1959 The Year that Changed Jazz

Amazing documentary. Saw it from start to finish this morning.
So much of the history and background info in there. Fascinating!

Will be listening the albums first thing I do when I get back home this evening.

Super share Nikhil!

Watched a bit but realised it runs for 58 minutes so I'll save it for later. At least two of the 4 albums mentioned broke new ground - Ornette Coleman's 'Shape' signalling the birth of free jazz, Brubeck's Time-Out introducing complex time signatures for the first time. (I am still enamoured by the 9/8 timing embedding a 4/4 signature in Blue Rondo a la turk).

Kind of Blue, a great album in it's own right, was perhaps inspired by Cannonball Adderley's Something Else released a year earlier in 1958, where Miles is listed as a sideman because he was signed up with Columbia and here he was playing for Blue Note, resulting in Cannonball being credited as a band leader.

In the few minutes that I watched, I didn't see any mention of a fifth album released that same year - Art Blakey's Moanin'. Moanin' has not only become a standard, but showcases the young Lee Morgan on trumpet and Benny Golson on tenor sax at their best.

I'm going to see the full video as soon as I get a chance - want to watch it on a bigger screen, not on a cell phone ;)

Enjoyed watching the video. Thought Coltrane’s Giant Steps too came out the same year.

To be honest, I would’ve preferred Giant Steps to be included instead of Shape of Jazz. Never much cared for Coleman. I tend to agree with what Miles had to say about him in his autobiography.
But it was nice to hear Charlie Haden speak; a truly gentle soul. Mingus used to call him ‘Bass’ :)

Have been listening to these albums with a new enthusiasm after watching this documentary.
There is so much to hear and appreciate in the music - like rediscovering some old friends!

Brubeck's "Time Out" still seems to be the one that I enjoy very easily. This is such a giant of an album. I remember the first time I heard it - not knowing what to make of the staccato beginning of "Blue Rondo a la Turk". But it slowly settles into the more mellow "Strange Meadow Lark" before setting up the gem of the album "Take 5". Joe Morello's drum work still stands out and it is interesting to see the story behind it. Brubeck's piano just seems to sit back and guide the tune with Paul Desmond's haunting melody hanging in the air. The lines flow so well as you go into the song that it just melts into you.

"Three to Get Ready" is an underrated song on the album. Following "Take 5" it keeps a lilting piano tune that slowly gets ragged for a brief moment before settling back into the opening melodic line. "Kathy's Waltz" is a mellow number with a little ragtime thrown in for added flavor. The cool restraint in "Everybody's Jumpin" is remarkable given the implied built up energy in the number. The album concludes with a steady number in "Pick Up Sticks" that has Desmond's trumpet and Brubeck's piano work play on Eugene Wright's underlying bass line.

Simply remarkable that after all these years the album has an appeal that stands the test of time.
Look forward to hearing others impressions on these albums ...

Regards

I was thinking of adding this to the jazz thread but decided that this one may deserve a discussion of it's own.
Some really great commentary on what went on to become some of the greatest jazz music ever.

thanks for sharing...what a wonderful video, especially or folks like me with a very limited knowledge of jazz.

Have been listening to these albums with a new enthusiasm after watching this documentary.
There is so much to hear and appreciate in the music - like rediscovering some old friends!

Brubeck's "Time Out" still seems to be the one that I enjoy very easily. This is such a giant of an album. I remember the first time I heard it - not knowing what to make of the staccato beginning of "Blue Rondo a la Turk". But it slowly settles into the more mellow "Strange Meadow Lark" before setting up the gem of the album "Take 5". Joe Morello's drum work still stands out and it is interesting to see the story behind it. Brubeck's piano just seems to sit back and guide the tune with Paul Desmond's haunting melody hanging in the air. The lines flow so well as you go into the song that it just melts into you.

"Three to Get Ready" is an underrated song on the album. Following "Take 5" it keeps a lilting piano tune that slowly gets ragged for a brief moment before settling back into the opening melodic line. "Kathy's Waltz" is a mellow number with a little ragtime thrown in for added flavor. The cool restraint in "Everybody's Jumpin" is remarkable given the implied built up energy in the number. The album concludes with a steady number in "Pick Up Sticks" that has Desmond's trumpet and Brubeck's piano work play on Eugene Wright's underlying bass line.

Simply remarkable that after all these years the album has an appeal that stands the test of time.
Look forward to hearing others impressions on these albums ...

