2.1 Speaker system under 10k

adisakke

hi guys

i am just a novice in audio dept.
i need some help to figure out the best 2.1 speaker system available in India for a budget of 12k.
Basic need is to listen to music from a laptop, or mobile, occasional gaming and few movies. As my room size is small (110 sq feet) and i live in the top floor of a flat & do not wish to make huge disturbance to my neighbors. I think its good to go for a 2.1 rather than a full blown 5.1 setup like Logitech z5500.
i know my choices are very limited to Logitech Z2300; Klipsch gmx A 2.1, and if available the Altec lansing MX5021; donot know if i hav got other choices.
It wud be so great for the best audio guru's here to help me out to fix on one.
also wud like to know the availability of klipsch speakers like pro media 2.1 in Ahmadabad, Gujarat.

Thanking you all

Adisakku

Active:
AE5
if not in budget, then AE2
PERIOD

Passive:
Wharf/Monitor Audio

Either (active/passive) will cut the crap outta any 2.1 in that budget, perhaps even in the bass dept

Go for A5 if your budget is around 15k all inc.

Or better still, Wharf + Norge for about 20k.

Will compare/beat A5.

Something to keep in mind for Audioengine 5 - it can be had for $250 shipped in the US if you go for a b-stock unit. You'll have to ask someone to carry them to India for you though!

thank you guys for u'r valuable inputs

well i think i'd have to settle for an A2

is it possible to get an audition of these in India?

also as whr do i get an A5 for 15k all inc as specified by Tech boy?

Last edited:
It isn't 15. It is more like 19800+shipping for the black version. :( Sorry, about that.

You can audition in Mumbai.

Otherwise ask the sellers if they have sold it to somebody in Delhi. I think they have. They might be able to arrange an audition.

However, at 10k, you definitely don't have any other choice which is better.

You will need to extend your budget by at least another 10-15k (that is to a total of 20-25k) for any kind of upgrade from the AE2s.

I got a reply from bajaao website to my query for audioengine a2b;

It states that they do not sell the A2 anymore because of many customer complaints. The failure rate for the A2 is very high.
would recommend the M-Audio AV40 or the Edirol MA-15D instead. Both are available for Rs.10000 a pair.

now confused...i researched about the A2 and this one was impressive, small yet powerful ;sleek looks too...
but is it true of the failure rate and wht about their claim of 3 year warranty here?

The failure rate is high in India because of some fault with the production for this region.

However, if you can buy the AE5, then nothing like it.

Alternately,
buy the cheapest Wharf speakers you can get 9.1 or lower with Norge 2060/2030 and this setup would cost around 16-18k, slightly cheaper than AE5 and comparable imo.

BTW

Bajaao is probably just trying to woo you to their other products because they don't have them in stock right now. audioengineindia.com has them in stock for 10400.

i got to knw tht but iam now confused of thr reliability and wht about their warranty claim?
do they replace the defective systems in warranty period ?

AFAIK the warranty is 1 year.

Check that out.

Within warranty, you will probably only need to bear the shipping expenses.

If you can extend your budget by a few grands, there are many other options possible.

Logitech Z-2300 review

Me, Different: Generally users tend to provide the subjective review of their product, so I will try to be more technical and base by review from both technical and subjective aspects.

When Logitech introduced Z-2300 back in 2004, it was a THX certified premium quality top of the range product. The Logitech engineers in the lab where given a clear goal i.e. to create the ultimate 2.1 multimedia speaker system in the world. They were not concerned about the price, they were more concerned about the performance & quality which lead in using premium quality components, be it electronic components, speakers used, wooden casings of the subwoofers, plastic casings of the satellites and even the wires used to connect the components. Price was never an issue, performance was. This single mindedness of the engineers produced a unique product, and Z-2300 was born.

Logitech introduced Z-623 in 2010 six years after Z-2300 reign. Actually I cannot recall of a 2.1 PC speaker that remained at the top of the performance charts for straight six years. They had to make the successor not because Z-2300 was getting old and becoming incompetent, believe me it is still is the king, but because the rival manufactures like Altec Lansing, Edifier, Creative, Sony etc are producing cheaper sets of same wattage and same configuration and labeling them as their premium product. Also 2.1 speakers sets are no more the cash cows of audio manufactures, rather these companies makes a lot of profit from selling the 5.1 & 7.1 speakers sets.

