voltage

spanchal

Hello All
I have Ordered Nakamichi BX2 deck from Japan Requires 100v so how to use deck with 220v Indian voltage
Currently I Have 3 options
1) Use with Maxcon step down 110/120v 50W converter available in the market this converter gives 121v~119v output
2) Rewound Original 100v transformer to 220v (Cheaper option)
3) Build A custom transformer 220v to 100v to use with the deck without interfering with original transformer

I am confused with which option to choose kindly help me

Hello All
I have Ordered Nakamichi BX2 deck from Japan Requires 100v so how to use deck with 220v Indian voltage
1) Use with Maxcon step down 110/120v 50W converter available in the market this converter gives 121v~119v output
3) Build A custom transformer 220v to 100v to use with the deck without interfering with original transformer

I would have considered the following options:

1) a Japan specific step-down transformer (not the american-specific one for 110/120 volts) for example like this one
2) I would have written to electronics service labs and enquired about a 220v (european) replacement power transformer for the BX2. Although this is a slightly expensive option, it would mean, you are using an OEM component which is suitable for your deck

As Japanese mains frequency is 60Hz, a change of motor pulley is not required.

Hello All

Don't try to rewind the transformer. The core will not suit 230V. Core is sized for a specific magnetic flux density at 100V, 60Hz. Both voltage and frequency matter in a transformer. A 60Hz core will be smaller than 50Hz and if rewound it will overheat. The turns will be more when rewound to 230V and may not fit the core.

I agree with @reubensm suggestions. Get a OEM 230V transformer.

If I were you, I will not touch the machine at all.

I will just buy a step-down transformer (230 to 100), and that's it.
As it is an external device, nothing to be too fussy about it.

The problem is how to procure one easily, without going the made-to-order way.

One trick that I always use in such cases is to buy/get a manual voltage stabilizer, and use it in the buck mode.
Measure the output voltage till you get 100v. Do not rely on the meter provided (built-in). Use an external standard multimeter.

The rating/specs should be atleast 1/2 KVA or above, with boost range starting below 100 volts. Normally the ratings are 50/70/90 etc. and onwards.

Hope this helps.

If I were you, I will not touch the machine at all.

I will just buy a step-down transformer (230 to 100), and that's it.
As it is an external device, nothing to be too fussy about it.

The problem is how to procure one easily, without going the made-to-order way.

One trick that I always use in such cases is to buy/get a manual voltage stabilizer, and use it in the buck mode.
Measure the output voltage till you get 100v. Do not rely on the meter provided (built-in). Use an external standard multimeter.

The rating/specs should be atleast 1/2 KVA or above, with boost range starting below 100 volts. Normally the ratings are 50/70/90 etc. and onwards.

Hope this helps.
Agree with you but why do you need 500VA for a tape deck? It is hell lot of copper and iron (and money) when compared to a mere max 30VA for a tape deck (very conservative estimate). BX2 consumption is only 23W.

Agree with you but why do you need 500VA for a tape deck? It is hell lot of copper and iron (and money) when compared to a mere max 30VA for a tape deck (very conservative estimate). BX2 consumption is only 23W.
B'coz you do not get one below 200w/VA normally.

And as these are very mass produced items, their ratings are extremely over rated, and also not very pricey.
With a 1/2 KVA unit the components used are also slightly of better quality IME.

If/when one goes for a dedicated converter later, this higher rated-unit will make itself more useful.

Last edited:
Even I have considered this option but I have seen other BX2 decks there transformers are not shielded unlike Japanese BX2 below is link that
https://auc.aleado.com/yahoo/lot?auctionID=q1071422242
Technically a shielded transformer has a grounded copper foil between the primary and secondary windings to remove the interwinding capacitance between the two windings to prevent transfer of transients into the equipment - particularly in hospital equipment.

These covers you see would prevent leakage flux from the transformer from inducing hum into the nearby circuits. In those BX2 without the transformer covers the clearance from other boards might be such designed that the induction is avoided. Another guess is BX2 working on 100V, 60Hz has more current in primary than a 230V, 50Hz unit and could be leaking more flux so needs a cover.

Even I have considered this option but I have seen other BX2 decks there transformers are not shielded unlike Japanese BX2 below is link that
https://auc.aleado.com/yahoo/lot?auctionID=q1071422242
Check with precision transformers Chennai. Their contact is +91 99628 48027. I won't worry much about shielding as well as mains frequency. The transformer has multi tap output followed by rectifier stage on circuit board. Check the service manual for exact details.

Check with precision transformers Chennai. Their contact is +91 99628 48027. I won't worry much about shielding as well as mains frequency. The transformer has multi tap output followed by rectifier stage on circuit board. Check the service manual for exact details.
I Have given order to make a custom 220v transformer locally he will deliver one tomorrow ,also I have one Question that the power switch in the deck is needed to replace to match 220v or only swap 220v transformer? in your deck what changes is done by you to convert deck in 220v

I Have given order to make a custom 220v transformer locally he will deliver one tomorrow ,also I have one Question that the power switch in the deck is needed to replace to match 220v or only swap 220v transformer? in your deck what changes is done by you to convert deck in 220v

No need to replace the switch.

Dear Adityapm, could you please suggest for some of the manual stabilizers with facility as you mentioned? That will be helpful to choose. Thank you.
Regards.

Switch will have to be derated for the current rating if the voltage goes up. In this case it shouldn't matter as your load is a puny 25W or max 30VA.

I have installed new 220v transformer in the deck is working fine but 25v470uf capacitor has leaked after 15 minuets by popping sound and other two capacitors are getting hot and also the pinch roller is very slippery although deck was in pristine condition it is chewing cassette

I have installed new 220v transformer in the deck is working fine but 25v470uf capacitor has leaked after 15 minuets by popping sound and other two capacitors are getting hot and also the pinch roller is very slippery although deck was in pristine condition it is chewing cassette

I had suggested not to touch the machine at all.

Anyway, stop using the machine immediately. Something is gravely wrong.

If you have got capacitors popping, and leaking, then it is a voltage issue somewhere.

Who did the transformer change ? May be there is a mistake in the new-wiring of the transformer.
OR
The new transformer is not a correct substitute.
OR
The specs given to the winder were incorrect.

How did you get the specifications for the transformer ?
You did not have any facility to provide 100 volts !
So how did you get the specs ?

Last edited:
Dear Adityapm, could you please suggest for some of the manual stabilizers with facility as you mentioned? That will be helpful to choose. Thank you.
Regards.

You are welcome .....

The manual voltage stabilizer that I am talking about is a generic item.

All manual stabilizers are same. They all have the same controls, viz.,
(1) A meter,
(2) A 8 position rotary switch,
(3) One indicator lamp,
(4) Boost-Buck toggle switch.

These are on the front. On the back it has the mains cable entry point, and
the mains outlet (3 pin socket), and the fuse.

These items are churned out of the cottage industry, from NewDelhi's Lajjpatrai Market, at very competetive
prices and supplied all over the country., B'coz of which it was never appealing to the big business
houses/corporates to get involved. As a result there is no specific brand image here.

One can buy these from the local electronics market, or get help from the local winders (fan, motor etc)

Hope this helps.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back