5.1 channel output from asus oplay mini

atomar76

I am a newbie. I have sony led tv (40Ex520), asus oplay mini and sony home theater.

i want to view movie from asus oplay mini with 5.1 channel surround sound. which all cables i will need and how to make connections.

Presently i am using HDMI cable to connect asus oplay mini and LED tv. should i use composite output from oplay mini to home theater OR any output from led tv to home theater is needed?

If your HT has optical input, then you need only an optical cable to connect the player and enjoy 5.1. If there is no optical input then use the RL out of the player to aux in of the HT. But this won't give true 5.1 surround.

i just bought that player today and it was awesome
i just want the same thing
which should i buy for 5.1 sound?
and which cable do i need?

5.1 audio is only possible with either HDMI or optical. You need to connect an optical cable from the Asus Oplay to the Sony HT. From the specs below it clearly says the Oplay Mini has HDMI and Optical.

Composite Video
Composite Audio L/R
S/PDIF Out (Optical)
HDMI 1.3

5.1 audio is only possible with either HDMI or optical. You need to connect an optical cable from the Asus Oplay to the Sony HT. From the specs below it clearly says the Oplay Mini has HDMI and Optical.

Composite Video
Composite Audio L/R
S/PDIF Out (Optical)
HDMI 1.3
i wanna buy speakers with an optical input, so i can connect asus oplay with it
or
can i use my tv output audio socket through cable in to any speakers? will they give good 5.1 sound? or not

please suggest me some cheap speakers

Hi Atomar76,
there a couple of ways to go around.

Asus o play supports HDMI and SPDIF ( optical ) outputs.
Sony KDL-40EX520 supports HDMI in but no HDMI out (?) but has digital audio out (what type ? - optical or coaxial ? )

TerminalsHDMI / Audio In 4 (1 Side/ 3 Rear)
USB 2.0 2 (Side)
Ethernet Connection 1 (Rear)
Composite Video Input(s) 2 (Rear/ 1 Hybrid)
Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Input(s) 1 (Rear/ Hybrid)
RF Connection Input(s) 1 (Rear)
HD15 PC Input / Audio 1 (Side)
Digital Audio Output(s) 1 (Rear)
Audio Out 1 (Side)
Headphone Out 1 (Side)

For better understanding kindly mention what different inputs/ouputs can your sony ht supports ( optical / coaxial / HDMI ).

Some ways to connect -

1 Asus oplay - HDMI - HT - HDMI - TV ( if HT supports HDMI in and out ports )

2 Asus oplay - HDMI - TV and Asus oplay - optical cable - HT ( condition HT supports optical in . Also for 5.1 you have to use raw data mode in Asus and HT decodes media to 5.1 PCM - the reason is that 5.1 PCM is not supported over optical but raw ( DTS / Dolby etc ) can be transfered)

3 Asus oplay -HDMI - TV - optical/coaxial/HDMI - HT ( check what digital out is provided by TV - optical / coaxial / HDMI )
If Your Sony HT supports HDMI in and out - use option 1.
If above is not true then you can have digital audio from either Asus or TV to your HT.

Kindly note that Optical or Coaxial digital cables can carry only 2.0 PCM only and no 3.1 or above . But can carry digital compressed data ( DTS / Dolby 5.1 ) - HT should be able to decode compressed file to 5.1 PCM.

I hope this clears some clouds ( or makes it more dark :) )

Last edited:
I think you should go for a player with 5.1 Analog out. That would give you the best sound out put. It is just available for 8000 with a 3.5" HDD bay.. Do have a look at it.

Attachments

• Trans Innovators Contact 9022687337.jpg
    Trans Innovators Contact 9022687337.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 146
I will test the product fully and soon post the review. The specs of this products seems very good in this price range. It is based on RTD 1283

Composite Video
Composite Audio L/R
S/PDIF Out (Optical)
HDMI 1.3

my tv does have 3.5 mm mini jack
but it dont have optical audio output
so i must buy speakers with optical input or i can go with any speakers with 3.5mm jack, which would be cheaper
please suggest me cheapest speakers with optical input

my tv does have 3.5 mm mini jack
but it dont have optical audio output
so i must buy speakers with optical input or i can go with any speakers with 3.5mm jack, which would be cheaper
please suggest me cheapest speakers with optical input

You can go with any speaker system with 3.5 mm jack but it won't give you 5.1 output. only 2.1

Logitech z906 is a 5.1 system and has optical in.... approx. 15k. if you want good sq.

Cheaper brands might have optical input too.

Last edited:
Sorry for posting here but was just checking if I can go for Asus Mini if primary purpose is to play FLAC or any audio stuff?

Asus Mini supports all audio file formats. I have played FLAC MP3 etc. Only prob is that DAC of Asus is poor. In my case I directly send PCM data to AVR . In this way DAC of AVR is used and thus SQ is improved.

Hello All
i m new here
Sir i buy Samsung D451 Series 4 with HT-350k and connected with optical cable. Now i buy Asus O Play mini , i need to connect Asus O Play with LCD but there is no optical for 5.1 sorround can u please help me out how i connect Asus O Play to give 5.1 sound.

Thanks

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back