Thus, engineers this time were given a strict goal to make a good set at a certain price limit during Z-623 designing phase. So what you get is a good product but not an excellent one like Z-2300. This is evident when Logitechs Senior Product Manager Garth Morgans introduced the Z-623 and called it a cleverly engineered product which indirectly means Tried our best to keep minimum performance loss in comparison to Z-2300 and at the same time cut cost in every possible way.

Z-2300 is THX certified.
Total Power: 200 W
Power distribution: 120 W (Subwoofer) + 2 X 40 W (Satellites)
Subwoofer: 120 W @ 8 ohms @ 10% THD @ 100Hz
Subwoofer Size (inch): 8
Subwoofer Type: Long Throw with 6th order bass reflex
Satellites: 80 W (2 X 40 W) @ 8 ohms @ 10% THD @ 1kHz
Satellite Size (inch): 2.5
Satellite Type: Polished aluminum phase plug drivers
Frequency response: 35 Hz - 20 kHz
Signal to noise ratio: @ 1kHz > 100dB
Sound Pressure Level (SPL): 117db
Subwoofer dimensions(HWD): 11" X 11" X 15"
Satellite dimensions(HWD): 6.75" X 3.5" X 6"
Weight(Kgs): 15

The subwoofer is huge, in every sense of the word. The behemoth measures 11 (H) X 11 (W) X 15 (D), and its output could rattle the paint off your walls. The wall of the sub is made of 16 mm thick medium density fiberboard (MDF) which is quite impressive. It has been further strengthened with internal clamps in the joints. This adds tremendous strength to the box in order to withstand the slamming, heavy duty sound waves produced by the massive 8 inch long throw 70W Tang Band (W8-670Q) front facing driver. The subwoofer also houses a patented U shaped exponentially increasing bass reflex port to produce distortion free deep and rich bass experience. The enclosure is very deep, which is obviously good from an acoustical standpoint.

Z-2300 uses 2.5 inch polished aluminum phase plug drivers in their satellites and are beautifully crafted to look like a piece of art. The drivers of Z-2300 are 12W units made by Tang Band (W3-594SB). With the polished aluminum phase plug drivers helping to reduce the path length differences about the cone surface, you get a smoothing and reinforcing the frequency response, particularly in terms of the highest frequencies the driver is capable of. There is some thermal dissipation one gives up by doing this, but the phase plug itself can serve as a heat sink for the voice coil and magnet pole.

Z-2300 houses the amplifier in their subwoofer assembly and is of very high quality. It is powered by a toroidal transformer made by Ten Pao International. Judging by the size of the core and the thickness of the wire in the secondary windings, the power is very decent. A toroidal transformer uses a doughnut shaped core & is much slimmer than a conventional (EI) transformer and at the same time it is much more expensive than a conventional transformer. A toroidal transformer has so many performance advantages over conventional transformer that it is hard to describe here other than to provide the performance ratio.
Toroidal : Conventional :: 158 : 5

The amplifier uses:
i) Two STMicroelectronics 80W- TDA7295 amplifiers bridged together to provide a total of 2 X 80=160W for the subwoofer.
ii) Two STMicroelectronics 60W-TDA7296 amplifiers powering each of the satellites.
iii) A Japan Radio Corporations JRC-4565 operational amplifier for pre-amplification.
iv) Filtering of the audio signal is done by two beefy 10,000 uF capacitors.
Total RMS Power = 80(TDA7295) + 80(TDA7295) + 60(TDA7296) + 60(TDA7296) = 280 W

Any amplifier will produce a lot of distortion & noise at the peak. So, in order to produce distortion free, ultra linear sound the amplifiers generally need to reduce its output peak power by 25% or more.

Reduced Total RMS Power = 60(TDA7295) + 60(TDA7295) + 40(TDA7296) + 40(TDA7296) = 200W

The general rule of thumb is one should have an amplifier that can deliver power equal to twice the speakers continuous IEC power rating. This means that a speaker with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms and a continuous IEC power rating of 70 watts will require an amplifier that can produce 140 watts into an 8 ohm load. This is because a quality speaker can handle transient peaks in excess of its rated power if the amplifier can deliver those peaks without distortion. Using an amplifier with some extra headroom will help assure that only clean, undistorted power gets to your speakers.

The total continuous IEC power rating the speakers is:
[70 W (Subwoofer)] + [2 X 12 = 24(Satellites)] = 70 + 24 =94 W

So, in this case the 200 W amplifier of Z-2300 is almost twice as powerful as the speakers 94 W continuous IEC power rating.

