1080p Projector Advise Needed

k2max6

Finally I have zeroed down to a 1080p projector inspite of being out of my budget. The HFV effect !
Was about to buy the Epson TW-550 earlier.
> I am thinking of buying the Epson TW-3600 projector. Is it right to buy this projector now considering that it was launched almost 3 years ago?
Any other review?

http://www.projectorcentral.com/home_theater_projectors_1080p_review.htm - TW3600(8350) seems very good and suits my requirements as well. :D

>> If i don't intend to play blurays ,but only br-rips (1080p) & 1080i DTH, is it worth spending almost 50-60% extra for a 1080p projector vs a 720p. Worth as in ;will the difference be evident. For me difference between a a good 720p rip and 1080p rip is hard to spot on a 40" unless standing uplcose. I suppose on a 120" screen it would be seen??
My seating distance would be 11 ft - 16 ft. I just want to be sure as i have to spend a lot more than my budget.

I am thinking of being future proof for some years atleast.

Help please!! I am desperately waiting to buy it.

Last edited:
Again depends on perceptions - I will keep my bid (and that is what I have done) at a 720p with something which is more a recent product. A 3 year old product with 1080p - is it not like buying a Full HD LCD TV in today's date. Also the review you may be referring to will be applicable to the time when the product was launched. In a time when technology changes (or overhauls itself) every 3 to 6 months, I personally will not buy something launched 3 years back (ignorant to the time tested factor for tech products)

On 1080 vs 720p - a 1080p poor rip with artefacts and low bit rate will kill the video against a good 720p rip. Again at more than 10 feet (minus the close up shots and if the intent is not too naughty on the projector ;) i.e. watching super models up and close) I have not seen much difference in 1080p and 720p displays. But on a 120 inch screen - honestly no idea on that part and how 1080p will look on it. My observations are more based on 100 inch diagonal screen.

Finally I have zeroed down to a 1080p projector inspite of being out of my budget. The HFV effect !
Was about to buy the Epson TW-550 earlier.
> I am thinking of buying the Epson TW-3600 projector. Is it right to buy this projector now considering that it was launched almost 3 years ago?
Any other review?

1080p SHOOTOUT - Eight 1080p Projectors under $1500 - TW3600(8350) seems very good and suits my requirements as well. :D

>> If i don't intend to play blurays ,but only br-rips (1080p) & 1080i DTH, is it worth spending almost 50-60% extra for a 1080p projector vs a 720p. Worth as in ;will the difference be evident. For me difference between a a good 720p rip and 1080p rip is hard to spot on a 40" unless standing uplcose. I suppose on a 120" screen it would be seen??
My seating distance would be 11 ft - 16 ft. I just want to be sure as i have to spend a lot more than my budget.

I am thinking of being future proof for some years atleast.

Help please!! I am desperately waiting to buy it.

Hi I have acome across today a good deal for DLP 1080 p projector at USD 1050 for a Mitsubishi HC 4000 which susually retails at 2000 USD. If you have someone in returning from US you can try this.:yahoo:

This also has a anamorphic mode also.

Mitsubishi HC4000 HD DLP Projector - 1300 ANSI Lumens, 1080p, 1920x1080, 4000:1, HDMI, 7.7 lb at TigerDirect.com

How About Benq 1070 which is 3D and has got rave reviews !!

If i were you, i'd not compromise on 1080. I might compromise on 3D but not resolution. We are already talking about 4k and if you intend to buy new, i'll say go for the highest resolution you can afford. If it is used, and you are getting it dirt cheap (say 20k ish) i might consider a compromise but not if i'm paying anything higher. If i had 50k to spare, then i'd do everything i can to try and get it from US or something but i'd gun for 1080. Once you get hooked to this thing, you will want to watch a blu ray and you might be left wondering "what if..".

Thanks for all the replies. I am not keen on getting it from US due to warranty issues. A bit afraid.The person carrying it would just bring it.He won't be able to check it before bringing it to India.Even if i get it somehow i won't be able to send it back for replacement as i don't have people going frequently.(BTW are there chances a unit turning out dead on arrival,if bought from US?)

So i am left to India.
Mitsubishi HC4000 was available for 90k (with bill) a few days back, but is out of stock now.I'll see if i find it.
As far as Epson TW-3600 is concerned whats the take? Its available for 84k with bill. Should buy or not ? Should i eliminate it completely from my choices? I really like its placement flexibility as well.

I am a bit afraid to buy a DLP as i think i am a bit susceptible to rainbow effect and the annoyance may increase in future,I don't want to take a risk?
Although i would be going in for a Benq demo and see how i feel. I think i can get the Benq W1070.Looks good.

> Can DLP projectors cause headache? I watched a acer XGA projector for a few hours and had a headache. I don't know if it was due to makeshift arrangement or what; or just coincidence,maybe too much brightness(2700 lumens). How do i verify? Some sources on the internet say that DLP may cause headache to some people? ( i googled dlp projector headache and a lot of results popped up)

HD25 is again out of budget,HD20 is in budget.I am trying to stay around 80k max.

