220 Volts > UPS > Stabilizer > 2 Extension Cords > Step Down Transformer > AVR + SW

kurups

Hi Guys,

I am new to hifi and here is my question. Made this complete question itself after reading so many threads :)

Basic Requirement is to run a 480 Watts Powered AVR (110 Volts rated) + 200 Watts Powered Subwoofer in India along with the regular Home AV Equipments mentioend below to get an uninterrepted AV Experience.

1) I wanted to know if this is correct way of setting up this HT System with a 220 V Indian Mains.

220 Volts MAINS > 2KVA UPS > Stabilizer > 1.5KW Step Down Transformer (220V to 110V)> AVR (Rated a Max of 480 Watts) + SW (Rated a Max of 200 Watts).

From the Stabilizer One Extension Cord shall also be taken to feed 5 Devices ...the TV, Wifi Router, An 8 Port Dlink Switch, Blueray Player and the Tatasky STB. All these 5 devices put together may not consume more than 500Watts.

2) Can 2 Outputs be taken from the same stabiliser. I am thinking of V-Guard DIGI 200 Voltage Stabilizer OR V-Guard Voltage Stabilizer VND 500 2 TOn. Is this Fine or a UPS+ Stabiliser combination is Not Required?

3) Am i being over cautious by using UPS+Stabilizer Combination or is there a better cost effective setup.

4) What about the sqare wave/sine wave funda which i read in many threads. Will that affect this setup.

Rgds
Sreejith

Last edited:
Re: 220 Volts > UPS > Stabilizer > 2 Extension Cords > Step Down Transformer > AVR +

That is a complicated setup. Never connect Stabilizer to UPS out. UPS can be connected to stabilizer out, but the stabilizer should be of much higher VA than the UPS. Instead of stabilizer+UPS combo, there are line interactive UPS (like the one I'm using) which has built in stabilizer and it works from 140V-270V. The only problem is that most of them have quasi sinewave output when in battery mode but you can connect your TV, Wifi Router, Dlink Switch, Blu-ray Player and Tatasky STB safely. For AVR use the stepdown transformer with a surge protector.

Re: 220 Volts > UPS > Stabilizer > 2 Extension Cords > Step Down Transformer > AVR +

Thanks for the details Baiju.....And thats a 1000 Thanks to you on Hifi.....Congrats :)

So let me summarize and let me know if this seems ok to you.

6A, 220 V > Line Interactive UPS > A 8-Socket Belkin Surge Protector > To all my 5 Components viz; TV, Wifi Router, Dlink Switch, Blu-ray Player and Tatasky STB. This must then ensure all my AV equipments and Internet (Totalling to a max of 500Watts Max) can be ON even during power cuts except the AVR.

Question 1 - Is the above setup fine?

Question 2 - For the AVR, can i pull in an output from the existing Surge Protector mentioned above or the UPS and give it to a 1.5KW Step Down Transformer and then to the AVR+SW. If so what capacity Line Interactive UPS will be required in the above setup.

Question 3 - Will a 6A Socket on the wall suffice, or do i need to plan a 15A socket for the above setup?

Question 4 - If the above is not at all fine even with the 15A socket and if i decide that the AVR need not be ON when there is power cut, then is the below setup fine for the AVR alone :- Another 6A, 220 V Socket > A Normal Surge Protector (Available in India, which usually reads input voltage 220Volts) > Step Down Transformer > AVR+SW.

Plz note : The AVR has a max power requirement of only 480 Watts (With 110 Volts Input) & the Subwoofer has a max rating of 200 Watts.

Regards
Sreejith (kurups at gmail dot com)

Thanks for the details Baiju.....And thats a 1000 Thanks to you on Hifi.....Congrats :)

So let me summarize and let me know if this seems ok to you.

6A, 220 V > Line Interactive UPS > A 8-Socket Belkin Surge Protector > To all my 5 Components viz; TV, Wifi Router, Dlink Switch, Blu-ray Player and Tatasky STB. This must then ensure all my AV equipments and Internet (Totalling to a max of 500Watts Max) can be ON even during power cuts except the AVR.

Question 1 - Is the above setup fine?