There is a massive heatsink located at the back of the subwoofer to cool the 200 W amplifier. Toroidal transformers stay magnetized once turned off. This again testifies to their efficiency, but if the transformer is turned back on during the same positive AC cycle, higher currents are drawn from the line. This condition is called in-rush. It is not dangerous to the transformer and is easily rectified with the help of a slow blow fuse found at the back of the subwoofer. Overall I am highly satisfied with the design, detailing and high quality components used along with the built in safety features of the amplifier.

The control pod of the Z-2300 is quite simple and minimalistic, which I prefer. No fancy lights just a big volume knob, a bass control, a 3.5 mm headphone jack, power LED and a power button. You can keep the control pod on your desk where ever you like and the controls are very convenient.

A THX Certified Multimedia Speaker system is designed for those who crave the power and performance of home theater and studio sound at the desktop.THX certification recreates peak, Reference Level quality at your desktop listening position. THX worked closely with Logitech during product development, ensuring the two-satellite and subwoofer Z-2300 speaker system was meticulously mapped to THX design standards. Then, THX performed more than 400 bench tests, including frequency response, noise, distortion and power. The result is a THX Certified Multimedia Speaker system that delivers THX Reference Level sound pressure and fidelity letting you hear every bass note, sound effect and dialogue as it was created in the studio.

Music: Throughout my 2 years with Z-2300, one thing became very clear; these are very neutral sounding speakers. What is produced by these speakers is very smooth, and very pleasant to listen to. The one thing that does come to mind when listening though is power. Z-2300 is capable of producing 117 dB which is a world record for a 2.1 multimedia speaker system. The subwoofer lets itself be known with its slamming tight & precise bass which at times are powerful enough to knock the wind out of your lungs. The satellites feature a nice, natural sound with excellent representation. If the user wants, they can boost the subwoofer levels through the roof though my ears will be bleeding by then.

I am dealing with one of the best solutions for pure listening pleasure, with a clean sound devoid of any colorings, embellishment or ornamentation in the sound, commonly found in Altec Lansing and Creative speaker systems. Now I can easily hear many of the previously obscure details in the compositions of a complicated music composition, and can clearly set apart all the instruments used in the music composition, thus I am able to focus not only on the primary instrument, which is audible, but also on the fact that what instrument I want to hear.

Even though these are not two way satellites, the phase plug allows the 2.5 driver to more accurately reproduce the high end of the frequency spectrum. There is no background noise with these speakers, and definitely none of the hiss that my Altec Lansing MX-5021 suffered from. The analog input was very clean, and it was able to reproduce the sound with great accuracy.

Movies: These speakers are exceptionally clear at reproducing dialogue, as well as action, in a wide variety of movies. Even when there is a lot of action and music on screen, dialogue is never drowned out, nor does it get muddy or indistinct. The lack of any kind of hiss also helps in playback, as the softer, more subtle scenes draw the viewer into the movie. The satellites do an outstanding job of reproduction. When the action gets heavy, the subwoofer really kicks in. The bass is tight and strong, and it will make a users chest thump if the content calls for it. Never once did it sound like the subwoofer bottomed out, or sound strained, or even chuffed. Overall, for a 2.1 set of speakers, these turned out to be quite good for movie reproduction.

Games: This is probably the area where these speakers excel the most. The satellites are very clear in gaming, and their mid-bass is very present, but not overpowering. The satellites are able to provide excellent sound in a variety of gaming situations, and the ability to accurately reproduce the HRTF effects makes for a very immersive experience.

Verdict: Z-2300 is hitting the end of its production cycle. It is the last of the titans which is finally going to take slumber.

Its successor Z-623 which I also have tested will take its place. The sound characteristics of Z-623 are near identical to Z-2300 be it in music, movies or games, the only difference being the magnitude of the sound. For sure Z-623 is not as loud as Z-2300s 117 dB maybe it hovers around 107 dB. Z-2300 seems to have a little bit more precise, slamming and deeper bass response from its 8 inch driver which the Z-623 is not able to manage from its 7 inch driver, though the midrange is equal for both the speaker systems. Z-2300 had little edge on treble response than Z-623 and the high frequencies are little more detailed.

