29 inch CRT - what to do ?

netant

I have a 29 inch Onida Oxygen thunder (bought in 2008 December) currently used as our secondary TV.
its is excellent condition (technical as well as visual) no scratches, no dirt.

i am in a dilemma, to sell it or not, as this is the last piece of CRT we have.

as i have bought a panny, now i don't have space for this one to keep. although my heart is saying not to sell, but in that case the end result will be to pack it in its original Box and keep in the balcony so that rain and stuffs gradually kill it :(

second is the olx way, but im not aware of how much i can expect from this TV.

third option is, courier it to my parents, where we have ample space to store it for another 100years. also, i don't know the possibilities of courier such a bulky thing.

please suggest what should i do.

Couriering it would be expensive. Send it to your parents and they will worry at the money+trouble you went through to have it delivered :)
You may sell it for Rs4-5k tops, since people would rather buy a cheap unbranded LCD TV from TCL and crap Micromax

Our 29" Samsung Tv, even though its Slimline model, is friggin heavy even for 2 people to lift. We called up Samsung service center and they were like -"lol wut? No company services CRT anymore" ..We used it for 6 yrs till the tube conked out and we replaced it with a Samsung Plasma.

We havnt thrown it yet, and neither should you, whether its working or not. Unless u really need money, keep it. After all, yours is working at least, ours is gone case yet we have stored it for .....maybe vintage collection for future kids? :D

You don't have to keep it because you have space. Unless you can really keep it "functional" for another 25 years when it would have gained some antique value.

You can keep it if you love it but what's the point.

My suggestion is to dispose it off.

Keep it if you got space, I wouldn't throw it off if I were you. It will also cost you a lot if you courier it to your parent's place but that's an option too. You can give it to your friend for free just to keep it in working condition. Saying hello to new tech doesn't mean you've to bid good ol' tech good-bye :)

If space is the problem then there is no other option but to dispose it off. Even if you get 4-5k, it will pay for a nice evening out.:) Otherwise, think about what shivam suggests.

Mate, wish you were in Mumbai, would have taken it off you as charity :). I have a 29" Sony trinitron....usage cable(SD)...bought in 2002....IC problem...shows everything in purple colour now...sony service center has refused support...

I also have a 65VT30 panny plasma which i use only for movies and other HD content..i could never enjoy daily cable i.e news, and other channels on this big TV despite having TATA sky HD......hence if you can manage the space it is worth having the CRT around for daily usage..

I wish I were in Bangalore now, I would have taken the 29 gladly.

I have no TV to watch as my Panasonic is still under repairs:sad:

Wifey has given the ultimatum, either fix it or throw it and certainly no new TV till one of the above happens.

Last edited:
My view would be that donot dispose it off as it is in excellent working condition. We have been hearing about panel failures frequently in the forum and while I wish you donot face such problem, ONIDA would be a backup in case of any eventuality.
I am having a Videocon bazoomba for the last 14 years and its power supply unit conked off. Videocon service washed their hands off saying it is an old model. However a local mechanic fixed it for 1500 including replacement of an important IC.While I was in the mood for flat panel, the lack of reliability of the products and maximum 3 years warranty(including extended) has deterred me for buying it presently.

For sentimental and as a backup u should hold on to it. As they say if u have a place in the heart definitely u can find a place. with proper packing definitely it can be preserved.

exactly my pov :)
Also this is first tv which i bought of my own so have sentiments attached.
but my real problem is storage :sad: it too bulky with the woofers & damn heavy.

I also went through the same process abt 18 to 20 months back, i had to sell my LG 29 inches TV as there was no space to keep the same in my apartment. That was ofcourse the first tv i bought from my earnings in 2006. I sold it through olx/quikr for 4k. I am sure you can sell for the same price. manyy college students will be happy buying something like this.

If its working use it mate. Connect a DVDP or a PC and let the kids or the wife use it. I have one 29" CRT that the family uses to watch DVDs and also another 32" LCD that's used for gaming.

Selling them will not fetch anything and they are still working in excellent condition to be put out on the balcony or the attic. I've simply setup secondary systems that folks use from time to time. If you have kids or in-laws or anyone watching primarily SD channels it will be a perfect fit there too.

Let selling be a last resort... the money will not last a weekend at the mall or a good dinner at a fancy restaurant... unless of course you come across someone who really needs a good TV... check with maid, milkman, watchman, etc. At least these folks will use it for a few more years.

Thank you all for your inputs.... those are highly appreciated .
i guess, i need to find out a way to creatively place this somewhere, if succeeded, i will unpack my ps2 after ages, hook with it & play Burnout - series once again , something like this
L5o0fY8.jpg

image from flickr via google search.

as other option were not possible, in-laws stays ~2,000 km away and also can't send even they stayed 20km away due to "log kya bolenge" type feelings. maid too had a lcd tv.

If you can find taker if not a buyer you are lucky just donate it. In Chennai I could find some bachelor boys who are interested in stuff like this, who are sure that they will be leaving the country in short time. In fact my CRTs I had put in the portions which I let out to some software engineers / bank recruits. They were too happy to have a TV. In the later years having a CRT in the portion been a set back in letting out. So I donated to my house electrician and house maid.

There is no point in packing it and so called "preserving it" this is not pickle or wine which will better as time goes by. "This is electronics man" Humidity is the biggest enemy. As you precisely said giving it to in laws is suicidal.

Think twice, just let go when its in good condition.

I gave all of mine to our helpers etc. They will thank you for it and you will not have to worry about storage. There is nothing much you can do with a big grey box these days.

Donation is the best idea. The "thank you's", the feeling that you did something good and the fact that you were not short-charged is priceless. Selling will hardly fetch you more than 3-4K - I wouldn't pay more than that.

Donation is the best idea. The "thank you's", the feeling that you did something good and the fact that you were not short-charged is priceless. Selling will hardly fetch you more than 3-4K - I wouldn't pay more than that.
yes, yet to execute the option im considering:-
  1. donation - there is orphanage association who visit our society frequently and our society/ we help them by providing all short of possible help. like books, unused mobile phones, clothes, etc I will talk to them in their next visit.
  2. preserving it for my future children :p, this includes creative placement & occasionally using it for playing games.

no point selling it for mere 4-5k, love cant be sold, it can only be shared :)

Donating wont be such a bad idea, you know, the "letting it go" part. Its like Toy Story 3, you know, when you finally grow up to the next tech, the old tech has to be cast away, but who knows the new owners may really love it. Maybe they will love it as much as you ONCE LOVED IT.... Im getting all teary eyed loll..

CRT technology was so near flawless, i mean ever since B/W and the jump to Color, CRT is one damn good tech. I dont think TFT LCD and Plasma can ever achieve what CRT achieved. Tech growth has seriously declined for displays...cmon it took over a decade for Plasmas to rid itself of "burn-ins" but that too with a half assed solution (and still not perfect). LCD too hasnt solved its problems, just reduced the intensity of the problems.

CRT tech is a gem of a technology, and discarding it away like a used condom is a crime !!! :D :D :D Pixar and Dreamworls SKG still use CRT for making those animated movies. ;)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back