Question 2 - For the AVR, can i pull in an output from the existing Surge Protector mentioned above or the UPS and give it to a 1.5KW Step Down Transformer and then to the AVR+SW. If so what capacity Line Interactive UPS will be required in the above setup.

Question 3 - Will a 6A Socket on the wall suffice, or do i need to plan a 15A socket for the above setup?

Question 4 - If the above is not at all fine even with the 15A socket and if i decide that the AVR need not be ON when there is power cut, then is the below setup fine for the AVR alone :- Another 6A, 220 V Socket > A Normal Surge Protector (Available in India, which usually reads input voltage 220Volts) > Step Down Transformer > AVR+SW.

Plz note : The AVR has a max power requirement of only 480 Watts (With 110 Volts Input) & the Subwoofer has a max rating of 200 Watts.

Regards
Sreejith (kurups at gmail dot com)

1. That setup is fine.

2. You can try it, but I still suggest not to use the UPS. LI UPS is expensive and one that can support 1.5KW step down transformer will be more expensive.

3.6A socket is enough. I'm using all my devices through a 6A socket.

4. Use another 6A socket to power the stepdown transformer. This way you can turn off the avr and sub when not in use.

Thanks Baiju and Shivam for the replies....So i am going ahead removing the LI UPS as per both of yours suggestion for the AVR.

I somehow want to keep by basic devices running when there is a power cut.....So to use these devices totalling to 500Watts (tv, stb, wifi router, bray-p etc), i hope a normal 800VA UPS will be fine...Some thing similar to the one that goes with a PC. I do not need much backup time, as there will be a generator backup in the flats, but that will take atleast 30 seconds -1 Min to power on. To maintain continuity...i hope this entry level UPS must be fine for the above items. Plz correct me if i am wrong.

So again to summarise:-

For all my 5 Basic Components ===== 6A, 220 V > 800VA UPS > A 8-Socket Belkin Surge Protector > To TV, Wifi Router, Dlink Switch, Blu-ray Player and Tatasky STB

For the AVR======6A, 220 V > Servo Stabiliser > 1.5KW Step Down Transformer and then to the AVR+SW.

Hope this will work fine and is a cost effective solution.

Can u suggest the Capacity of the Servo Stabiliser and any brand/model nos if any to run the 1.5KW SD Transformer.....Plz note that the actual load may be some 680 Watts (480+200) only

Also suggestions welcome for a good Step Down transformer - 220 to 110 Volts (As i do not wish to keep replacing these stuffs)

Rgds
Sreejith

800VA UPS is sufficient for the components you specified.

For stepdown transformer there is maxine brand from shah electronics.

For servo, there are brands like vertex. A 2-3KW will be enough and you can power all the devices including the avr and subwoofer.

Hi Baiju,
i just browsed the maxine website. The Step Up/Down Transformer on their webiste mentions it as:-
220V / 110 V Step Down Transformers with Built in Stabilizer

so i hope i do not have to buy a servo now? Or do u think it is required?

Rgds
Sreejith

Thanks Baiju and Shivam for the replies....So i am going ahead removing the LI UPS as per both of yours suggestion for the AVR.

I somehow want to keep by basic devices running when there is a power cut.....So to use these devices totalling to 500Watts (tv, stb, wifi router, bray-p etc), i hope a normal 800VA UPS will be fine...Some thing similar to the one that goes with a PC. I do not need much backup time, as there will be a generator backup in the flats, but that will take atleast 30 seconds -1 Min to power on. To maintain continuity...i hope this entry level UPS must be fine for the above items. Plz correct me if i am wrong.

For all my 5 Basic Components ===== 6A, 220 V > 800VA UPS > A 8-Socket Belkin Surge Protector > To TV, Wifi Router, Dlink Switch, Blu-ray Player and Tatasky STB

For the AVR======6A, 220 V > Servo Stabiliser > 1.5KW Step Down Transformer and then to the AVR+SW.

Can u suggest the Capacity of the Servo Stabiliser and any brand/model nos if any to run the 1.5KW SD Transformer.....Plz note that the actual load may be some 680 Watts (480+200) only

Also suggestions welcome for a good Step Down transformer - 220 to 110 Volts (As i do not wish to keep replacing these stuffs)

Rgds
Sreejith

Just forget the UPS. The ones meant for computers have a square wave output and not at all suitable for audio components.

