32 inch full HD LCD or 42 inch HD ready Plasma

rohan_iitr

I am planning to purchase a flat screen TV for my bedroom.

Viewing distance = 8 feet

Typical usage = Watching SD and HD content through Tata Sky plus HD box, movies played through USB drive, movies played through laptop

My laptop is old and does not support HDMI, hence DLNA feature is important for me.

Would like to buy a TV with most video formats supported. Also would like the TV to have decent sound output. I am not planning to install a home theatre system with this TV.

I am considering 32 inch LCD TV (full HD) and 42 inch plasma TV (HD ready). For obvious reasons, I would like to stick to Samsung in case of LCD or Panasonic in case of plasma.

LED is out of my budget (35k approx).

From a distance of 8 feet, I don't think I can make out the difference between 1080p or 720p. But the size difference between 42 inch plasma and 32 inch LCD is something I find difficult to ignore, especially since both are selling at almost the same price.

This TV would be wall mounted. The plasma TV weighs 25 kgs, I hope wall mounting this would not be a problem.

I have shortlisted 2 models:
- Samsung Series 5 LCD (LA32D580K4R)
- Panasonic Vierra Plasma (TH-P42X30D)

Please help me decide between one of these.

Rohan

My choice would be to go for 42" HD ready plasma for the following reasons:

1. You cannot distinguish much between 720 and 1080. Same with me at 10 feet.
2. I find plasma better for movies over LCD. It deals better with constrast and motion.
3. Most material you play via USB tends to be 720p and not 1080p. File sizes in 1080p become very big and less easily available.

However, I would suggest you a samsung Plasma (43D450) instead of Panasonic X30. Reasons would be the following:
1. You can play more formats via the USB. I am not sure if the Panasonic can play all formats especially 720p/1080p
2. The Samsung is much slimmer (56mm), sleeker and lighter (16kg).
3. You do get an extra inch (43 vs 42), which makes the screen 5% larger than Panasonic.

Panasonic plasma are the best at the top end while the lower models do not have the same panels etc. At the entry level Samsung is regarded as equally good if not better. I personally went for 43D490 which is a 3D set for 40k. Since Panasonic had no competing model the decision was easy.

I was in a similar dilemma 40" LCD or 42" Plasma.
And I chose P42X30D. I am happy with that and I recommend it.

32" and 42" makes a whole lot of difference than a FullHD and HD ready

In your given options, you may want to consider LCD, if you are interested in the following:
1) Your viewing distance could become less than or equal to 6 feet.
2) You will use this as a computer monitor often.
3) You are bothered by reflections in the screen.

Unless you have a cardboard type walls, normal walls can handle the weight. No issues.

I was in a similar confusion and I went for Panasonic 42X10D Plasma.. I play all types of movies,, Dvdrips, 720p and 1080 ... it looks great... Threr s Sony 32 inch LCD in our living room.. So after a thorough comparision IMHO Plasma will be better over 32 LCD... as u r getting more screen area and even PQ is better ... especially for HD Movies... But I agree,, SD Content looks better on LCD from my TATA Sky (Which is not HD)..

Please go for a Full HD Plasma. The prices have fallen & Full HD is the way to go.
The future is full HD and with more and more channels likely to go the HD way.
Bluray movies/full HD channels are more astounding in full HD from as close as 5 feet. Thats my personal experience.
When you talk about 32". I agree on HD ready, but on anywhere 42 & above full HD is the order of the day.

Go with Panasonic, the 42U30D is an excellent model. It is the only brand that offers 3 years comprehensive warranty.

Please go for a Full HD Plasma. The prices have fallen & Full HD is the way to go.
The future is full HD and with more and more channels likely to go the HD way.
Bluray movies/full HD channels are more astounding in full HD from as close as 5 feet. Thats my personal experience.
When you talk about 32". I agree on HD ready, but on anywhere 42 & above full HD is the order of the day.

Go with Panasonic, the 42U30D is an excellent model. It is the only brand that offers 3 years comprehensive warranty.

42U30D is no longer available. You may get some old stock. but no new production

Thanks for all the replies. :)

I checked out the Panasonic 42X30 yesterday. PQ was good, even though it is HD ready. I could not make out the difference in PQ of this HD ready model vs a full HD model kept next to it.

But I was somehow not satisfied with the sound quality. I am not planning to install a home theatre, hence SQ is also important for me.

