2013 Sony passive 3D LED Televisions

ritzman

Many of you might know that Sony has opted for 'Passive 3D' technology for 3D models launched this year. So, I'm starting this thread to encourage discussions on the topic. Owners can share their experience & pundits can talk about pros/cons for the benefit of HFV visitors.

Passive 3D models launched by Sony so far:
KDL-55W800A
KDL-47W800A

Finally, Sony has also adopted the most rewarded 3d technology, it seems like that now all the TV manufacturers are heading to adopt passive technology for their future launches. Furthermore, I haven't reviewed these Sony passive models yet, but I'd like to ask how much passive glasses Sony is giving with these TV?

4 glasses bundled with the TV

Additional ones will cost you Rs. 349 per glass. I think that's cheaper than other brands :)

If you want proper 3D experience then active is the way to go. If you want cheaper option to 3D then try passive. 4K 3D should be interesting.

If you want proper 3D experience then active is the way to go. If you want cheaper option to 3D then try passive. 4K 3D should be interesting.

Again, the word 'Proper 3D' differs from person to person. I really liked watching in Active 3D, but once I wore the Passive glasses, it was too comfortable. I'd go with passive 3D any day, as long as I sit far from my TV.

While I have no experience with Sony's 3D technology, I have recently experienced passive 3D at various places.
1. XD at Phoenix Mall
2. 5D at Phoenix Mall
3. 3D movies at Inox, E-Square, Managala and other theaters.

In all cases, I have been utterly disappointed by the quality/ sharpness, brightness.

This may also be due to the type of 3D glasses (perhaps costing less than Rs. 50) and the cleanliness of the material that they use.

I have had a very brief experience of active 3D (Panasonic plasma) and I found that to be very good in comparison. That was just 5 minutes in duration, so no cross-talk or headache was observed.

I hope that passive 3D experience with TV is much better than what you all have experienced at the movie theaters.

While I have no experience with Sony's 3D technology, I have recently experienced passive 3D at various places.
1. XD at Phoenix Mall
2. 5D at Phoenix Mall
3. 3D movies at Inox, E-Square, Managala and other theaters.

In all cases, I have been utterly disappointed by the quality/ sharpness, brightness.

This may also be due to the type of 3D glasses (perhaps costing less than Rs. 50) and the cleanliness of the material that they use.

I have had a very brief experience of active 3D (Panasonic plasma) and I found that to be very good in comparison. That was just 5 minutes in duration, so no cross-talk or headache was observed.

I hope that passive 3D experience with TV is much better than what you all have experienced at the movie theaters.

You are absolutely correct. The passive 3d in LG shows the same resolution loss. Only when a stick is deliberately poked into your face we tend to get a good kick out of passive 3d.
I recently saw Iron man 3 in Imax 3d. Felt that the 3d did not add any value to the movie and infact degraded the quality of the picture.

Sony this year went with LG panels instead of Samsung's panel like last year which was troublesome (banding issues etc).. Hence These new tvs are cheaper and passive 3D. These are inferior panels than last years HX850 series. I was really hoping they will launch there R550 series in India like they did in USA they have really big tvs in that series for really cheap price.. but anyways.. This would be as good as HX750 I guess with bit of improvement.

Passive 3D is not full HD, if you want FHD clarity in passive tv it has to be in 4k tv. Hence you won't get clarity of Active 3D which is Full HD in Passive 3D. Its still better as it gives you 3d experience for cheap and as per experts it don't cause headaches like Active 3D does cause of constant shuttering of lens in glasses..

You are absolutely correct. The passive 3d in LG shows the same resolution loss. Only when a stick is deliberately poked into your face we tend to get a good kick out of passive 3d.
I recently saw Iron man 3 in Imax 3d. Felt that the 3d did not add any value to the movie and infact degraded the quality of the picture.
I have decided to stay away from all 3D movies - I am not going to watch Ironman 3 - 3D or Star Trek Into the Darkness 3D. Let me tell you, I am an avid trekkie.

I have decided to stay away from all 3D movies - I am not going to watch Ironman 3 - 3D or Star Trek Into the Darkness 3D. Let me tell you, I am an avid trekkie.

All animation movies are in 3D. Plus they don't give small 3D glasses suitable for kids.
As a result the fun is no longer there.

All animation movies are in 3D. Plus they don't give small 3D glasses suitable for kids.
As a result the fun is no longer there.

It their way of spreading the social message - kids should not watch movies but should rather study or play outdoors. :p:D

Reviewed the 55W800, passive 3D is ok, never liked it much, except for the very lightweight 3D glasses. Not comfortable from a distance less than 10ft. 2D PQ is really good. Though I have did the demo with their demo material, it may not be ideal way to demo, still I think it will be good enough. But considering everything price is on the higher side at 1.5 lacs. HX750 is a better burgain at 1.2 lacs.
Yes they have added 3G dongle plug & play internet (in entire W range), which will help lots of people who doesnot have a wi-fi system at home for occassional access of material from internet.
BTW, there is no mention of W900 series in the new catalogue, but still has HX850, HX7500. It is as of Apr 13.

Hi all,
I am basically from Chennai, Currently in Muscat,

I am torn between Sony 46W802A vs LG 47LM8600(or7600).

I am happy with Samy C7000 PQ:):) but not 3d:indifferent14: which I own for 3 yrs. I need an upgrade. Looking for only Passive 3d - accepting the loss of PQ in passive3d.

How far Sony boost the SD from Dish, experts please show light on this.
X-reality pro Vs Resolution upscaler.
Sony's DLNA Vs Samy DLNA Vs LG - will be streaming from Synology DS410

Quick replies appreciated - planning to buy on Akshaya Trithya.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Nothing helps SD inputs in a full HDTV. They are not meant for SD viewing.
W800 PQ is good, but not sure about this being a VFM though.

Hi ,
I am looking for a 55" LED Television with Media Player capabilities .

I have seen this Panasonic L55ET5D TV .

it comes with 3 years warranty at 1.10 lacs

Should I go for Sony 55 W802 (1.45L) or Panasonic L55ET5D .

Regards .

Enquired abt W 900, No answers from customer toll free numbers.

Got a call from the sony dealer,

Said he has got W900, but he was not ready to quote any price .

insisted on visiting store, but I doubt it.

He quoted 3lakhs for 65" HX 925.

Sony is going for volumes than niche mkt???

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back