5.1.2 speakers for Yamaha RX-V585

Sayantan

Hi everyone,
I got an Yamaha RX-V585 AV receiver. I want a decent 5.1.2 setup (usage- movie:music=50:50). Living room size is 10×24 feet with viewing area 10×12 feet (couch 12 feet away from tv, rear side of couch open). I am thinking about Dali Zensor 3/5 as front LR, Zensor Vokal as center, Spektor 1 as surrounds, Polk Audio OWM-3 as atmos and Polk PSW110 as sub.
Please help me out with the following:
1. According to my room what to choose for front LR: Zensor 3 or 5?
2. Will Spektor 1 as surround with Zensor LCR be a problem considering sound match?
3. Are sub and atmos choices correct with respect to Dali?
4. Dalis are rated 6 ohms but Polk OWMs are 8 ohms- will mixing different impedance speakers be a problem?
5. What cables should I use for connecting the speakers?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone,
I got an Yamaha RX-V585 AV receiver. I want a decent 5.1.2 setup (usage- movie:music=50:50). Living room size is 10×24 feet with viewing area 10×12 feet (couch 12 feet away from tv, rear side of couch open). I am thinking about Dali Zensor 3/5 as front LR, Zensor Vokal as center, Spektor 1 as surrounds, Polk Audio OWM-3 as atmos and Polk PSW110 as sub.
Please help me out with the following:
2. Will Spektor 1 as surround with Zensor LCR be a problem considering sound match?
4. Dalis are rated 6 ohms but Polk OWMs are 8 ohms- will mixing different impedance speakers be a problem?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to HFV.

Typically mixing different brands of speakers may not work for all, you may need to tweak settings accordingly for it to sound great! I use a mix of speakers at home on my Marantz and i had to tweak settings after audyssey setup to get the best which i am enjoying now with full satisfaction.

Responses / Views on your points:
1. Have you auditioned these speakers? If yes then you will know the difference. My moms place has the Z3 on stands and they sound good enough...a sub is not even used. Z5 will give you a little more punch and some more low frequencies. Its Bookshelf vs Floorstanders.
https://www.dali-speakers.com/compare/

2. There should not be any problem....it all depends on setup, placement and what content you would be using.

3. Depending on the frequency delivery of all speakers especially the fronts, you need to go for a sub which can deliver at least 10hz more lower....there are other subs in the market like BIC America, Taga, Yamaha ...please check the specs, size and performance...audition is imp...with respect to Atmos speakers, you can look at other options or in celing speakers or small satellite type which can be ceiling mounted....

4. The AVR auto setup will take care of impedance matters for each channel along with EQ and tonal adjustments...

5. Speaker cables (Oxygen Free Cables or OFC) is required. There are many brands out there...depending on the distance, you need to either use 14 AWG or 16 AWG thickness. Amazon and HifiMart sells speaker cables besides the other online portals....

You need to audition and hear different speakers, Dalis are very placement specific. Visit Profx and check the Polk RTiA series speakers also.....for sub Polk has the DSW 550 / 660 ..there are other subs also like the HTS 10 amd 12.....Dont buy a sub for the sake of buying one...ensure that it delivers the lowest frequency possible...closer to 20hz......

Please visit also other dealers, dont reveal your actual budget.....dont rush.....AVRs can be upgraded ...speakers will remain for more time and hence you need to be sure of the right ones which suit your expectations, performance, budget etc.

All the best...

Congrats @Sayantan for your purchase.
I also won a V585 and it's great.
Go slow with your speaker purchase as advice by efernand1, for sub BIC America, Taga, Yamaha are a better option then Polk PSW110.

Z1.. Per specs, Z3 does 3 Hz lower than Z1, which will be hard to differentiate by ear.. Consider Z1 as it would be lesser than Z3 price..

Since you will have a sub, you can overlook Z5..

Nope.. But, consider Z1 also for surrounds if it is not too expensive than Spektor1.. You may get a better deal..

Whichever speaker of Dali has mount threads, consider that for heights.. Else, Polk OWM3 is also fine..

For sub, you have plenty of choices..

Nope..

Most common speaker cables that you can afford in your budget..

Last edited:
Congrats!. You have a good AVR. I feel polk psw110 is the weakest link in that chain. I have heard and it was not really adding LFE needed for movies. Please consider a better Sub.

I have recently added JBL control 1 pair as surrounds in my setup and very happy. Well built small footprint wall mountable speakers. Can be considered for surrounds and atmos less than 8K/pair.

