32" Sony or Panasonic (Urgent)

sandeep_s

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a 32" LCD TV. I have a PS3 and lots of HD videos (720p MKV and MOVs). But this TV will be used mostly to see the indian channels.

My budget is strictly less than 35k now. I cannot extend it at this point of time. So I had decided to get a good alround TV for normal use and get a good 42" TV later on (may be after a year) for gaming/HD viewing.

SO I had narrowed down on Sony KLV-32EX300. As its retailing at 33k now. But in the showroom the Sales man showed my the Panasonic TH-L32U20. He said that it has an more advanced IPS panel which has better PQ. And it is Full HD at the same price.

So now I am completely confused. I am planning to buy by this weekend. Please any ideas are welcome.

Also the Panasonic does not have USB support. So in Sony what all files can be played (Divx Avi, MOV, MKV)?

Thanks,
Sandeep

Last edited:
Any ideas poeple. I need some info about the quality difference between Sony and Panasonic LCDs. I need to buy it this weekend.

Hi Sandeep

Just to give you something for your budget. Since you are based in Bangalore, why not have a look at a Llyod TV model 40UV edge lit LED 40" 1080P TV (I know it is not reputed as say a Sony or Panasonic) for an MRP of Rs 46,000 but is easily available for Rs 35,000 without bargaining. Quality looked superb too. It is available at Girijas only and seems to be made in Japan, have a look and let me know. I hope this helps.

Regards

Vinod

Sandeep,

From your requirements Samsung C series lcd fits the bill. :) check it out.

Kittu

Hi Sandeep

Just to give you something for your budget. Since you are based in Bangalore, why not have a look at a Llyod TV model 40UV edge lit LED 40" 1080P TV (I know it is not reputed as say a Sony or Panasonic) for an MRP of Rs 46,000 but is easily available for Rs 35,000 without bargaining. Quality looked superb too. It is available at Girijas only and seems to be made in Japan, have a look and let me know. I hope this helps.

Regards

Vinod

Sure Vinod, will check it this weekend. I cannot go anytime sooner than that.
Do you have first hand experience with this? What is the warranty period? Who does the service for these, any idea?

Sandeep,

From your requirements Samsung C series lcd fits the bill. :) check it out.

Kittu

Kittu, I think for my budget even 4 series can be bought. Dont you think 4 series is better than 3 series?

I will suggest LG JAZZ panasonic never support USB video and dont think all TV should support all video features ....Sony also very good brand name ....check it put Tv should support 1920x1080 p Resolutions

LG Jazz Theatre Widescreen LCD TV - Model 32LH60YR LCD
Roseboy, I never had LG in the contention. I always looked for Sony or Samsung. I did read good reviews about the sound quality in this particular model in other threads though. Do you know the pricing (in Bangalore, if possible)?

Guys, my requirement is simple. I need a 32" alround TV which is good in
1. SD conversion for normal TV channels. Right now I do not have DTH. But will get soon.
2. More than frequently viewing movies. Both SD and 720p in equal proportion. (I have good collection of both :) )
3. Occationally PS3 games (for now, Once i get my own 42" TV. this will be primary :eek:hyeah:)

4. EDIT:Cost 35k or less. I can stretch it to 37-38 only if there is strong enough reason for it. Nothing beyond it

Please suggest. Any brand is fine.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You can even check out VU, I just 2 pcs of 32' LCD @ Rs25K each and am very satisfied with the quality. Check it out yourself, shud be avbl at croma.

Nikhil

I have purchased one year back Panasonic 32" TH-L32-X10 LCD for Rs.28000/- since then it's working perfectly for me. I have connected SET TOP Box, WD Media Player and DVD Player.

You can even check out VU, I just 2 pcs of 32' LCD @ Rs25K each and am very satisfied with the quality. Check it out yourself, shud be avbl at croma.

Nikhil

Nikhil, will try to look at it.
Sorry for my ignorance in this matter. But is 'VU' the complete brand name or short form of something else?

I have purchased one year back Panasonic 32" TH-L32-X10 LCD for Rs.28000/- since then it's working perfectly for me. I have connected SET TOP Box, WD Media Player and DVD Player.

Rajesh, thanks for the info. Few questioins.
With what all TV did you compare it while buying?
How is the quality of the watching normal SD channels/movies in it?

Hi Sandeep,

I had a quick look only at the girijas showroom in electronic city. It was lying in one corner while all the sales guys were busy demoing the usual sonys and pannys. I had to ask the guy to turn it on and it was hooked to a DVD player only. (VERY POOR DEMO). But I was impressed by what I saw. The sales guy was not very interested (I guess his cut was less!!!).

So I went through their website and was told that the Girijas near to Devegowda petrol pump had all their models on demo. No time for me to go as I am a bit busy with work. Maybe you can check it out and let me know details like warranty, service etc. But the TV is definitely impressive. AN edge lit TV for that price now is pretty decent.

