220v to 110v step down transformer, bangalore/chennai

rsd0459

Sourcing Pioneer Pioneer VSX-520-K from the US, where in Bangalore/Chennai can i buy an 1.5Kva step down isolation transformer?to take care of the sub too.
How much will it cost?
Will i need a stabilizer along with it?
Any other suggestions...would be most helpful...
Planned setup is
Ifinity primus 363 Fronts
Ifinity primus 350 Centre
Ifinity primus 152/162 Surrounds(as and when i can afford them)
Dayton 120 Sub(not yet ordered) sub is open to suggestion...
Weight and customs is not an issue only the selling price is!

Thanks
RSD

You can check at Maxine at Ritchie Street, Chennai. I think you can call up up and order and have it sent too

hi
bought a pioneer vsx 1020 from the US with a power consumption of 350 W. bought a step down converter rated at 400 W from chandigarh. Is it sufficient or will it have some negative effects coz i read somewhere that the converter has to be 1.5 times the rated wattage
marlin

Last edited:
Hey All,

I am also searching for a step down for my newly bought Onkyo 608 AVR from US.

Can anybody help me with the contact details for Maxine in Mumbai ? or if there are any other good brands can you suggest those as well preferably with contact details? :)

Regards,
Naren

In Bangalore you can buy a custom made from Universal transformers, SP Road. I bought a 750 watt isolation type from them for 4.5k. They took one day to make it. TX-SR608 which is rated 6.3 Amps (700watts plus) is working fine with 750 watt transformer with out any over heat or any sort of issues. Not sure how much Pioneer VSX-520-K needs. But I am not yet sure about the suggestion of 1.5kwatts for a 500 watt consumption. But in any case as every one in this forum suggest go only for isolation type.

In Bangalore you can buy a custom made from Universal transformers, SP Road. I bought a 750 watt isolation type from them for 4.5k. They took one day to make it. TX-SR608 which is rated 6.3 Amps (700watts plus) is working fine with 750 watt transformer with out any over heat or any sort of issues. Not sure how much Pioneer VSX-520-K needs. But I am not yet sure about the suggestion of 1.5kwatts for a 500 watt consumption. But in any case as every one in this forum suggest go only for isolation type.

1.5 VA isolation transformer... does it mean... It will draw 1.5 KV wattage of power... for a AVR of 500watts.... so 3times the electricity bill??? :mad:
Or it is just that the stabiliser(setp-down) has the capacity to provide upto 1.5 KV of power.... but it will use only how much is required by the AVR...

expert comments on dis

1.5 VA isolation transformer... does it mean... It will draw 1.5 KV wattage of power... for a AVR of 500watts.... so 3times the electricity bill??? :mad:
Or it is just that the stabiliser(setp-down) has the capacity to provide upto 1.5 KV of power.... but it will use only how much is required by the AVR...

expert comments on dis

correct statement is in bold

expert comments on dis

Mostly not,when we install 600w SMPS in PC,total wattage will be required only if system run in full load.
Similarly 1.5KV is capable of outputting so,not necessarily AVR will draw full load(not more than 650w),but for sudden peak power ,you may need it.

@ bottle,

thanks for providing the website link for shal electronics for maxine isolated step downs. I reached out to them seems like they have a dealer in mumbai i contacted their dealer too but he only has auto transformers.

I contacted Shah electronics again and they said they can arrange to send a 1kv isolated step down for my Onkyo 608 AVR but it will cost 6500 + taxes + freight so i am guessing it will be approx 7K in mumbai.

Is there any other good alternative to maxine at more reasonable price?

Can any isolated step down owners from mumbai share their knowledge about any alternatives for maxine isolated step downs?

Also is it safe to get a custom made isolated step down built by any decently known local electrical shop ?

Regards,
Naren

Friends,

No suggestions from anyone yet !! does that mean there isnt any alternative brand / option that will cost lesser :-(

Regards,
Naren

@Naren,

Clubbing with you here as well. Am also looking out for isolation type transformer for my AVR 460W.

Should I get a 500W one or 750W Transformer? Inputs on that will also be appreciated.

haha me too Naren .and Snorkel
im looking for one in Mumbai for my 609 too
not got any clear leads .though a lot of people have said Lamington road

In Lajpat Rai Market(Chandni Chowk, Delhi), I found two manufacturers/whole sellers. Looking for a 300W for my PS3.

a) Guru - MRP of 1400.
b) Crown MRP of 700.

Both the above are Auto Type (EI based).

Even the Crown 500W (Torridal based) was priced at Rs. 1000.

Anybody tried Crown? Looks more reasonable in terms of pricing?

In Lajpat Rai Market(Chandni Chowk, Delhi), I found two manufacturers/whole sellers. Looking for a 300W for my PS3.

a) Guru - MRP of 1400.
b) Crown MRP of 700.

Both the above are Auto Type (EI based).

Even the Crown 500W (Torridal based) was priced at Rs. 1000.

Anybody tried Crown? Looks more reasonable in terms of pricing?

I would suggest you to go with a known brand, since a few forum members have bought Guru so that seems like a safer option unless you find some users on the forum or elsewhere who have good things to say about Crown.

I too am looking for a step down and decided to go with Maxine which is a known brand and cost almost 1.5 times the price of relatively less known brands ...

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back