The truth is, if you have not experienced the almighty Z-2300, its successor the Z-623 will simply blow you away, but if you had, you will realize it is not a match for Z-2300. All in all Z-623 is a rock solid 2.1 speaker system capable to let the Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultras, Creative Gigaworks T3s or Sony SRS DB500s eat its dust. As for Z-2300 it is still the king of this heard.

If you really need a high end 2.1 THX certified multimedia speaker system dont waste any more time and get a Z-2300 while it is still available, and if they are not then only but a Z-623.

One of the unknown names, currently in Indian PC speaker market happens to be Sony. One of my friends being a Sony fanboy purchased their SRS-DB500 on September,2010 at Rs.9,000.

Yesterday i was spending some time with him at his home, so I was able to see it in flesh & also hear at full blast for quite some time. Here is my review:

Like Logitech Z-2300 or Z-623, Sony SRS-DB500 packs Tyson-strength. I mean they have the sonic wallop to make your ears bleed with its raw power. Sony states that DB-500 have 350W RMS of power. They subwoofer makes 150W & the satellites gets 75W each. But since the manufacturer had not stated either they are total peak power or total RMS power, they are almost always going to be the former.

So the total RMS power is half of total peak power which stands at 175W RMS. This is a very respectable figure and is only 25W RMS short of Z-2300 & Z-623 200W RMS power. So real power distribution:
Subwoofer: 75W RMS
Satellites: 37.5W RMS X 2

Sonys engineers have decided to get busy with the illuminations, placing a ring of red light around the large volume knob at the top of the system. Not only does this work as a volume indicator, it also throbs and revolves in time to the music or sound effects your listening to, with three different effects that you can select using the remote control. Though this to newcomers act as an attraction, to me being an audiophile are waste of money and should be better spent in providing better quality components.

Luminous 'bling' aside, the controls are simple, with an on/off switch, an input selector and two bass and treble buttons which toggle the volume control between master volume and bass/treble volume respectively. The one area where Sony has gone a bit light is on the sockets. Beyond the two non-standard connectors for the satellite speakers, we get a pair of stereo phono inputs for the main source at the back, plus a single 3.5mm auxiliary input and a headphone socket. This makes a certain amount of sense if youre hooking up a games console, media player or Blu-Ray/DVD player as your main source, but its weird to hook up a set of desktop PC speakers to your PC using the slightly messy auxiliary input at the front.

The satellites are 2.5" full range drivers just like Z-2300 or Z-623. The sound produced by them are clear and vibrant. But they lack the characteristic precision, crispness and brassy sound notes of the Logitech's. Both Z-2300 & Z-623 uses polished aluminium phase plug drivers which are far superior and costs much more than DB500's satellite drivers.

Z-2300's satellites have the best sound quality, maximum power output at 40W RMS per channel and obviously the best looking of the lot. Z-623 have less power at 35 W per channel but are still better than DB-500 since it produces a much more wider & detailed sound-stage.

The subwoofer of DB-500 uses a 6.2 inch driver and packs 75 watts of earth rattling power. But the bass, while powerful, isnt actually that well defined. That cavernous bass you come across in so many Massive Attack tracks works well, but the acoustic bass in the Bill Evans Trios working of Some Day My Prince Will Come lacks focus. Z-623's subwoofer at 130 W is much more powerful, and it's 7 inch driver is able to create a more precise and more well defined bass.

Z-2300 subwoofer at 120W RMS is the best of the lot. It wins hands down due to its technical advantage over the rest. The 8 inch driver is the biggest of the lot. The characteristic punchy bass that it creates is far superior to DB-500 and is not only suited to music but also movies and games as well. Z-2300's subwoofer have a Jackel & Hide character. It can produce punchy bass, cavernous bass, acoustic bass or any kind of bass you through at it. And the depth of the bass is stupendous.

The SRS-DB500s actually seem more sensible if used with a console to replace under-powered TV speakers, but here Id counsel you to see if you can track down the Logitech Z-2300 or Logitech Z-632 or Altec Lansing MX-5021 sets, which produce much better results. The SRS-DB500s are still amongst the best as gaming speakers and also for watching movies.

DB-500 lacks the single minded attitude of performance over looks that I find in Z-2300. The Logitech engineers were so busy with the sound quality & the quality of the components used that they ignored this illumination makeups. The result is THX certification medal of honor which DB-500 does not possess.

Verdict
Big, beefy, somewhat brash speakers with the right credentials for big action games and movies. However, this isnt as musical or versatile as Logitech Z-2300 system.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back