Have you auditioned these speakers? If yes then you will know the difference. My moms place has the Z3 on stands and they sound good enough...a sub is not even used. Z5 will give you a little more punch and some more low frequencies. Its Bookshelf vs Floorstanders.
Yes, I have auditioned Polk T50 and S50 5.1 package,Wharfedale ml200 LR, cambridge audio minx 12/22, sonodyne genie1 and 3155, Q acoustics 2050 5.1 package, dali LR of zensor 7, 5, 3 and spektor 6. Among these I found Dalis to be best in clarity. Now the problem is I have a wooden entertainment unit 6 feet long with tv 4 feet wide placed on it (cannot wall mount because of windows behind). This leaves a foot of space on each side of the tv where i need to place the speakers on the unit top. No space on floor for floor standers. If I place floorstanders on it, will there be a problem? Judging by size (width and height) zensor 5s seems most suitable since they are 20cm wide and 82cm tall while tv is 80cm tall. All other FS are 90cm or taller. Please advice. I am unable to attach pic, dont know why!!

Hi,

Its your choice to place floorstanders on top of the unit....imagine how will it look .....most would get the Bookshelf and place with rubber feet. With the amount of bass the Z3s emit, i can imagine what vibration and bass would come from the Z5.....

If you like the Dalis...go for it....

Speaker cables (Oxygen Free Cables or OFC) is required. There are many brands out there...depending on the distance, you need to either use 14 AWG or 16 AWG thickness. Amazon and HifiMart sells speaker cables besides the other online portals.
Most common speaker cables that you can afford in your
I am thinking of using amazon basics 14awg speaker wire. Will that be okay?
For LCR less than 5 feet wire each, and for surround/atmos 20-30 feet wiring (through casing) is required.

As space is an issue for you don't go with FS, settle with a good quality medium size BS. Save some amount and purchase a good quality Sub.
As your usage is 50:50 you need a quality Sub.
I have purchased amazon basics 16awg speaker wire, quality is good, 14awg even better. you can use it or you can purchase more expensive one.

I am thinking of using amazon basics 14awg speaker wire. Will that be okay?
For LCR less than 5 feet wire each, and for surround/atmos 20-30 feet wiring (through casing) is required.

14 AWG should suffice, check the ones within your budget.

Its your choice to place floorstanders on top of the unit....imagine how will it look .....most would get the Bookshelf and place with rubber feet. With the amount of bass the Z3s emit, i can imagine what vibration and bass would come from the Z5....
Right bro. Both zensor 3 and 5 come with rubber feet and i will definitely put those on. Zensor 3 has a single 7 inch driver and has a rear port while zensor 5 has two 5.25 inch drivers and a front port. Both have same tweeter. Considering my speaker would be placed almost in the corner with not more than 4-6 inch from rear and side walls, which would be a better choice? I am soooo confused. Please help.

Considering my speaker would be placed almost in the corner with not more than 4-6 inch from rear and side walls, which would be a better choice?

Here it is.

You can probably squeeze a smaller BS in that corner.. Bigger ones, i doubt if it can be placed firmly on the table..

Is there a possibility in your room to swap the TV unit, to the left side of the picture?.. This would give some space for speakers on either sides..

Right bro. Both zensor 3 and 5 come with rubber feet and i will definitely put those on. Zensor 3 has a single 7 inch driver and has a rear port while zensor 5 has two 5.25 inch drivers and a front port. Both have same tweeter. Considering my speaker would be placed almost in the corner with not more than 4-6 inch from rear and side walls, which would be a better choice? I am soooo confused. Please help.

Seen the pics you have shared, if the Z5 are as tall as the TV then it makes sense and solves your challenge.....some are decor conscious and would not want to have big speakers near the screen...if it is fine with you...go ahead....i kept about 6 inch space from wall for the Z3s which are at my moms place....

You can probably squeeze a smaller BS in that corner.. Bigger ones, i doubt if it can be placed firmly on the table..

Is there a possibility in your room to swap the TV unit, to the left side of the picture?.. This would give some space for speakers on either sides
The table is strong enough since it is custom made with wood. It is 18 inches deep though. So probably 6 inches space behind the bookshelf if I place along the front edge.
If I place the unit along the left wall, then the viewing distance will be 7 feet or less. Also, the right speaker will then fall in the corner where the left one would be now. :(

The table is strong enough since it is custom made with wood. It is 18 inches deep though. So probably 6 inches space behind the bookshelf if I place along the front edge.
If I place the unit along the left wall, then the viewing distance will be 7 feet or less. Also, the right speaker will then fall in the corner where the left one would be now. :(

Ok.. Then you don't have much options.. All you can do now in the present position is, keep the speakers on either sides to the TV, firmly on the unit..

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back