Last edited:
TW3600/8350@84k is an absolute steal... If you dont care about 3D like me & want the best placement flexibility possible then this is ur best bet... Dont worry about it being"3 year old" model... It is a beauty to watch... My projector is a similar 3LCD one(albert a highend model) & I have watched 2 hindi movies back to back & watched a whole Cricket match with friends... Not felt any kind of headache.... 4K will take a few years to catch on so right now a 1080p projector is the best thing you can buy... You wont regret it... Increasing ur budget was a good move :) ...

PS if u want 3D then TW6000 is also there but you loose len shift & have to increase ur budget atleast 25k... Not really worth it in my opinion although I have heard good things about its 3D capability...

Anyways, you need to upgrade to 4K in coming years, so I will go for 720p and have a straight upgrade to 4K then.

Why spend extra when you are going to watch ripped versions and from a good distance.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to your financial health, if on a tight budget go for 720p.

Another thing, 3D will be big thing soon, I am sure the 2015 IPL will be on 3D.

Last edited:
> I really like TW3600 for the lens shift.Takes away all my placement woes.I dont't have a dedicated HT room.
> TW6100 is expensive by 13k over 3600 and comes with 3d glasses.But no lens shift.
> I don't have a HT right now. Only 2.1.

Option 1 - TW3600 / 6100 - no HT for atleast a year.
Option 2- TW550 (720p) plus a decent HT.Its cheaper by approx 35k from the 3600 and almost 50k cheaper than the 6100. Upgrade to the latest 1080p/4k in 3-5 years. I am pretty sure by then 1080p pjs will be cheaper than the 720p pjs costing now and Ultra HD's should be below 1lac.

Both ideas seem good. I'll take a demo again and see how 720p looks. TW550 is very comfortable in my budget. Budget it tight but i don't want to be thinking 'what if'. i already have a blu ray player that i use as a media player. So its 720p 3D vs 1080p Lens Shift vs 1080p 3D.

Thanks

Last edited:
see dont just think 6100 or a 1080 model and 550 720p model is just based on reso...
the pq of the higher one is absolutly no match with the lower...
say 6100 and 550...6100 will be much much better pq...i am not anyway considering the reso..forget the reso..
so please buy 3600/6100///u wont rehgret

HD25 is again out of budget,HD20 is in budget.I am trying to stay around 80k max.

I got a quote of 89K which is slightly negotiable for Optoma HD 25 in chennai, will need to take up a demo sometime this week. This one being April 2013 launch and with really good reviews please check this one before making a final call.

Also there are 2 models Optoma HD 25(2000 lumens) and HD 25 Lv(3200 lumens) apart from the Lumens is there any other difference between them?

I got a quote of 89K which is slightly negotiable for Optoma HD 25 in chennai, will need to take up a demo sometime this week. This one being April 2013 launch and with really good reviews please check this one before making a final call.

Also there are 2 models Optoma HD 25(2000 lumens) and HD 25 Lv(3200 lumens) apart from the Lumens is there any other difference between them?

I believe the only difference between HD25 & HD25LV is the Lumens in 2D only. Apparently 3D is not any different between the two. Can you share the details of the dealer ?

Jayant

I believe the only difference between HD25 & HD25LV is the Lumens in 2D only. Apparently 3D is not any different between the two. Can you share the details of the dealer ?

Jayant

LV denotes Large View. The projector can project an image larger than 300" diagonal on screen with higher Lumens.

Quoting my post from another thread.
Link
The difference between 1080p and 720p is not minimal. It may not be very big depending on distance, but there is quite a bit of difference. But there is another aspect as well about 3 LCD. All the 3 chip projectors due have some convergence issues. But at 720p, the pixels are quite bigger. If there is convergence, that also becomes big in millimeters. That will give you blurry picture. At 1080p, pixel size is small so whatever the convergence is - that is also small in millimeters. Moreover, 1080p has more pixels and gives you overall more sharper, contrasty and 3d like picture.

If you still want 720p, I would suggest sticking with DLP. Atleast you won't have to worry about convergence.

Its not the matter whether you are watching 720p material or 1080p. 720p material will still look better on 1080p display due to increased resolution and resulting sharpness. Believe me - when I went from 720p to 1080p, there was a quite a bit of jump in picture quality. If you can afford 1080p, buy it. As for 4k - its pricing is around 20k USD. It will take quite a few years to get to 2k USD level. ;)

Finally ordered the Epson TW-6100. :yahoo:
Will get it tomorrow.Thanks to everyone for helping me out.

Any reviews on the screens from Projection Screen - Wall Mount Screens and Screens Holder Importer and Supplier | Cine Udyog India, Delhi
110" 16:9 Instalock is available for 6k. They also make custom screens but they are available in spring loaded mechanism.Looking for 120"-130"
I have no money left for buying a better screen.

Also have to buy a UPS. Would 850VA be sufficient for 6100 or 1KVA/1100VA ?

Congratulations k2max6...happy viewing and welcome to the most rapidly growing projector owners family. Now waiting eagerly for pics and a quick review.

Given that you are in Gurgaon a 1 KVA UPS will help, you may use it to connect a small powered device to provide video to your PJ as well.

BTW, what was the final landing cost.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back