200W power amplifier

samuel35

Can anyone please recommend decent 200W@8Ohms per channel power amplifiers in India, preferably not class D?

Either 200+200W stereo or 200W monoblock would do.

Budget is around 50K.

Thanks.

Can anyone please recommend decent 200W@8Ohms per channel power amplifiers in India, preferably not class D?

Either 200+200W stereo or 200W monoblock would do.

Budget is around 50K.

Thanks.

If you are willing to explore lesser known players
Emotiva XPA-100 (250W/8 or 400W/4 monoblock)
Outlaw Audio M2200 (200W/8 or 300W/4 monoblock)
They may come within your budget.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

I am using a DIY 3-way speaker ( dayton rs225+ 2x dayton rs100 + tymphany xt25 MTM configuration). Total RMS power is 190W. At present I am using a 40W Marantz PM5005 integrated amplifier. Ideally, I would prefer a 300W amp but can certainly do with a 200w one.
I can stretch the budget upto 80K maximum. And I have no problem with lesser known brands if performance is good.

acoustic portrait (locally made amps in bangalore) are extremely good. they have a thiyaga model which is 200w rms per channel. will be around 80k rupees i think. imo at that price you wont get better

acoustic portrait (locally made amps in bangalore) are extremely good. they have a thiyaga model which is 200w rms per channel. will be around 80k rupees i think. imo at that price you wont get better

I second that. There is one for sale right now in the forum as well.

What are your speakers ?

I am curious to know 200W speakers :)

I am using a DIY 3-way speaker ( dayton rs225+ 2x dayton rs100 + tymphany xt25 MTM configuration). Total RMS power is 190W.

I just checked the acoustic portrait website. They have a DAC and a transport with model name Thiyaga, not any power amplifier. The power amplifier listed is named Swara which is only 75W per channel.

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy Emotiva XPA-100 in India and its retail price?
Any more recommendations?

I'm intrested in how you calculate you need 200 watts to drive your speakers

I'm intrested in how you calculate you need 200 watts to drive your speakers

I would prefer an amplifier with 3dB headroom to my speaker's RMS power. If I directly add all the RMS power of all the drivers of my drivers I get 190W. However, thanks to the dynamic nature of music content all my drivers won't need the juice at the same instant of time. But the RMS wattage of my woofer is 80W and that of the midbass drivers is 60W. Hence a moderated amount of 100W of RMS power consumption makes sense. So I am looking a 200W amp with 3dB headroom for the peaks.

I am using a DIY 3-way speaker ( dayton rs225+ 2x dayton rs100 + tymphany xt25 MTM configuration). Total RMS power is 190W. At present I am using a 40W Marantz PM5005 integrated amplifier. Ideally, I would prefer a 300W amp but can certainly do with a 200w one.
I can stretch the budget upto 80K maximum. And I have no problem with lesser known brands if performance is good.

You definitely dont need a 200 watt amplifier with these unless you have a huge listening space and these drivers are in appropriate enclosure sizes.

The midbass and midrange drivers are rated for max 80 watts and nominal around 40 watts.
Any amp that can put out clean 50/75 watts will make them shine

What is the dimension of your room ? and distance between listening position and the speakers.

I really require 200W per channel amplifier. Hence is my request for recommendation. I see people derailing the proper intention of the thread with questions " why do you require a 200W amplifier?"

These responses would have been helpful if my question was " How much wattage amplifier do I need for so and so speaker for this purpose for that room?"

However to answer all previous questions:

I listen to really loud levels of music, 110dB peaks occasionally at 3 meters from the speakers! and very often I listen to 95-100 dB at 3m. I have equalized my speakers for flat response upto 25Hz and this low end requires lots of power.

A 200W amplifier would play only 4.3dB louder than a 75W amplifier. So, I may need a 200W amplifier compared to someone using a 75W amplifier if I use to listen 4.3dB louder than him.

Bass notes can clip if not fed adequate power by the amplifier. But onset of peak clipping in sub-bass may not be perceived equally by everyone. The difference between a 100 and 200W is just 3dB. 3dB of headroom is minimum for me and I don't prefer any hint of clipping.

Efficiency of the bass frequency of the speakers depend on the cabinet volume. I may get the same SPL in the bass frequency response compared to bigger cabinet using proper equalization (DSP). I end up with a smaller cabinet and low bass efficiency, meaning more amplifier power requirement.

To repeat once again, the RMS power of my woofer is 80W and the mid bass drivers are 60W (2x30). The peak power or what manufacturers list as music power is roughly twice of that.

Maybe I require a 200W amplifier so that I don't have to upgrade in the future.

So, with all due respect to everyone, please keep this thread on topic and recommend 200W amplifiers if you can.

Thanks and regards.

I am using a DIY 3-way speaker ( dayton rs225+ 2x dayton rs100 + tymphany xt25 MTM configuration). Total RMS power is 190W.

I just checked the acoustic portrait website. They have a DAC and a transport with model name Thiyaga, not any power amplifier. The power amplifier listed is named Swara which is only 75W per channel.

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy Emotiva XPA-100 in India and its retail price?
Any more recommendations?

you can call siva of acoustic portrait for the 200w amp. 9845517730. i just purchased one a couple of months ago from him.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back