2.1 Speakers under Rs.2500

rishiguru

Review of Tech-Com SSD-3200 FM

I have a Logitech Z-2300 THX certified 200 watt RMS speaker system connected with my PC in which I listen to music & play movies. The sound quality of Z-2300 being THX certified is phenomenal and is truly the Big Boss of any 2.1 speaker system.

Recently I had a need for a small speaker system in which I can hear music & more importantly FM which I dearly miss from my college days. Meet the Tech-Com SSD-3200 FM, 2.1 speaker system.

Apart from connecting it to your PC the speaker system also have a built-in USB port for connecting a drive and playing music from it .It comes with a SD card reader to play mp3 songs. It also has built-in FM radio and comes with a wireless infrared remote controller, all at Rs.1400 (tax included). Phew!!!

The set comes with
Tech-Com SSD 3200 FM
Audio cable
Remote controller
User Manual

The Real One

Tech-Com SSD-3200 FM web page is provided below:
Tech-Com affordable, latest, Computer Parts, DVD, LCD Monitor, Keyboard, Speakers

The truth is Tech-Com do not manufacture this set. They actually do import this set from an OEM manufacturer in China and sell in India. The name of this OEM manufacturer is Enkor. Now, Enkor is ISO:9001 certified company which is excellent. This means SSD-3200 goes through strict quality control through the entire manufacturing process.

Enkor does have an office in India. They also sell self branded speakers in India but not this one. Tech-Com SSD-3200 FM is based on Enkor S2112 model. You can check in the link below:
Enkor S2112

Enkor S2112 has only the FM with the speaker set. For Tech-Com they have added the USB & SD card module on the top of the subwoofer and also provided an infrared remote control. All in all SSD-3200 is a pumped up version of Enkors own S2112.

Design

The SSD 3200 FM has a very simple design. The speakers have a glossy finish on the front and matte on the sides and have a single 3 inch driver each taking care of the mid-range and the treble. Unfortunately, the speakers aren't adjustable and the drivers fire straight forward towards your elbows instead of your ears. They aren't even angled upwards to make up for the lack of adjustment option.

The subwoofer employs a band-pass enclosure so the insides are split by a partition on which the 4 inch bass driver is mounted. One of the two created spaces is sealed while the other is ported. As such the driver is not visible from the outside and the sound comes out through the vent.
The subwoofer houses all the controls, which would have been a very bad idea had the system not come with a wireless remote controller. You will see three rotary spring-loaded dials; they don't actually turn all the way, but just move a bit and then stop and as you release it they spring back to their default position in the center.

You can adjust volume from one dial, go to standby mode & change between the AUX,FM &USB modes from the another dial. The middle one can handle sleep & sound modes which I do not know how to use. This three dials are quite complex and handles a lot of functions!!!

Below the dials are the LED lamps, which denote the mode the system is currently in & also the infrared receiver for the remote control.
GREEN -> AUX, BLUE -> FM, RED-> USB or SD card

The front fascia of the subwoofer is made from glossy plastic while the rest of it is wood. On the back of the subwoofer you will find audio input and output ports. The speakers come with 3.5mm to RCA cable, which connects the speaker system to your computer sound card. The satellite speakers also use RCA jacks to connect to the subwoofer, which are fixed at their ends. One grouse we had with the SSD 3200 FM is that there was no auxiliary input or headphone jack available on the system.

The system comes with a wireless remote controller, which is again a very rare sight in this price range. In fact, many expensive systems lack this convenience including my Z-2300. Apart from the functions that you can adjust from the subwoofer itself, you can also adjust the bass and treble level from the remote. The remote controller is conveniently shaped and sized and feels comfortable to use.

Two of the main features of the SSD-3200 FM are the USB/SD card playback and the FM radio. You have the USB port and the SD card slot under a rubber flap on the top of the subwoofer and the playback controls outside as well as on the remote controller. You can directly plug in a USB flash drive or an SD card with MP3 tracks on it and the speakers will play them back. For the FM radio you will have to connect the white wired antenna on the back of the subwoofer.

The general fit and finish of the product is just OK. The design is a bit dull and the quality of plastic looks slightly cheap. But that is to be expected at this rock bottom price range.

Technical Details

Good news is SSD-3200 uses three high quality STMicrolectronics TDA2030A Class-AB amplifiers. STMicrolectronics is a very renowned name in audio amplifier market. For example my Z-2300 uses amplifiers from the same make.