Finally decided to go with 32 inch full HD LCD from Samsung or LG. Considering models with inbuilt woofer and tweeter. :D

Rohan

If you want impressive sound quality from TV without a HT set-up the midway solution is to go for a soundbar.
Some of the better soundbars offer decoding which is useful when you connect your HD settop box.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

I checked out the Panasonic 42X30 yesterday. PQ was good, even though it is HD ready. I could not make out the difference in PQ of this HD ready model vs a full HD model kept next to it.

But I was somehow not satisfied with the sound quality. I am not planning to install a home theatre, hence SQ is also important for me.

Finally decided to go with 32 inch full HD LCD from Samsung or LG. Considering models with inbuilt woofer and tweeter. :D

Rohan

Hi Rohan,

Congrats on your decision, however just a small note to inform you that the 42" covers 72% more area than a 32". I don't know if it is budget constrain, but 42" offers a far better viewing experience than a 32". Plasma offer better and natural color depth and wider viewing area.

Visual TV Size Comparison : 32 inch 16x9 display vs 42 inch 16x9 display

Hi Rohan,

Congrats on your decision, however just a small note to inform you that the 42" covers 72% more area than a 32". I don't know if it is budget constrain, but 42" offers a far better viewing experience than a 32". Plasma offer better and natural color depth and wider viewing area.

Visual TV Size Comparison : 32 inch 16x9 display vs 42 inch 16x9 display

Thanks for the concern.

I am on a tight budget of 35k. Will have to put another 4-5k for Tata Sky + HD box.

I don't want to invest more in a sound bar. Space in my bedroom is also a constraint. I would be wall mounting this TV.

Viewing distance in my bedroom is approximately 8 feet. I have a feeling that 32 inch would be sufficient for everyday TV viewing and occasional movies.

I agree that 42 inch plasma would provide a better viewing experience than a 32 inch LCD, but I'm looking for a "jack of all trades" (PQ as well as SQ). :D

Rohan

Dear, Please check with local Panasonic shop. I know it is available on site but not in the Market. You may get if some one has old stock but no new stock is available

It is available in Chennai and the stock is fresh. Please do not preempt advises without first hand information and do go through my link before branding it as an old model.

It is available in Chennai and the stock is fresh. Please do not preempt advises without first hand information and do go through my link before branding it as an old model.

It is true that 42U30D is a 2011 model and is the only full HD 42 inch plasma. But its was disappeared from shops suddenly for some unknown reasons. If older posts were checked, there were reports of some problems with this model. May be panasonic has replenished stocks after rectifying the defects?

Update: Finally purchased Samsung Series 4 HD ready LCD TV.

I had almost decided on the Series 5 Full HD model, because the price difference between Series 4 and Series 5 was hardly 4k for similar models.

But when I went to the Samsung shop in Koramangala, he offered me LA32D450 model at a heavy discount of 5k on the MRP. (Other models had a discount of 2k).

So I brought home this LCD TV for 27k only. :yahoo:

Played some 720p videos on it, I am satisfied with the PQ and SQ.

Also ordered a Tata Sky + HD connection for this LCD TV. :)

Rohan

Finally purchased a Samsung Series 4 32 inch HD ready LCD TV last weekend.

A few questions :

1. User manual says not to leave static images on the screen for long duration. Do LCD TVs also have image retention issues like plasma TVs ?

2. I watch SD channels in 4:3 aspect ratio with black pillar boxes on both sides. Will this cause any harm to LCD TV ? (Will the black pillar boxes cause image retention ?)

3. Is a voltage stabiliser required/recommended for LCD TV ? Any recommended brands/models ? (I am currently using a spike suppressor)

Rohan

A few questions :

1. User manual says not to leave static images on the screen for long duration. Do LCD TVs also have image retention issues like plasma TVs ?

2. I watch SD channels in 4:3 aspect ratio with black pillar boxes on both sides. Will this cause any harm to LCD TV ? (Will the black pillar boxes cause image retention ?)

3. Is a voltage stabiliser required/recommended for LCD TV ? Any recommended brands/models ? (I am currently using a spike suppressor)

Rohan

LCD TV's have no Image Retention problems :) Chill :) They simply put those things in user manual just to take into consideration extreme cases of abuse !!

Getting a voltage stabilizer is essential and it can be used 2 or 3 devices i.e stb, bluray etc and it protects all of them .

A few questions :

Rohan
Watch it as you want it, you will have no burn-in issues and other such stuff associated with plasmas. However I suggest you fix the most comfortable view setting and let it run in that state without major changes for atleast a month.

Ultimately enjoy your purchase, thats the best way to go about it.

Back