24fps vs 50

greenhorn

I was reading on the debate on motion smoothing and 24 vs 50 fps. I tried out the examples of 24fps vs 50 online, and the former seem more dramatic, but the latter looks natural. I can see the point of view on both, but somehow I prefer accurate to dramatic. To use a flawed analogy, seems like 24fps is becoming the vinyl of video. Just because we're used to something in a particular way, does it make it better?

Last edited:
It's not just because we are used to it, it's because films (barring a few exceptions) are made to be viewed at 24fps. It's true to source, as the director intended you to absorb the story.

A lot like how music (barring a few exceptions) is made for 2ch listening.

Well the whole "look" of movie cameras is the motion blurring induced due to anemic 24 FPS, which differentiates it from live viewing.
Well isn't that the whole ploy of Cinema industry? To give a dream like appearance in stark contrast with real life.

However, I belong to the camp - the higher (FPS, resolution, etc) the better.
And well 50FPS can render 25FPS material without any modifications.

It's not just because we are used to it, it's because films (barring a few exceptions) are made to be viewed at 24fps. It's true to source, as the director intended you to absorb the story.

A lot like how music (barring a few exceptions) is made for 2ch listening.
For music, 2 channel is fine, where the source soundstage would have worked fine in 2 channel. For some other types - like recordings of famous church organs - Surround is a must, and 2 channel does not give you the correct scale.

More than number of channels, I think fps in movies is similar to sampling frequency in sound, and this is a lot similar to the anti Oversampling camp we have - While Oversampling and dither are not as noticeable, I still think it helps compared to a pure 44Khz dac (mostly because of the brickwall filters you need)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back