46 inch plus TV .. HX750 or HX850 or ST50

manzb

I have been using a HD ready Sony LCD for last 5 years.. no issue, still happy.. but considering that now there are great TVs on offer at much bigger sizes, I am planning to upgrade. My choices revolves around following TVs
46 HX750 (close to 90K)
46 HX850 (close to 110k)
55 HX750 (close to 140k)
50 ST50 (close to 100k)

Though my budget is around a lac, I can stretch a bit if the TV is real getter..

I am planning around diwali (when better offers are expected), and can wait sometime more for the same, if prices are expected drop significantly.. I will use it in the hall and it is not bright and does not face any window or door, so plasma is also fine.. need your advice

If you will use it mostly for Bluray movie watching than TV shows, sports etc pick the ST50. If it's going to be mostly TV shows, sports, DVDs etc then pick HX850. Forget about the HX750 it's not in the same league as HX850/ST50.

Thanx avmaxfan..

Well though I watch mostly Movies (80%) & balance sports, news etc.. but better half is more inclined to soaps etc.. :) .. I hv tata sky HD connection

Though goin by this thread, ST50 seems obvious choice, but somehow, laymen outside such forums advice only LEDs... Wat's missing in HX750 vis-a-vis HX850? The difference is a bit too much at 20k.. is it worth paying 20 k extra for the difference?

Also shall I wait till Diwali for a better price/ offer?

which is why all laymen come to this forum for expert advice :), so please ask the experts here and do not trust any laymen, least of all the shop salesman. They do not have the proper training and will only sell based on higher commission.

If you want a tv primarily for picture quality, deep black levels, accurate skin tones, natural colours, etc........with a cinema like experience then it will be hard to beat ST50. However since you have been with Sony all this time and if you like the vivid and brighter colours of LED/LCD then HX850 would be the obvious choice. It is one of Sony best.

Personally I am a plasma die hard fan and am totally only into movies, so to me ST50 is the only choice. There are loads of reviews on the net which talk about why ST50 is such an excellent tv. But if LED works for you then HX850 will not disappoint.

Trust me. I went for ST50 and have not regreted it at all. For lesser price than the equivalent 46" LED, I am getting better PQ, extra 4", deep blacks (without having to tinker the settings), great performance and bang for every buck spent.

As stated in earlier posts, HX750 is simple no competition. HX850 comes closer to ST50 but still cannot beat it (this is not what I am saying, it is what CNET experts are saying). HX925 could be equivalent but is outrageously priced and comes in 55" and 65" sizes only.

Also check this out: Best HDTVs overall

Last edited:
Well in that case get the ST50. Demo both HX850 and ST50 before you buy.

And overall the HX850 is much closer to the ST50 than what the CNET review might suggest.

But as just4kix and aakashr mentioned, you get more bang for the buck with the ST50 and also better PQ for movies at a cheaper price.

The choice can be narrowed to HX850 & ST50 - you can read more about both in the respective threads on this forum and also demo them and then decide. Diwali is sometime away so you can do the research and then ask specific queries here.

In case you want to know difference bw HX750/HX850, request you to refer to Sony India website.

Happy Hunting !

Thanx all for the valuable comments.. I have been reading the various posts in this regard here.. m really convinced that ST50 should be great enough for me..

But the issue is as swageo said.. there is simply no way you can get a demo of that one.. .. the pana shop at Vashi (palm beach) just opened has XT & UT (as per their ad).. need to wait some more time.. and have a personal demo before deciding.. yes, I have sometime in my hand to decide, and hopefully by that time (festive period) .. Sony & Pana may come with discount & other offers that might make it sweeter.. BTW, the rupee is gaining strength in the last few days.. it might also help these cos to reduce prices..

Anything in Samsung or LG worth looking.. their spec sheet always has more bells & whistles for similar models..

Frankly speaking.. Sony has more snob value than Pana or Samy or LG.. anyday... also I was never disappointed with any of my Sony products... Old Trinitron CRT, Compact stereo with 5 channel (dolby prologic system), my grey market LCD.. all have serviced me well.. (trinitron malfunctioned after 7/8 years, never bothered to repair it)..