Each amplifier is capable to deliver a maximum of18W RMS. So, total power reserve is 18 X 3 = 54W. One is used for the subwoofer and the other two for each of the two satellites. Subwoofer gets 18W and not 20W as advertised in Tech-Com website. Satellites get 11W each. So total power is 18 + 11 X 2 = 18 + 22 = 40W.

The satellite drivers are quite big at 3 inches which is good from an acoustical standpoint. The 4 inch bass driver is though quite small and is not fully capable to harness the 18W of power dedicated to the subwoofer. Up to 60% volume & 100% bass this driver will be able to provide good punch but after that the driver gives up and will distort which is quite accepted at this price range.

The bass driver & subwoofer both being small cannot produce anything below 60Hz. So do not expect extreme low bass between 30~60 Hz. My Logitech Z-2300s 15kg subwoofer with its 8 inch long throw bass driver will rattle the paint of my walls at that frequency range.

Performance

Before I get on with the performance, let me remind you that the SSD 3200 FM is priced at Rs. 1,400 including tax. Sometimes I will be comparing this with my Logitech Z-2300 which cost me Rs.10,000 back in 2008. It was necessary to get that out of the way so that when I talk about the sound quality you would know how much the system actually costs and hence what you are actually getting for that price.

Now I will be honest here. I really did not expect the system to rival my Z-2300 and perform any miracles in the audio department. But Tech-Com did impress me with some pretty solid performance that belies the price tag of the product.

The small subwoofer here does most of the heavy lifting and is pretty amazing. The bass response of the subwoofer is tight and punchy. The mid-bass is the forte of the sub and it handles it quite well. It does struggle with the deep bass though and everything below 60Hz is almost inaudible. The first track of the Titanic OST has a very deep bass portion and the SSD-3200 FM completely fails to portray it. On my Z-2300 this bass would have rattled the windows, here it is barely audible.

Same goes for the track 'Boom Boom Pow' by Black Eyed Peas where the extremely low bass lines don't hit you the same way they would on my Z-2300 speaker system would and sound more like a basket ball being bounced around a court. However, when we played the track 'Electric City' from the same album, the little subwoofer made the air in our lungs vibrate hard enough for us to feel it at higher volumes.

The satellite speakers also perform very well. Mid-range is clean and prominent but lacks a bit in the warmth department. The treble is sharp and exciting and although it can go overboard at times, you can keep it in check using the treble control on the remote.

Thanks to their good audio quality the speakers perform equally well with music, movies as well as gaming. I must mention that the audio quality is not consistent across the volume levels. At lower volumes I noticed a distinct softness in the sound and a slight lack in clarity. It's between 20% - 60% where the system sounds the best. Increase the volume too much though and the satellite speakers go banshee on you, with a shrill sound that will make your ears bleed. It's best to keep the system in the middle of its power band and then use the volume control on the PC software.

I also noticed minor bass distortion at certain frequencies which came down to the 4 inch bass driver. It was not a huge deal though and could barely be heard. Out of the box the speakers don't sound that great. You will need to spend some time burning them in after which they will reach their full potential. Just playback some bass heavy music at slightly high volume for a few hours and it will be done. You will also need to tinker with the bass and treble controls to get the best possible sound.

Verdict

As mentioned before the Tech-Com SSD-3200 FM is priced at Rs. 1,400 all included. For that price you get a system with several features such as built-in USB/SD card audio playback, FM radio and wireless remote controller. Best of all, the speakers have good sound quality that is rare at this price range. For me that is more than enough. Highly recommended from me.

Last edited:
Just picking one small hair (or splitting one small bone!) --- ISO:9001, I'm told, is about about administration and procedures. It is not about product quality.

Just picking one small hair (or splitting one small bone!) --- ISO:9001, I'm told, is about about administration and procedures. It is not about product quality.

Hi. here is the Enkor Company Profile

Enkor Electronics (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd. is established in 2003, that specializes in the development, production and sales of Portable Speaker, Computer Multimedia Speaker and Home Theatre, etc.

There are two PCBA production lines, our own Wooden Box & Loudspeaker plants, and five Assembly production lines in Enkor factory. The R&D department receives an annual budget equivalent to 15 percent of Enkor's total revenue. Enkor cooperates with research institutes in South Korea to develop new sound technologies. Its R&D laboratory is installed with advanced acoustic testing software and apparatuses. We also have set up a strict quality control system according to ISO9001: 2000 standards, including IQC, IPQC, OQC, QSA, a professional team in QA department.