Regards

Vinod

Hi Sandeep,

I had a quick look only at the girijas showroom in electronic city. It was lying in one corner while all the sales guys were busy demoing the usual sonys and pannys. I had to ask the guy to turn it on and it was hooked to a DVD player only. (VERY POOR DEMO). But I was impressed by what I saw. The sales guy was not very interested (I guess his cut was less!!!).

So I went through their website and was told that the Girijas near to Devegowda petrol pump had all their models on demo. No time for me to go as I am a bit busy with work. Maybe you can check it out and let me know details like warranty, service etc. But the TV is definitely impressive. AN edge lit TV for that price now is pretty decent.

Regards

Vinod

Vinod, I checked the Lloyd TV. it looked impressive. But my father is not ready to buy any unknown brand eventhough I was ready to give a try to any brand as such.

So LLoyd, VU, even Videocon is out.

We have narrowed down on three brands Samsung, Sony or Panasonic (even for Panasonic I had to push hard to be considered).
So I have narrowed down the following TVs

1. Sony EX 300 - HDR - 33k
2. Sony EX 400 - FHD - 38k
3. Samsung C450 - HDR - 32k ( not sure fo the price, have to enquire again)
4. Samsung C530 - FHD - 38k
5. Panasonic LCD U20 - FHD - 33k

I think C530 is best of the lot. I might get discount on it further. Have to check.
Guys which one do you think will be best for my needs?

Regards,
Sandeep

Vinod, I checked the Lloyd TV. it looked impressive. But my father is not ready to buy any unknown brand eventhough I was ready to give a try to any brand as such.

Then do check the LG 32LD310. Absolute VFM Tv @ 23K.

Also LG service backup is good.
Has a protective glass on top of the IPS panel. So a safe alternative if you have kids at home. Samsung and Sony don't have this layer.
+ Viewing angle is good, colours are also vivid.
- Black levels not great. Only one HDMI input.

We have narrowed down on three brands Samsung, Sony or Panasonic (even for Panasonic I had to push hard to be considered).
So I have narrowed down the following TVs

1. Sony EX 300 - HDR - 33k
2. Sony EX 400 - FHD - 38k
3. Samsung C450 - HDR - 32k ( not sure fo the price, have to enquire again)
4. Samsung C530 - FHD - 38k
5. Panasonic LCD U20 - FHD - 33k

I think C530 is best of the lot. I might get discount on it further. Have to check.
Guys which one do you think will be best for my needs?

Regards,
Sandeep

Well if you don't mind buying in the grey market located in gandhinagar you can get the Sony EX400 for about 27k to 28k approx may be cheaper by now.

C530 is as good as the Sony EX400 provided it has a SPVA panel.

I would advise you to go against the wishes of your father on this one. The suggestion made by Vinod is 2 good to be true... if true, grab it. Any 40" LCD TV which can be had for 35K, whether it be sold as Lloyd or Floyd or Zloyd, is a bargain for sure. And I think Vinod mentioned that it is made in Japan. If they are offering decent warranty terms then just browbeat your father and get this one. If it is made in Japan then it should be much better than your run-of-the-mill Videocons or VUs.

Well Llyod is a indian brand.All these third tier manufactures get lcd with OEM specs or panels that have inferior backlight with lower color gamut and color filter compared to the first tier companies like Lg,panasonic,samsung/sony/sharp.

These companies pour millions in R&D to separate them from the rest,since there are only about a dozen companies that make large size lcds,(excluding unknown chinese companies)

Infact its reported that soon even first tier makers will make cost cuttings to bring prices down

Videocon may well be using a made in japan panel or taiwan or korea.But its still assembled in india,with a unknown make image processing circuitry.

About llyod i was actually looking for their laundry dryer,build quality was better then the crappy IFB,but not as good as whirlpool or siemens.
But the price was cheap but didn't buy it due to the unknown after sales and support and what kind of parts are used on the inside.

All these third tier manufactures get lcd with OEM specs or panels that have inferior backlight with lower color gamut and color filter compared to the first tier companies like Lg,panasonic,samsung/sony/sharp.

That's the first good thing you have said about LG:D:clapping:

Last edited:
Why not consider a Plasma.

You can get a 42 inch plasma at your budget.
Have a look at :
- Panasonic 42X20D
- Samsung 42C450

In my view, the picture quality of these plasma TVs are as good as, or better than the LCDs you are looking at. And you get a bigger TV at the same price.

go for Sony if u consider sound quality as priority along with picture clarity.Samsung and Panasonic are pathetic in this.Else there is nothing much different between the 3.

That's the first good thing you have said about LG:D:clapping:

The fact is LG is a first tier company.If you felt that was a good thing and others comments were bad thats your view . You perhaps have overlooked since there are plenty of good things about LG that i have said.
If a product is good ,then one says good things about it.But if the product is bad or in others words good but not as as good as others ,one will not have much or any good things to say about it.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back