My suggestion -
Use a servo stabilizer -> all your components and step down transformer where needed.
Make sure that all the components after the step down to 110 are on the same positive and neutral and share a common earth. All the components on 220 should also share a common earth.

If you need a power backup then opt for a sinewave inverter from a good company and use that with strict settings (cut-off at brown-outs and highs).

The best option -
Buy a sinewave inverter and charge the batteries completely. Use it to power only your audio equipment (and video too if you want too). When using your system, shut down the mains to the inverter and supply power to your system using batteries and then when you are done, switch the mains back 'on' and let the batteries recharge.

(For items like router, switch etc.. you can use any UPS you like. I like APC models.)

Hi Baiju,
i just browsed the maxine website. The Step Up/Down Transformer on their webiste mentions it as:-
220V / 110 V Step Down Transformers with Built in Stabilizer

so i hope i do not have to buy a servo now? Or do u think it is required?

Rgds
Sreejith

Maxine users can confirm. If it has built-in stabilizer then no need for another stabilizer.

Buying high capacity step down transformers is overkill?

Hi,

Found that following information while trying to understand how much capacity of step down transformer is needed for AV receiver.

Experts,

Help me understand if the below concept is correct or not.

AV Receiver Buying Guide- AxiomAudio

The article quotes as The biggest problem with the per-channel rating is that it is frequently only one channel driven, so that every added channel will reduce the per-channel output power e.g., 100 watts per channel is actually 50 watts per channel with 2 channels driven and 14 watts per channel with 7 channels driven. This recent habit of taking the 100 watts per channel and multiplying it by 7 (100 watts x 7) to get the so-called total power is complete nonsense.

Another link that puts some light on the power consumption done by AV Receivers
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1401309/max-power-consumption

as per Maxine-India website, we should only focus on the rated power consumption and not the output power produced.(however talking of 1000W, 140W/channel is a different marketing gimmick altogether :sad:)

e.g : for a 7.1 AV receiver with 140W/channel and a total of 1000W output power

with power supply of 120V, 60Hz and 300W(standard/rated power consumption) written on the back panel, is it sufficient to get a 500W step down transformer?

Please let me know your suggestions

Thanks in advance
Ravi

Please me out in this question : Which of these connections is the recommended and the reasons?
1. Main, stabiliser, Ups, appliance
2. Main, Ups, stabiliser, appliance.

My vote goes to Option 1.
Few ups models might work only under proper operating voltage with lesser tolerance (spec ).if the input say leaser than 230v ups will be changing to battery mode and it starts discharging your battery.
Moreover most of the household ups may not give proper sinewave output which is suppose to feed to stabilizer if your option is 2.

Btw you did not mentioned about the "appliance"
Ups/stabilizer model and brand ,usage of this setup.
That should narrow down with alternative suggestion here.

Thanks for the prompt reply. The appliance I want to collect is X ray machine with 5 kva stabiliser and 2 kva Ups. Are you saying that the connection should be main, stabiliser, Ups and then the x ray? If yes, can this order of connection work for the appliances like desktop, fridge, TV, and ultrasound machine?

hi sreejith

i found this post relevant for an issue i am going through. basically a whoel bunch of av equipment connected to my v guard stabiliser needs to be replaced. the stabilisers socket where i had plugged a 3pin plus has burnt out. teh otehr 2 sockets were my AV receiver and a dvd player. an extension cord was connected to the main socket from which the rest of them - TV/ blu ray player/ home theatre etc were plugged in.

was hoping it would be easier if we could talk and understand. i can share my mobile number accordingly
thks

Rgds
Sreejith

I wouldn't say what's right and what's wrong because everyone has their own mind set and understanding.
The dealers here in India make it even harder. Some say ups should be used some say it should not be used.
I myself use a 800va ups with which I have attached my step down transformer and to it the AVR. Also on the same ups I am running a PS4, tv and set top box.
I intend to add inverter line to the ups inlet (my inverter is a pure sinewave model) but still till now even without inverter I am not facing any problems though I do shut down the setup as soon as the electricity goes.

Back