Our factory is located in Kaiyuan Area,The 4th lnd Park,Fenghuang,Fuyong Town,Bao'An District, Shen Zhen, China. It covers an area of 20,000 square meters, more than 400 employees, including 18 professional R&D engineers and 60 QC workers. Monthly production capacity is around 100,000 sets.

We do OEM mainly, Enkor brand also, and have established our office in India dealing with Enkor brand only in 2006. Our main market is Southeast Asia, South America, Iran, USA, Japan, Egypt, etc.

Our target is "quality first, customer first and service first.". To support customers at best and always provide quality product, best service and competitive price are always our ultimate objectives.

As the saying goes, They would say that! Typical marketing gumph.

However: I am not in any way arguing with your experience of their product. A good product at a low price is always good news.

Here are some of the pictures of tech-com SSD-3200 FM

Enkor S2112

Satellites

Subwoofer

Remote Control

Subwoofer Controls

USB/SD Card Slot

STMicrolectronics TDA2030A

Circuit Board

Proof that Enkor manufactures SSD-3200 FM

EI Type Transformer

4 inch Bass Driver

a 2.1 speaker setup with remote control?? That's too good at the price. rishiguru please confirm one thing. A very irritating feature about these budget speakers with remote (that would include iBall, Tech-Com and Intex) is that once you switch it off, the volume is reset to minimum when you turn it back on i.e. the volume settings are reset everytime you turn them on/off. Does this set suffer from the same drawback?
Also, I don't expect this feature to be there, but does it by any chance have an optical in???
Do you know of any 2.1 (available in India) with optical in???

a 2.1 speaker setup with remote control?? That's too good at the price. rishiguru please confirm one thing. A very irritating feature about these budget speakers with remote (that would include iBall, Tech-Com and Intex) is that once you switch it off, the volume is reset to minimum when you turn it back on i.e. the volume settings are reset everytime you turn them on/off. Does this set suffer from the same drawback?
Also, I don't expect this feature to be there, but does it by any chance have an optical in???
Do you know of any 2.1 (available in India) with optical in???

Well in SSD-3200 FM, the volume is reset every time you switch it on. But that preset volume is not the minimum volume just say 10% volume. Personally, i do not consider this feature as a drawback, i think this is a plus.

Just consider the case that suppose yesterday night you were listening at max volume and today at around 7 am in the morning you put on your set to listen to FM, suddenly FM starts at ear splitting max volume. Would you like that?

I currently do not have in my knowledge any speaker of Indian make that comes with optical in.

Edit : If you are listening to music, a go to stand by mode provided the power is switched ON, then pressing the stand by button again will provide the same volume level as before.

But if the power is switched OFF then ON, the system will start from preset volume level.

Last edited:
Hi Rishiguru,

I bought this item sometime back from Delhi and I must say I was quite impressed. Thanks to you lovely review.

But, for sometime I have been facing a problem with my FM - not sure why but I cannot get any station. Other FM radio is catching the signals but not this one.

May be I have forgotten how to set and tune FM stations on this remote. Can you help me?

Regards,
Ashish

Hi Rishiguru,

I bought this item sometime back from Delhi and I must say I was quite impressed. Thanks to you lovely review.

But, for sometime I have been facing a problem with my FM - not sure why but I cannot get any station. Other FM radio is catching the signals but not this one.

May be I have forgotten how to set and tune FM stations on this remote. Can you help me?

Regards,
Ashish

Well you need to press the tuner + button on the remote control for three sec for the SSD 3200 FM to tune to a FM station. Then you need to press the save button. Once saved again press the tuner+ button to tune to the next station. Again use the save button. This cycle goes on until you select all the FM channels. After this cycle is complete, all the presets are now saved in the memory.

From the next time you just need to press the CH+ or CH- buttons to select the preset stations. No need to tune again. I learnt all of this by trial and error.

I must say that I am quite satisfied with the SSD 3200 FM. With a meager INR 1,400 price tag it delivers a lot than expected.

Hi have altec lansing vs4121 for last 1 year. I bought it for 2.7 K . I like this very much.Sound is crisp and clear and detailed. Only the sub woofer is little bit boomy.

is this available in mumbai if yes than provide the address.. want to taste the same . . . .

I have a Altec Speaker which I bought for Rs 1400/- 3 years back and it sounds great........forgot the model number.....I use it in my office........:cool:)

Altec Lansing ATP3, It was my college time buddy. Excellent performance as a desktop system. These are still singing happily at my parent's home.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back