235 to 250 volts across the day, is it impacting my AV performance?

ankitbhargava

Thanks to the smart socket, I can see the current voltage in app to know what's going on all day and how much fluctuation is there across the day.
In general we have power failure ones a day and the voltage fluctuates between 235 volts to 250 volts (more in night). Does this kind of fluctuation impacts the AV performance?

My power board for AV runs from the inverter and as suggested by some esteemed forum members I should look into power supply stability and conditioning to improvise the system.

Vertex Servo Stabalizer doesn't supply in my state, Krykard quoted Rs. 25000 approx for 3 KVA single Phase with surge/spike arrestor and RFI/EMI filters, shipping, freight, tax.
Is this a fair price?

I completely understand that it s servo stabiliser would give safety and life to my AV equipment but if something like Krykard doesn't add anything to sound quality than I could still go with other brands which are much reasonably priced.

any pointers would be helpful, thanks in advance

Last edited:
As long as it's within 250V, you are good. These devices are designed at a 10% tolerance level of the rated value (230V). If possible get an Online UPS (double-conversion) and hook all your AV equipment to it. With an Online UPS, you will always get the cleanest power irrespective of the fluctuation in the Mains.

*Online UPS makes a lot of noise due to active Fan based cooling.

As long as it's within 250V, you are good. These devices are designed at a 10% tolerance level of the rated value (230V). If possible get an Online UPS (double-conversion) and hook all your AV equipment to it. With an Online UPS, you will always get the cleanest power irrespective of the fluctuation in the Mains.

Thanks, noise is the reason why I did not consider online UPS. The HT setup coexists in my main Bed Room :-|

Thanks, noise is the reason why I did not consider online UPS. The HT setup coexists in my main Bed Room :-|
That's the case with most of us. Probably as a trade-off, opt for APC SUA750I-IND. It's an Offline (No Fan) Pure Sine Wave UPS with a transfer time of less than 2ms. You can change the power profile over a wide range (151 - 302 Adjustable, 160 - 282V) of this UPS through their Power Suite software, which makes it an ideal candidate for Network/AV equpments.

Thanks to the smart socket, I can see the current voltage in app to know what's going on all day and how much fluctuation is there across the day.
In general we have power failure ones a day and the voltage fluctuates between 235 volts to 250 volts (more in night). Does this kind of fluctuation impacts the AV performance?

My power board for AV runs from the inverter and as suggested by some esteemed forum members I should look into power supply stability and conditioning to improvise the system.

Vertex Servo Stabalizer doesn't supply in my state, Krykard quoted Rs. 25000 approx for 3 KVA single Phase with surge/spike arrestor and RFI/EMI filters, shipping, freight, tax.
Is this a fair price?

I completely understand that it s servo stabiliser would give safety and life to my AV equipment but if something like Krykard doesn't add anything to sound quality than I could still go with other brands which are much reasonably priced.

Servo's, online UPS etc. give a stable power supply to connected equipment. The peace of mind is invaluable. Sound quality improvement with servo's/UPS etc. is not guaranteed but is subjective and a matter of individual perception.

To me, the quoted price appears a bit high for a 3KVA servo. That could also be due to the additional surge protection, RFI/EMI filters etc. The extra you are paying Krykard, Vertex etc. over other brands is for product quality and customer service. Perhaps FMs with a recent purchase can give you a better idea of pricing. There was a long post on the forum with some arguing against RFI/EMI filters on servo's etc and others for it. See if you can dig it up.

Battery acid fumes from regular lead-acid batteries and to an extent maybe even from sealed lead-acid batteries are damaging to the lungs and a problem with indoor usage of UPS units with associated lead-acid batteries. If you go the UPS route, you can perhaps keep it outside your bedroom in an open balcony.

Servo's will clunk when switching due to voltage sags and/or rise below/above set limits so they may not be a good idea in a bedroom. Again placing the servo in an open balcony is an option.

In general we have power failure ones a day and the voltage fluctuates between 235 volts to 250 volts (more in night)
You can complain your Electricity Board.I had similar issue and they figured out why there used to be higher voltage up to 260v.They found lift connection, water pump and earthing issues .They took 2 days but fixed it.

@ankitbhargava, 25k for 3kv Krykard Servo is certainly on the higher side. Vertex 3kv sells for around 16k to 18k in Chennai when I last enquired last month. Have got a 1kv Maxine Servo for 6K for AVR and TV. Sub is on a 1kv Syscom stabilizer.

