4k content for TV

ShaQ.Blogs

I was exploring the option of getting a 4K TV.

Which DTH providers give 4K content? How many channels are even 4K today?

I have TataSky HD. Browsing their website I could not find an option for 4K or UltraHD. I could not find an option to upgrade my box to it either.

I don't think there are many 4K DTH channels in India. Last I've seen Sony six in Tata Binge STB. I think it also has Star sports and some infotainment channels as 4K broadcasting. This was in 2019 but not sure if these channels are broadcasting in 4K still. Most probably OTT will be the future for 4K entertainment. DTH is almost gone and might be non existent in few years. Hold on to the TATA Sky HD for few years and invest in a good media player like Nvidea or Zidoo for 4K content.

I don't think there are many 4K DTH channels in India. Last I've seen Sony six in Tata Binge STB. I think it also has Star sports and some infotainment channels as 4K broadcasting. This was in 2019 but not sure if these channels are broadcasting in 4K still. Most probably OTT will be the future for 4K entertainment. DTH is almost gone and might be non existent in few years. Hold on to the TATA Sky HD for few years and invest in a good media player like Nvidea or Zidoo for 4K content.
Surprising... no DTH offers 4K TV content. Wow!
I called tatasky, they don't have 4K TV channels.

Does this means we will have to subscribe to numerous different online platforms. With Each platform having some content missing?

I do not know what is happening in this space.
What options do we have to watch 4K live sports...? Not upscaled 4K.

We have the FIBA world cup coming up.
I think some T20 stuff is also coming up.

I hope this is streamed at 4K and live!

Yes, no DTH offers 4 K content yet. Even no of Full HD channels they offer are also limited.

Amazon Prime & Netflix offers 4K contents , unfortunately no live contents from them yet.

Here is what I dug up so far...

Yes, no DTH offers 4 K content yet. Even no of Full HD channels they offer are also limited.

Amazon Prime & Netflix offers 4K contents , unfortunately no live contents from them yet.

Football world cup... I couldn't find much info yet

Football world cup... I couldn't find much info yet

Viacom18 has the rights for Football WC22
Let me ask on twitter if they are planning for a 4k broadcast.

Does this means we will have to subscribe to numerous different online platforms. With Each platform having some content missing?

I do not know what is happening in this space.
What options do we have to watch 4K live sports...? Not upscaled 4K.

We have the FIBA world cup coming up.
I think some T20 stuff is also coming up.

I hope this is streamed at 4K and live!
We are churning out more 4K TV's but there is not much 4K content especially in DTH category. UK has more sports channel like Sky sports/BT sports/Virgin TV which will broadcast the football world cup in 4K. Hopefully if the telecast rights is in 4K we may be able to watch it but still in India the 4K penetration very low and a great deal of bandwidth and money is needed to get any live feeds.

Well, just take that with a pinch of salt, the broadcast was supposed to happen a year back but never materialized. The IPL broadcast in hotstar was awful to watch even with a good broadband connection. A dedicated 4K channel for sports will take a long time as we need more 4K subscribers and definitely it will not be cheap to subscribe to those channels.

Well, just take that with a pinch of salt, the broadcast was supposed to happen a year back but never materialized. The IPL broadcast in hotstar was awful to watch even with a good broadband connection. A dedicated 4K channel for sports will take a long time as we need more 4K subscribers and definitely it will not be cheap to subscribe to those channels.
Its hilarious that manufacturers are selling 4K TVs and are able to sell, with this kind of an environment. The TV looks great in the showroom, with showroom 4K content 😂

Except for some of us who know how to get high but rate 4K content...others are buying something with a higher capability with not much to feed it

Totally concur with this. I'm 33 and most of my friends and I don't even have a DTH connection anymore. All of us have Netflix and Prime subscriptions though.

4k TVs will continue to sell because that's the trend currently. But don't worry too much about 4k content, good quality 1080p and 4k are really difficult to distinguish on normal TVs, unless you have a 65" TV and are sitting at 8' distance. For most people at least. So if you're getting good quality full HD content, you're not missing out on much.

Bluray content itself is okay with 1080 TV. (4K bluray discs and BR player costs a fortune). Even netflix hits only at about 4 mbps and so 1080p TVs can be good enough at a decent viewing distance. But 4k TVs are only an advantage if you have a network drive with pirated 4K bluray ripoffs. These days you will never find non 4k TVs though. Thats a different thing though.

Bluray content itself is okay with 1080 TV. (4K bluray discs and BR player costs a fortune). Even netflix hits only at about 4 mbps and so 1080p TVs can be good enough at a decent viewing distance. But 4k TVs are only an advantage if you have a network drive with pirated 4K bluray ripoffs. These days you will never find non 4k TVs though. Thats a different thing though.
This makes me wonder.. Should I let go of my 1080p panny plasma and get a 4K TV

This makes me wonder.. Should I let go of my 1080p panny plasma and get a 4K TV
On my Sony 4k HDR, bandwidth peaks at 15.25 Mbps for 4k content. I don't know how many can make out the difference between 4K and 1080P on a 65 inch TV sitting at 12 to 15 feet away but HDR and Dolby vision is certainly noticable.

I had a panny plasma earlier and my mom still uses one. Do I see a difference between the panny and my sony ? Yes. The Sony is better and um, bigger.

Nextflix video quality sucks sometimes. Example, Star Trek into the darkeness, too much patches on dark scenes, I thought it was my TV, then I downloaded full HD and it was day and light. Cancelled my Nextflix after this.

60% of the content we watch via 4K display is still going to be FHD.
How do you know this ? Any examples of 4k movies streaming in 1080p. On my Sony TV, it is quite easy to see the resolution that the TV is receiving with the info button and I have never seen 1080p resolution displayed on a 4K movie.

As far as a small 55 inch tv goes, there will be little to no difference between 1080p and 4k contents.
Where 4k has a lead is in HDR department. HDR does make a difference.
DTHs are supposed to have HLG support. As far as I know, no dth in India has HLG going on.
So, don’t sweat on the difference between 1080p and 4k. For dth hd service 1080p is more than enough if it is for non HDR contents.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back