21:9 Ultrawide monitors for general purpose - Budget 25K - Suggestions please !!

elangoas

Hi All,

Been considering a Ultra wide Monitor as a desktop monitor for general use.. This would be used as Home-office monitor primary dealing with e-mails, viewing web content in multiple tabs, some youtube, some movie and very less gaming..

Am not after PPI, 4K stuff, not considering the regular 16:9 monitor.. Like to own a monitor that looks cool.. Was going thru Youtube views and it was love at first sight.. Most common aval sizes seems to be 25 and 29 inches in the affordable segment (Max of 25K)..

Any one here using Ultrawide monitors?.. Please share your experience..

I would like to seek few clarifications..

- Would it demand a higher spec graphics card to handle the resolution of 2560 x 1080 (or) slightly higher resolution..
- Between a 25 / 29 inch, how much of difference would it make assuming one would sit 2 - 3 feet away?..
- Any other pointers if you would like to mention..

Ultra wide monitors while offering good video experience are not suitable for everyday use unless the sizes are above 29 inches . While the width provides more pixels effectively the height is reduced which makes it difficult for viewing pics or mails . They are good for spreadsheets though . While choosing a monitor please check if it is a IPS panel . Any other panel do not buy as the viewing angles are not good and you might not like the experience after you have bought it . Cheap and best is DELL monitors in this range . I recommend ultrasharp series which come with height adjustable stands .

I have the LG 34UC98-W and usure if I did the right thing.. they are fine, but if I had to make the decision again I probably wouldn't go ultrawide. Even at that size the height feels off and just a tad too wide for my comfort. It just feels cool as a concept. Hope you know what you want. I also have a 27" and feel I need a lil bigger.. so maybe a standard 30" is the sweet spot for people like you and me

Last edited:
I have the LG 34UC98-W and usure if I did the right thing.. they are fine, but if I had to make the decision again I probably wouldn't go ultrawide. Even at that size the height feels off and just a tad too wide for my comfort. It just feels cool as a concept. Hope you know what you want. I also have a 27" and feel I need a lil bigger.. so maybe a standard 30" is the sweet spot for people like you and me

Ok.. From the videos, it looks really cool.. I will try to take a demo of this monitor in-person if i get a chance and see how it is..

I don't see much of models under 25K.. It seems only LG is aval in India, in that budget..

A 30 inch ultra wide is equal to a 19 inch 4:3 monitor in screen space . A 23 inch 16:9 is equal to an ultra wide 30 inch . Though the monitors are wide , the screen size is actually smaller .

A 23 inch 16:9 is equal to an ultra wide 30 inch . Though the monitors are wide , the screen size is actually smaller .
Not true! Height is almost same. But width is much wider and hence screen space is much more for the 30" UW compared to 23" 16:9. Yes, many will be disappointed with height.

Watch this video 29" UW to 23"
Most of the screen space is in width. The 29" UW is much wider than a 23" and is about equal in height.

Last edited:
Hi elango!

first don get ultra wide until unless you r into video editing! u feel bad after buying for sure!pain for common users
Mainly screen resolution! 25inch is 2560 x 1440 pixels !!( IPS ) so getting 27 with same 2560 x 1440 pixels resolution not gonna make any diff! it will stretch your native res!!
also for 25/27 don buy full HD monitors which is 1080o_O!!
Decent Gfx cards r needed to run these 25/27 monitors! or else texts will become blur and smudgy! 5ms response is good enough ! (NFS/Assasins/shadow of morder Can run pretty good with lot blur efects)
dell is costly! if you are not professional and not gonna use 100% adobe RGB/SRGB/ REC and all !! dell not needed! meanwhile u can think about aoc/lg/samsung ! vfm!! happy hunt!!