For around 25k you could look into a 2kv double conversion online UPS with inbuilt batteries and minimum backup time.

230V is not an issue. Vertex recommends 230 as standard output setting. My Maxine panel shows 225V to 230V. Checked with a Fluke Multimeter as well. Upto 250V steady is also not a concern. Anyways, servo company should be able to set the output, which is generally 230V.

Can you please elaborate on the smart socket and app thing. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have Vertex Sevo 5Kva ( Overkill ) for my AVR and subs.
1kva Online UPS for the Projector.
Adding the Vertex certainly helped.
And without the Online UPS, i never dared to turn on my Projector. The UPS makes a little noise, not much, which usually drowns in the noise made by the fan of the Projector, which again drowns in the sound of the speakers. So, noise is not a issue.

My take is, get the Online UPS if you can spend. Extra money but brings peace of mind. If you cant do a UPS, get a servo stab from Krykard ( costly ) since Vertex is not available there.

Get the Online UPS for the Projector. This is a must.

Is this a fair price?

Hi Ankit,

I had purchased a Krykard 3Kva in Mumbai last year for Rs. 14,337/- including gst. This is without the Emi & Rfi filters as it is connected to the Sound Foundation's Barracuda power extension which has those filters + spike suppressor. With the Krykard you can set the minimum & maximum cut-off voltage to protect the gear. All this was done by their Technician who had come to my place & it was set at 230 V.
It's quite stable at 230 V +- 2 Volts up/down. At times it makes a short belching sound when there is a fluctuation. Otherwise, it is very silent as long as voltage is more or less stable & can be kept in the same room as your gear if the fluctuations are not very frequent.
Also without the Barracuda extension connected to it , there is no audible noise in sound & is very silent.
I too had considered Vertex but since Krykard service is prevalent in Mumbai hence went for it. It's a good unit & 3Kva is ample for the gear connected to it with headroom. It would require a 16amps wall socket. Behind the Krykard model that I have, unlike the Vertex there is only one plug point to connect to your gear so you will need an extension( Barracuda in my case). Vertex has 4 sockets behind it.
It does give you peace of mind & Imho is worth it. The below thread has Love4sound's Vertex & the Krykard that I have.

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi Ankit,

I had purchased a Krykard 3Kva in Mumbai last year for Rs. 14,337/- including gst. This is without the Emi & Rfi filters as it is connected to the Sound Foundation's Barracuda power extension which has those filters + spike suppressor. With the Krykard you can set the minimum & maximum cut-off voltage to protect the gear. All this was done by their Technician who had come to my place & it was set at 230 V.
It's quite stable at 230 V +- 2 Volts up/down. At times it makes a short belching sound when there is a fluctuation. Otherwise, it is very silent as long as voltage is more or less stable & can be kept in the same room as your gear if the fluctuations are not very frequent.
Also without the Barracuda extension connected to it , there is no audible noise in sound & is very silent.
I too had considered Vertex but since Krykard service is prevalent in Mumbai hence went for it. It's a good unit & 3Kva is ample for the gear connected to it with headroom. It would require a 16amps wall socket. Behind the Krykard model that I have, unlike the Vertex there is only one plug point to connect to your gear so you will need an extension( Barracuda in my case). Vertex has 4 sockets behind it.
It does give you peace of mind & Imho is worth it. The below thread has Love4sound's Vertex & the Krykard that I have.

Regards.
Thanks for the feedback Nitin, I have been quoted as below
Rs. 16000 as basic amount with shipping to Udaipur
Rs. 2500 for Spike/Surge Protector
Rs. 2500 for the Filters
Rs. 1650 for freight
+ 18% GST
= Rs. 26727

After discount, Rs. 25000 total

Was Rs. 14337/- inclusive of the Spike/Surge Protection?

I have Vertex Sevo 5Kva ( Overkill ) for my AVR and subs.
1kva Online UPS for the Projector.
Adding the Vertex certainly helped.
And without the Online UPS, i never dared to turn on my Projector. The UPS makes a little noise, not much, which usually drowns in the noise made by the fan of the Projector, which again drowns in the sound of the speakers. So, noise is not a issue.

My take is, get the Online UPS if you can spend. Extra money but brings peace of mind. If you cant do a UPS, get a servo stab from Krykard ( costly ) since Vertex is not available there.

Get the Online UPS for the Projector. This is a must.
Yes I do have a UPS for Projector :)
Cant imagine running Projector without a power back to cool it down in case power failure happens.

