2 Integrated amps for 4 speakers

Mayank Shah

I have the Rega Elicit R amp currently hooked up with the XT8F (91 dB / 8 ohms). My second amp is the NAD 356bee. I have the Dynaudio Emit M20 BS (86 dB / 4 ohms).

The simplest way would be to take a pre-out from the Rega into the Main In of the 356, making it a power amp.

Information about the pre-out in the Rega manual is:
Pre-Amp Output -The pre-amplifier can drive at least 5 power amplifiers, sub-bass units, etc. The pre-amplifier output uses RCA type (phono) connectors. The output level is 760mV with a line input level.

Information about the power amp section in the NAD 356 manual is:
1565447775751.png

I am not sure whether the Rega would Output from its own pre-out and play from a source simultaneously. Leaving aside SQ of the NAD and Emit 20 for the time being, would it be electrically compatible to do so. Edit: I would like to drive the Tannoys and Dynes together, just that the Dynes will be someplace else.
Cheers - Mayank.

Last edited:
Yep. Preouts are supposed to work this way.
It'll play from source and output to power amp.
Make sure NAD is mains-in or pre-in mode.
Some jumper needs to be disconnected if I remember.
Make sure the Tannoys are not getting a signal.
Otherwise, 4 speakers will sound funny.
Cheers,
Raghu

Sorry for not being able to put the point across properly, I would like to drive the Tannoys and the Dynes together. Just that the Dynes will be someplace else.

Hi Mayank,
Is this what you are trying to achieve -
The Rega playing the Tannoy in one room..
The Nad playing the Dyn with the Dyn in another room...
The source is the same for both setups...
The preout of the Rega into the Nad power.
If this is correct you can achieve this in 2 ways -
1. Same process as you have mentioned above. In this case the Rega will be the Preamp.

2. Simple way:
Use a Rca splitter on the ouput of your Cd player. This will enable you to send one signal to the Rega line input and another signal to the Nad line input.
You can then enjoy the same source on both setups.
I hope this solves the issue.
Cheers

Yep. Preouts are supposed to work this way.
It'll play from source and output to power amp.
Make sure NAD is mains-in or pre-in mode.
Some jumper needs to be disconnected if I remember.
Make sure the Tannoys are not getting a signal.
Otherwise, 4 speakers will sound funny.
Cheers,
Raghu
Yes, there is a jumper on the Nad, between Main In and preout 2.

Hi Mayank,
Is this what you are trying to achieve -
The Rega playing the Tannoy in one room..
The Nad playing the Dyn with the Dyn in another room...
The source is the same for both setups...
The preout of the Rega into the Nad power.
If this is correct you can achieve this in 2 ways -
1. Same process as you have mentioned above. In this case the Rega will be the Preamp.

2. Simple way:
Use a Rca splitter on the ouput of your Cd player. This will enable you to send one signal to the Rega line input and another signal to the Nad line input.
You can then enjoy the same source on both setups.
I hope this solves the issue.
Cheers

Hmm I think he is trying to power 2 pairs of speakers. One pair with Rega and another pair with NAD. Rega acts as Pre for NAD while NAD runs in Poweramp mode. All 4 speakers play simultaneously in the same room or different. Rega would be accepting Input, Sending Preout to NAD and at the same time powering speakers connected to it.

Hope I got that right!!

MaSh

Hmm I think he is trying to power 2 pairs of speakers. One pair with Rega and another pair with NAD. Rega acts as Pre for NAD while NAD runs in Poweramp mode. All 4 speakers play simultaneously in the same room or different. Rega would be accepting Input, Sending Preout to NAD and at the same time powering speakers connected to it.

Hope I got that right!!

MaSh
Yes, that's right.

Yes, that's right.
Let's assume the Tannoys are in one room and the Dynes are in another.
Since the Rega is gonna be connected to the source and controls the volume, you have two options:
1) place NAD in power amp mode along with Dynes and run a long RCA pair from Rega to NAD
2) place NAD and Rega close to each other; use a short RCA to interconnect; run lengthy speaker cables

Method 2 is easier to try if you have spare electrical wire lying around (thick gauge, preferred)
Cheers,
Raghu

Since the Rega is gonna be connected to the source and controls the volume, you have two options:
1) place NAD in power amp mode along with Dynes and run a long RCA pair from Rega to NAD
2) place NAD and Rega close to each other; use a short RCA to interconnect; run lengthy speaker cables

Method 2 is easier to try if you have spare electrical wire lying around (thick gauge, preferred)
Cheers,
Raghu
Thanks, Method 2 is what I have in mind as both Rega and NAD will be on the rack. I think 14 AWG should suffice.

Cheers,
Raghu
Your method 2 also has give some food for thought. Any idea as to the max lengths of RCA cables without any sq degradation?

Your method 2 also has give some food for thought. Any idea as to the max lengths of RCA cables without any sq degradation?
RCA if length is more than 10 feet need to be really good.
They carry small amplitude signals, so loss is possible over long runs.
Speaker cables can be longer, if you use thicker gauge.

No point in letting go of good gear. :)
If you can't host in your own home and don't want to let it go for whatever reason, host it someplace else.
In my case, my parents home is AV orphanage. I have moved a plasma TV, amps, speakers, soundbar, etc there.
Made it easy to use for them, one switch on/off, and they are very happy. Dad/mum have their own TVs and music systems.
Food for thought ;)

Cheers,
Raghu

RCA if length is more than 10 feet need to be really good.
They carry small amplitude signals, so loss is possible over long runs.
Speaker cables can be longer, if you use thicker gauge.

If you can't host in your own home and don't want to let it go for whatever reason, host it someplace else.
In my case, my parents home is AV orphanage. I have moved a plasma TV, amps, speakers, soundbar, etc there.
Made it easy to use for them, one switch on/off, and they are very happy. Dad/mum have their own TVs and music systems.
Food for thought ;)

Cheers,
Raghu
I had got the M20 as part of a gift setup but that didn't go through. That food been digested already. ;)

I would advise selling it off, else you shall become a hoarder. Equipment just sitting and not being used will not help you in the future. I sold my MC1's after over a year of getting the 1.7's as i was too emotionally connected to them. But in the end the usage had come down to maybe once a month just to warm it up. Today i am glad that i sold it as someone (@drkrack )has put it to good use and is enjoying the speakers. Sell it off even if you have to do it below your expected price. You will feel better. ;)

Thanks. But very uncharacteristically my wife has taken very keen interest in the M20 after hearing them. She infact told me to sell the huge (for her) tannoys and keep the M20 and likes the white finish as well. Now can't go against that. Have decided to sell our sparingly used Yamaha + Dali 5.1 setup to make room for her Dyns ;). Hope to get a good amp / power amp in the near future.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back