32 inch LED TV to use with Sun Direct Normal (non HD)

sankarsr

Friends,

I am planning to buy a 32 inch LED TV. As we don't watch TV too much (< 1 hr a day average), I don't want to change my DTH connection. I still want to continue with my current Sun Direct connection.

Budget: < Rs. 34 K
Type: LED
HD: HD Ready or Full HD ( not sure whether I can use Full HD with normal DTH connection? Can someone clarify whether it is worth taking Full HD? Will I be able to at least some good quality Gemini, TV9, ETV etc., in Full HD?
USB: I have lot of videos downloaded from internet for my children. So it would be great if the model plays lot of formats using USB
Quality: I usually prefer to listen with good sound quality. So better SQ would be really added advantage. Obviously good PQ is minimum expectation as I am changing from my current CRT to LED TV.
Rate: I just read about picture rate. If it is 100 or so I think better. you can suggest

P.S. Already got confused with lot of models and features. :-(

Friends,

I am planning to buy a 32 inch LED TV. As we don't watch TV too much (< 1 hr a day average), I don't want to change my DTH connection. I still want to continue with my current Sun Direct connection.

Budget: < Rs. 34 K
Type: LED
HD: HD Ready or Full HD ( not sure whether I can use Full HD with normal DTH connection? Can someone clarify whether it is worth taking Full HD? Will I be able to at least some good quality Gemini, TV9, ETV etc., in Full HD?
USB: I have lot of videos downloaded from internet for my children. So it would be great if the model plays lot of formats using USB
Quality: I usually prefer to listen with good sound quality. So better SQ would be really added advantage. Obviously good PQ is minimum expectation as I am changing from my current CRT to LED TV.
Rate: I just read about picture rate. If it is 100 or so I think better. you can suggest

P.S. Already got confused with lot of models and features. :-(
Read the many threads on 32" TVs. 32" is the most popular size amongst the consumers (though it may not be so in this forum). The most common viewing distance for viewers (across the world) is 6 to 8 feet. For a TV of this size, and at that viewing distance, HD (720p) or Full-HD (1080p) will make absolutely no difference. This is because the human eye cannot make out the pixel difference at longer distances. So ...

Advice 1: Save your money. Do not spend on the more expensive full-HD 1080p TV. Stick to HD-Ready 720p TV.

At your budget point, the LED TVs that are available are direct-backlighting LED TVs. These TVs do not have local dimming or such features. LED TVs are also LCD TVs because the panel is still an LCD. Pure LCD TVs are backlit by CCFL whereas in LED TVs, the LCD panel is backlit by, er, LEDs. LED TVs are costlier than LCDs but more energy efficient. LCD panel suffers from motion lag, judder and slow response. This is true of LCD or LED TVs. To overcome this drawback, such TVs are supported by higher refresh rate, motion control features such as XR Motion Control (Sony), Clear Motion Rate (Samsung), etc. But these features are usually in the high end models only. So ...

Advice 2: Stick to LCD TVs which are essentially cheaper because LED TVs will be costlier and not bring you any benefit, especially at your price point.
OR
Advice 3: Increase your budget slightly and look for LED TVs that offer motion smoothening features. Note that motion smoothening has its own drawbacks too - it gives rise to a phenomenon known as the Soap Opera Effect (search Google for this).

Nowadays, almost all flat panel TVs allow USB connectivity and playback. But lower end TVs may restrict the USB disk size to 4GB. Sony TVs can't play back USB drives formatted in NTFS format. So check. Sound quality of most flat panel TVs is at best average. There is nothing you can do about it. You will not get the same sound quality as your CRT TV.

Thank you!

Really appreciate for taking time and giving detailed response.

Can you please clarify how normal DTH (non HD) goes with HD and HD ready 720p tv? Also can you please suggest some good models in HD ready ?

Last edited:
Normal SD looks much better on CRT. It does not look that good on 720p and/or 1080p. This is because CRT TV resolution matches the SD resolution. You will get a fair idea when you visit showrooms. Showrooms will generally show you HD and try to impress you. But ask them to show you SD for comparison.

Regarding HD-Ready models, there are those from Sony BX series, Samsung 4 Series, Panasonic, Toshiba, etc. Visit multibrand showrooms, including the local electronic shops that stock multiple brands (i.e., not just showrooms like Croma, Reliance Digital, eZone, etc.).

Hi Just4Kix,

Your explanations are so precise and well organised.

I usually make it a point to read them every time.

Nice one again.

Also a larger 720p would be warranted in these circumstances to get a more cinematic effect. But I am not willing to get into the Plasma/LCD/LED debate :). Let the OP choose.

Vinod

After considering all the suggestions and available options. Here is the two options that I have:

1) Sony 32EX330 (around 28K)
2) 32LS4600 ( around 28K, one of the friend is selling extra piece as he got this as a gift, it actual price around 35K).

Can you please clarify which one will be good to view with normal DTH connection (SD) ? Good PQ and SQ is main criteria.

Do let me know negative points of this model, if you know any.

Thank you in advance!

After considering all the suggestions and available options. Here is the two options that I have:

1) Sony 32EX330 (around 28K)
2) 32LS4600 ( around 28K, one of the friend is selling extra piece as he got this as a gift, it actual price around 35K).

Can you please clarify which one will be good to view with normal DTH connection (SD) ? Good PQ and SQ is main criteria.

Do let me know negative points of this model, if you know any.

Thank you in advance!

Sony should be better normally. But you should demo both pieces before taking the plunge.

One thing I would like to say is that sun sd is of inferior quality. I too have sun hd. Hd channels are good but non hd is obnoxious.
I have it because I jumped into satellite hd pretty soon and sun was the first one to provide hd channels in India.

One thing I would like to say is that sun sd is of inferior quality. I too have sun hd. Hd channels are good but non hd is obnoxious.
I have it because I jumped into satellite hd pretty soon and sun was the first one to provide hd channels in India.

Yes Dirac. I also got this sun direct (non HD) DTH long back (4+ years ago I think).

Do you have any idea whether this goes with Sony 32EX330 or not ? Will be poor PQ?

I some websites they mentioned 32EX330 has FULL HD (croma), but some sites HD ready. What do you think it is actually ?

Last edited:
I agree with Dirac. I had to change my dth (from sundirect) because the picture quality was very poor after i got my led tv.

Thanks Ethenhunt. That's what my worry is :-(. I don't want to change DTH now. We don't watch TV much. Just news, some comedy programs or game shows. That is the reason checking whether Sony 32EX330 is working fine with SD DTH or not.

I visited few shops. Where they are telling they don't have facility to show non-HD content.

I some websites they mentioned 32EX330 has FULL HD (croma), but some sites HD ready. What do you think it is actually ?

Going by the sony brochure, it is not a FULL HD tv. The closest model in 32" that has FULL HD is EX650. But as some say in this forum, for 32" HD ready is good enough!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back