Any SONY always shines for it's quality.. that's the reason I was also lookin for HX750/ HX850 as an option.. If you ask my better half.. she will say SONY, without even looking at the picture or model (such is the perception)... :)

^

Well then get the HX850 eyes closed. You will NOT regret it at all. The HX850 is one of the finest TVs Sony has ever produced and reminiscent of the old WEGA sets in that it offers a picture much ahead of what the LED competition has to offer :)

The HX750 doesn't have the monolithic design/Gorilla glass coating, has 400hz MotionFlow, poorer blacks, and overall PQ is a step backwards compared to HX850.

As for Samsung/LG don't bother. Their flagships compete with HX750, not HX850

Last edited:
I too agree that HX 850 is the better option. But if your are interested in Samsung also take a look at Es7500 which cost close to HX850.

regards

Avmax.. I agree the monolithic design of HX850 is mouthwatering ... but 20k addl for that.. need to think twice.. if it would have been around 1 lac.. means the diff with 750 10k.. choice would been definitely 46 HX 850..
Raagav.. the Samy ones I have not yet actively scouted (neither at showrooms or at internet boards).. but was wondering, if anyone has ever done this .. I can give it a try.. but frankly speaking if it like as avmax said.. then I would rather keep my choices limited to these 3 750/ 850 / ST50.. now let these Panny guys show me wat is ST50.. so far it is more like a virtual model being discussed, as u can't get to see a actual model..
BTW.. my viewing distnace is normally about 10-12 feet.. I hope 46/50 inch are good enough for enjoying the HD content.. the 32 inch one I have (HD ready) throws a great enough picture to me ... so a 46 is expected to be much better.. I am a plain lazy to scout for BD or similar .. even though I have Sony compact system that can play DVD for last 7/8 years.. I may have played not more than 15-20 movies in it.. too cumbersome for me.. it is always easy to switch on the Tatasky and enjoy whatever movies are available from 6/7 channels.. and occassionally hindi ones specially Sallu bhai ka WANTED type... ;)

By looking more you will confuse yourself. Both ST50 and HX850 are excellent. Samsung has some good midrange models. LG has nothing good anywhere near your requirements. Their passive 3D is the lone saving grace.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

You will not go wrong with 46hx850. I only wish it was not so costly. You can also get 50GT50 for the same price of 46HX850. The gt50 is even better than st50. Check its availability.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Thanx Shaiju.. :thumbsup: yeah I also agree.. so I will restrict to these three only.. ST50.. hmm I think even Pana guys are also not aware when it will be available widely.. anyway I have time for a final decision..
Also the Diwali offer/ discount.. I am banking on.. hopefully something interesting they may offer :licklips:

Thanx Shaiju.. :thumbsup: yeah I also agree.. so I will restrict to these three only.. ST50.. hmm I think even Pana guys are also not aware when it will be available widely.. anyway I have time for a final decision..
Also the Diwali offer/ discount.. I am banking on.. hopefully something interesting they may offer :licklips:

Don't count on festival offers. I have rarely seen or felt them. Huge ads in daily papers indicate mouthwatering schemes. On closer inspection, one finds that these ads are just a plot to get you in the showroom. The discounts are on mostly non-moving our old stock, and popular models are usually excluded.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Well Samsung 8000 series may have some of the exclusive features like gesture sensor or LG 9600 won CES 2012 award for its OLED 4 mm thin panel ,but all this wont lit candle to SONY HX 850 or 950 series , because its the only TV using Local Dimming and all the other are just using Frame dimming ,and an average user may find Samsung's have better colors but those are not realistic, so i recommend SONY HX 850 Series than 950 bcz both are almost same and you can save a money worth a dedicated home theater :)
Source(s):
My OWN Research bcz even i m planning to buy a LED TV , i have taken only three brands into account (SONY , SAMSUNG , LG ) :)

how is the sammy flagship 51e8000 plasma?even i am in waiting till diwali offers.was confused between pana st50 and sony hx850.had almost zeroed down on gx750 but after seeing the 850 next comparison...completely changed my mind.if its pana then the biggest advantage would be 3yrs warranty and picture quality but the negative would be current consumption and some people have mentioned the first 200 burn in hours and image retention whereas with sony or any led-no burn in and less power consumption.pana and sony both wont be able to play main format-mkv(bigger file size) as I had taken the demo.forum members pls suggest.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back