220V to 120V converter, 400W

sakitram

Hi,

I recently bought Yamaha V667 receiver. I find it can be powered only by 120 V and 400 W. I could only find convereter 220v to 120v but the wattage different from 400W that it is require.

Please suggest that is there any way to get the matching converter or I can power the unit with any converter without considering the wattage difference.

Thanks,
Sakitram

The power of the converter should be higher than that of your amplifier, otherwise it won't handle the power and can result in damage.

Should I go for assembled power supply unit? Or there is any branded set at this configuration or manually configurable set available in the market?

My receiver configuration:
Input: 120V, 400W, 60Hz

In this case, can I use the conerter the produce 120v, 500W or 1000W?

Thanks

Hi Guys

Planning to buy Onkyo HT-S3400 from US , getting for a good price$300 where hyderabad price is Rs 25K.

But the issue is with 110V . How should I use it in India .Can some one advise me the options and where in Hyderabad should i buy this.

Power Infor :

Power Supply AC 120 V, 60 Hz
Power Consumption 3.5 A

Hi,

I bought a isolated transformer from Universal Transformer two days back.
But I am worried about the configuration of my receiver and the transformer.

Q1:
My receiver configuration = 120V, 400W, 60HZ
Transformer configuration = 110V, 500W

My question is whether the transformer will give appropriate power to the receiver if I used with it, without cause any problem/damage.

When I queried the same question with the shopkeeper, he told me that if the 120V transformer is used, on higher input voltage, the transformer will also give appropriate hike in the output and that is possible to cause damage to the unit.

Q2:
And also he said one more thing, that is contradict to the definition of the Isolated Transformer. He said that if the transformer is given higher input, the transformer will also give corresponding higher output instead of cutoff the output supply.

Please give me your reply on these queries.

Thanks,
Sakitram

yes, if it is a transformer(auto or isolated) output varies with input, to get high voltage cutoff you need seperate electronic circuits like in stabilisers

Hi,

I bought a isolated transformer from Universal Transformer two days back.
But I am worried about the configuration of my receiver and the transformer.

Q1:
My receiver configuration = 120V, 400W, 60HZ
Transformer configuration = 110V, 500W

My question is whether the transformer will give appropriate power to the receiver if I used with it, without cause any problem/damage.

When I queried the same question with the shopkeeper, he told me that if the 120V transformer is used, on higher input voltage, the transformer will also give appropriate hike in the output and that is possible to cause damage to the unit.

Q2:
And also he said one more thing, that is contradict to the definition of the Isolated Transformer. He said that if the transformer is given higher input, the transformer will also give corresponding higher output instead of cutoff the output supply.

Please give me your reply on these queries.

Thanks,
Sakitram

It is true that as input voltage changes, the output voltage also changes, unless the converter has built-in stabilizer function. Suppose the converter is designed so as to give 110v output for an input volt of 220v. (ie; the input to output voltage ratio is 2:1). Now if the voltage increases to say 250v, the output will be 125v. This is why the transformer is designed to give 110v instead of 120v.

You should have gone for a higher wattage transformer say 750W or even 1000W (1kW). The 500w is too low. In theory this transformer can handle a 400w load (which is the maximum load of the amplifier). But what happens if the mains voltage drops to say 160v? The output voltage will be just 80v and the transformer won't be able to supply the necessary juice (current) to the amplifier which can cause damage to your amp.

My advice would be to go for a converter with built in stabilizer function. If I am correct, maxine has such converters with stabilizer function.

I hope the explanation is clear.

I thought there would be over/under voltage protection would be there with Isolated transformer.

Q1.
I think, instead of Isolated transformer, it can be good that Auto transformer + stabilizer. Then connect them as 220V --> Stabilizer --> Auto transformer --> Unit.

Q2.
I just contacted Shah electronics, they said, for AVR, just an Auto Transformer is sufficient. And he said there were no wrong feedback he received from the customer using it so.

Please tell me your suggestion.

Thanks

Sakitram

If your place has no voltage fluctuations, then you can buy the auto transformer. If you want to connect the auto transformer to a stabilizer as mentioned, then the stabilizer power should be greater than that of the auto transformer. If you know electronics, you can assemble a high/low voltage cut-off very easily. Or have it made from someone familiar with electronics.

I am saying that Stabiliazer to the Auto transfomer and the transformer output goes to my Yamaha V667.

AC 220V ==> Stabilizer ==> Auto transformer ==> Audio unit

Please suggest about that.

I know little bit about the electronics and able to make the circuit with breadboard, but do not know how to make it as an unit with PCB and case.

Thanks,
Sakitram

You can connect it like you mentioned (AC 220V ==> Stabilizer ==> Auto transformer ==> Audio unit). But remember the stabilizer power should be greater than that of the auto transformer. ie; if your autotransformer wattage is 500w then stabilizer wattage should be higher than 500w so that it (stabilizer) can handle the current.

Interestingly , stabilizer itself is an muti tapped auto transformer .Practically speaking, it is okay to have a stabilizer with lower capacity that the auto transformer. What really matters is that both the stabilizer and auto transformer should be able to provide the required current and voltage to the load. So you can have a smaller capacity stabilizer as long its VA rating is more than the load's VA rating .

Hope I am making sense.

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Planning to buy Onkyo HT-S3400 from US , getting for a good price$300 where hyderabad price is Rs 25K.

But the issue is with 110V . How should I use it in India .Can some one advise me the options and where in Hyderabad should i buy this.

Power Infor :

Power Supply AC 120 V, 60 Hz
Power Consumption 3.5 A

hOW YOU WILL IMPORT WITHOUT CUSTOM DUTY?

I have had good experience with Raksha brand step-down transformers. They've been used to step the voltage down on everything from a 1.5 KW treadmill, a 50" rear-projection TV to a 80W speaker system that I brought down with me when I did a TR from the U.S. a couple of years ago. All you need to understand is that a step-down transformer needs to equal or exceed the wattage of your device. I've also run an ancient Onkyo THX-919 receiver with one of them without any problem. Keep in mind that the price increases quite a bit when your wattage is 1KW or more.

Back