Hi elango!

first don get ultra wide until unless you r into video editing! u feel bad after buying for sure!pain for common users
Mainly screen resolution! 25inch is 2560 x 1440 pixels !!( IPS ) so getting 27 with same 2560 x 1440 pixels resolution not gonna make any diff! it will stretch your native res!!
Decent Gfx cards r needed to run these 25/27 monitors! or else texts will become blur and smudgy! 5ms response is good enough ! (NFS/Assasins/shadow of morder Can run pretty good with lot blur efects)
dell is costly! if you are not professional and not gonna use 100% adobe RGB/SRGB/ REC and all !! dell not needed! meanwhile u can think about aoc/lg/samsung ! vfm!! happy hunt!!
These days average graphic cards around 12k can run the most adv games with avg/good quality enabled at HD and higher. I would certainly not ask him to skim on resolution especially since he is not much into gaming.

Last edited:

Budget Ultrawide monitors are 2560 x 1080p only (FHD+).. Step-up models have 3440 x 1440 (QHD +)..

That is what is aval in that budget..:p

No gaming for now.. Purely media consumption.. So i presume even a entry level graphics card from Nvidia / AMD should support 2560 x 1080p and 3440 x 1440p resolutions?.. To take the benefit of casual gaming, i would choose a graphics card in 10k range..

Sure.. Thx for the models.. I will check the model aval and see what is in that price..

10k is very good for gfx cards to play a good game !! 25inch /1080 pls ignore it! waste of money and blur texts! still u planning to manage means its up to u! trained eyes can easily identify the blury eft !! so think and buy! enjoy

An ultrawide monitor is a significant investment . I would not suggest any montior which does not have IPS LCD . In fact the IPS panels come from LG for a few models . Either Dell or LG is a safe bet , but I have had bad experiences with LG who also seem to peddle TN panels as well as AOC . Samsung is useless . You would also want to consider matt screens than glossy since glossy will be a pain to work with since it reflects . I have a dell ultrasharp and it is excellent considering about 6 years of usage . No light leaks etc

An ultrawide monitor is a significant investment . I would not suggest any montior which does not have IPS LCD . In fact the IPS panels come from LG for a few models . Either Dell or LG is a safe bet , but I have had bad experiences with LG who also seem to peddle TN panels as well as AOC . Samsung is useless . You would also want to consider matt screens than glossy since glossy will be a pain to work with since it reflects . I have a dell ultrasharp and it is excellent considering about 6 years of usage . No light leaks etc
thats y dell r expensive :p:p their build quality is excellent! am using aoc ips panel monitor more than 6 yr! no problem at all!! good and strong build! to b frank now a days all products quality's gone crazy poor! ( oly in hotels/ shops ppl buy shiny display things to make a attraction! in homes most wont!)

DELL S2418H is a good monitor for videos as well as for general work. Also it supports HDR feature ( Not True HDR Monitor) Colours and Black levels are excellent in this price range.

Here is a comparison of 29 inch 21:9 Vs 23inch 16:9 aspect ratio - http://www.comparetvsizes.com/?tv1=29&a1=219&tv2=23&a2=169

The height of both of the display is almost the same.. Just the extra width difference in a 21:9..

DELL S2418H is a good monitor for videos as well as for general work. Also it supports HDR feature ( Not True HDR Monitor) Colours and Black levels are excellent in this price range.

Thanks.. DELL S2418H is a 16:9 Monitor..

Here is a comparison of 29 inch 21:9 Vs 23inch 16:9 aspect ratio - http://www.comparetvsizes.com/?tv1=29&a1=219&tv2=23&a2=169

The height of both of the display is almost the same.. Just the extra width difference in a 21:9..

Thanks.. DELL S2418H is a 16:9 Monitor..
Ah..thats a nice way to compare... :)
Lot of computer monitors are 16:10 (1920x1200).

My 34" UWD has a lot of added width compared to my 27" monitor and height is almost same... But it tricks me into feeling that the UWD is shorter than the 27"... My 34" has a curve too and I still feel the width is a bit too much. Was an impulse buy ;)
There are many who love the UWD. You might like it too... All the best!

Last edited:
Why not go with a 30" or 32" 16:10 monitor. that's plenty big both vertically and horizontally.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back