@ankitbhargava, 25k for 3kv Krykard Servo is certainly on the higher side. Vertex 3kv sells for around 16k to 18k in Chennai when I last enquired last month. Have got a 1kv Maxine Servo for 6K for AVR and TV. Sub is on a 1kv Syscom stabilizer.

For around 25k you could look into a 2kv double conversion online UPS with inbuilt batteries and minimum backup time.

230V is not an issue. Vertex recommends 230 as standard output setting. My Maxine panel shows 225V to 230V. Checked with a Fluke Multimeter as well. Upto 250V steady is also not a concern. Anyways, servo company should be able to set the output, which is generally 230V.

Can you please elaborate on the smart socket and app thing. Thanks.
Today I shifted my AVR, Crown Amp and Xbox on the 2KVA Sine Wave UPS (Luminous) I have which is otherwise powering fans/lights at home.
So the chain now is Mains > 2 KVA UPS > 16 Amp Socket > Belkin Surge Protector Strip > Some AV equipment

Projector also has back up from the UPS

In case of Power Failure, I plan to shut down the equipment properly and wait until power is back.

The Voltage I still see fluctuating between 238-246 volts

Here is a screenshot from the Wipro App I was mentioning which shows current voltage

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-25 at 10.34.55 PM.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback Nitin, I have been quoted as below
Rs. 16000 as basic amount with shipping to Udaipur
Rs. 2500 for Spike/Surge Protector
Rs. 2500 for the Filters
Rs. 1650 for freight
+ 18% GST
= Rs. 26727

After discount, Rs. 25000 total

Was Rs. 14337/- inclusive of the Spike/Surge Protection?
Hi Ankit,

Most welcome, the cost was including Spike suppression. I have attached the details of the stabilizer which I have purchased from their Mumbai branch although it came from Chennai. Their customer response is good & the same can be said about Vertex too.

Regards.

Attachments

• Krykard_3kva_model.PNG
    Krykard_3kva_model.PNG
    85.6 KB · Views: 47
Hi Ankit,

Most welcome, the cost was including Spike suppression. I have attached the details of the stabilizer which I have purchased from their Mumbai branch although it came from Chennai.

Regards.
I am quoted for exactly same model, this is really helpful!
Looks like there is huge scope of negotiation in case I decide to buy.

I am quoted for exactly same model, this is really helpful!
Looks like there is huge scope of negotiation in case I decide to buy.
I am glad this could be of help. Pls do try negotiating & see what best they can give. You will need an extension board with the stabilizer.

I am glad this could be of help. Pls do try negotiating & see what best they can give. You will need a extension board with the stabilizer.
Yes I do have an extension Board already :)

I will probably wait and watch for few days now that I have shifted a couple of important equipment on 2KVA sine wave UPS

I had similar concerns when I DIY my tube monoblocks as my power transformer was designed for 230v input AC and what I got in my wall outlet was between 238v to even 257v.

I also had shortlisted many devices to tame the line voltage Viz. UPS, Servo stabilizer, Variac , CVT and did not opt for any of them because of their cons on dynamic response and impedance

Since I am a DIY type and the voltage to drop under consideration was between 10v to 15v, I finally used a bucking transformer. I am using a 9v, 14 A transformer and it helps me to drop around 9v to 11v depending upon the input voltage. These are the best imo as they don't increase the power supply impedance so the dynamics are not affected much unlike other devices.j

I am glad this could be of help. Pls do try negotiating & see what best they can give. You will need an extension board with the stabilizer.
Using extension boards, stabilisers etc all reduce dynamic response ime

Can you brief bit more technically why double conversion UPS is better for AV gears. To the best of my knowledge any inverter circuit output is a PWM wave and it is nothing but a stepped sine wave. A properly designed sine filter, elimination of DC components, attenuation of switching peaks all are involved to correct a PWM to sine wave to certain extend. Not sure how much all those implemented inside a small UPS.

Un treated PWM wave is not good for feeding to any transformer / motor for many reasons unless otherwise it is designed for PWM wave input.

Using extension boards, stabilisers etc all reduce dynamic response ime
Sir, since I am not so technically inclined as some, for people like us a stabilizer or a UPS brings peace of mind. For the model of Krykard that I am using, there is just one output from the stabilizer which leaves me no choice but to use an extension board. Besides, I don't have many wall sockets where the gear is.
Honestly speaking to my untrained ears, even before I got the stabilizer & Barracuda extension, when some of the gear was connected directly to the mains, I could perceive no difference in delay or noise in sound.
For me the stabilizer & Barracuda was more for peace of mind.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back