Regards

A Brubeck album that 'changed jazz' in more ways than one, is 'Jazz at Oberlin' recorded live at the classically oriented Oberlin College 6 years earlier in 1953, rated by many as one of the defining moments in jazz history.
This was the first time live jazz was brought to a white college audience. There were doubts about the audience accepting this kind of music. Brubeck was not even allowed to play on their regular piano for fear that he may spoil it by playing jazz. But what followed resulted in one of the quartet's best performances, each piece receiving a thunderous applause and the audience crying for more at the end.
“Jazz at Oberlin was one of the early works in the cool jazz stream of jazz that indicated new directions for jazz that didn't slavishly mirror bebop, and even hinted at free-jazz piano techniques still years away from realisation"- The Guardian
Both Brubeck and Desmond are at the top of their game here. Apparently, an argument had developed between Paul and dave just before the concert, which continued during the concert by each trying to outplay the other (this is so evident when one listens), while the drummer Lloyd Davis played with a 103 degree fever!
"Desmond's swinging inventiveness provides the launching pad from which Brubeck gets into myriad changes that may leave you breathless."
"To say Desmond had “Petrushka” on the brain during his “Way You Look Tonight” solo would be an understatement, but I didn’t recognise the recurring Stravinsky quote until later. What I did notice was how Desmond was taking that idea and turning it every which way as an integral part of his solo"
Don't miss this album if you are a Brubeck fan. It will leave you speechless, breathless and wanting more.
Cheers!

Mar 3, 2019 marks the 60th Anniversary of the first recording session of what would become the best-selling jazz record of all time; a universally acknowledged masterpiece, revered as much by rock and classical music fans as by jazz lovers.

The album is Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. Kind of Blue brought together seven now-legendary musicians in the prime of their careers: tenor saxophonist John Coltrane, alto saxophonist Julian "Cannonball" Adderley, pianists Bill Evans and Wynton Kelly, bassist Paul Chambers, drummer Jimmy Cobb and, of course, trumpeter Miles Davis.

To be honest, I would’ve preferred Giant Steps to be included instead of Shape of Jazz. Never much cared for Coleman. I tend to agree with what Miles had to say about him in his autobiography.
But it was nice to hear Charlie Haden speak; a truly gentle soul. Mingus used to call him ‘Bass’ :)
Coltrane , in 'kind of blue' was the perfect foil to Miles's lyricism with his searing and impossible solos and the moment he enters with his solo in 'so what ' the song and the album changed forever . 'Giant steps ' deserves a place up there.

‘Kind of Blue’ ,whilst fully deserving of its legendary stature in jazz recordings, is simultaneously a peak and a cul-de-sac. Neither Miles nor any of his illustrious sidemen ever recorded anything similar again. Modal jazz had made its pitch, and receded thereafter. Jazz, in the hands of Miles, Coltrane, Evans, et al, moved on towards other directions.

‘Kind of Blue’ ,whilst fully deserving of its legendary stature in jazz recordings, is simultaneously a peak and a cul-de-sac. Neither Miles nor any of his illustrious sidemen ever recorded anything similar again. Modal jazz had made its pitch, and receded thereafter. Jazz, in the hands of Miles, Coltrane, Evans, et al, moved on towards other directions.

Understandably so. These guys just got together and "caught lightening in a bottle" as they say.
I don't know if the same lineup ever played again together. But even if they did it would be hard to get repeat that magic.

Coltrain, I have liked Ornette Coleman since I heard the opening notes of “Lonely Woman”. Have also liked Don Cherry a lot. And if my hifi info is correct, Haden had a Naim amp.

In terms of accessibility, it will be Take 5 (who doesn’t like a drum solo), kind of blue, ah um and shape of jazz. So it is natural we gravitate in that order. My “number of times played” would most likely be nearly reverse. Except I stopped listening to Mingus a little after reading about the famous Jimmy Knepper incident. No point glorifying his violence as artistic temperament.

To make a top 4 list and this should be there and that shouldn’t is very difficult indeed. And who better to argue than possibly the most argumentative set in the plant.

What a fun video it was. Nikhil, made my Saturday office commute a little easier.

Coltrane , in 'kind of blue' was the perfect foil to Miles's lyricism with his searing and impossible solos and the moment he enters with his solo in 'so what ' the song and the album changed forever . 'Giant steps ' deserves a place up there.
Totally agree.
Also, do check out Coltrane’s solo on the alternate take of Flamenco Sketches. To me, the definition of ‘yearning’ by any musical instrument.

Great album!
I’m also very partial to the 2 Jazz Impressions records: of Eurasia and of Japan. Those were my first Brubeck albums on cassette, back in college. Along with a live version of Take Five that blew my mind!

Modal jazz had made its pitch, and receded thereafter.

Not quite. Check out these albums from the 60s:
Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock
Adam’s Apple - Wayne Shorter
The Real McCoy - McCoy Tyner
Page One - Joe Henderson
Ole - John Coltrane
Sunday at the Village Vanguard - Bill Evans
And lots more.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back