5.1 for PC: Creative Gigaworks G500 vs. Logitech Z-5500

VISHNUMOTHIPATI

Hi

I would like to buy decent 5.1 speakers for my PC.

Budget 10-15k.

which one is best among Creative G500 & Logitech Z-5500.

Is Creative G500 available in the market?

Thanks in Advance.
Vishnu
Hyderabad.

Z5500 anyday....the other is an old and EOL product i think, and Creative is not very famous with their RMA periods taking months(source: Google)

Logitech is superb performing set- monstrous audio output but only with dedicated sound card analog output(aka Xonar DX and above ).Their optical output is lacking IMHO,but thats understandable from their position as a PC speaker set rather than HT stuff.They have one serious flaw though, the backlight of the control pod 'might' die out on u for no reasons at all, have seen a number of sets doing the same-some even coming live after several months,just as random as they died.

Bass is heavy, extremely boomy unless corrected for via good sound card software.... but after some personalization, it should provide some serious competition at the price point.Make sure u get from a dealer u are familiar with since that can help in a speedy RMA process in case u have to go for one, and make sure u get 2 year Manufacturer warranty.

Over and out.

creative giga works are expensive stuff.. but u can give a try..if you like.. still for 14k no match for logi.. as pc speakers.. they are still the king..

if you want something more for music .. try the edifier s-550.. sealed sub...

z-5500 is for 14k now..

you dint like logi for altec ??

thats personal.. you should have tried some bass heavy and dts tracks...

Well I have tried many tracks on it and I found bass was boomy and not tight, punchy. It's bass is all about BOOM BOOM, While watching movies it's center channel used to distort:eek:. It was not at all musical speaker and in movies center channel distort. So what has left in this speaker to like?

Z5500 anyday....the other is an old and EOL product i think, and Creative is not very famous with their RMA periods taking months(source: Google)

Logitech is superb performing set- monstrous audio output but only with dedicated sound card analog output(aka Xonar DX and above ).Their optical output is lacking IMHO,but thats understandable from their position as a PC speaker set rather than HT stuff.They have one serious flaw though, the backlight of the control pod 'might' die out on u for no reasons at all, have seen a number of sets doing the same-some even coming live after several months,just as random as they died.

Bass is heavy, extremely boomy unless corrected for via good sound card software.... but after some personalization, it should provide some serious competition at the price point.Make sure u get from a dealer u are familiar with since that can help in a speedy RMA process in case u have to go for one, and make sure u get 2 year Manufacturer warranty.

Over and out.
I am not sure what you mean by Logitech's optical is lacking? Logitech has optical, coaxial input with DTS decoding.

Well I have tried many tracks on it and I found bass was boomy and not tight, punchy. It's bass is all about BOOM BOOM, While watching movies it's center channel used to distort:eek:. It was not at all musical speaker and in movies center channel distort. So what has left in this speaker to like?
Thats your personal opinion. To be honest I have a full HT setup with Polk Audio monitors and sub with Pioneer AVR and Logitech Z5500. Unless you listen back to back, I am actually hard pressed the Z5500 perform so well. Yes the vocals are much better on Polk+Pioneer, but for all practical purposes Logitech fits the bill pretty well and considering the difference in price points... I say Logies make a terrific vfm at 14k. I bought mine years ago at 22k.

I am not sure what you mean by Logitech's optical is lacking? Logitech has optical, coaxial input with DTS decoding.

I didnt mean Z5500 was lacking Optical; but rather their Optical was lacking - in audio output both quality-wise and quantity-wise as compared to analog driven by a reputed sound card.In short, i think the DAC of the Z5500 loses heavily compared to that of a dedicated sound card.

pmed you buddy.. call me whenever you are free.. i have had logi for close to an year now and seen my friend using em since years and after i bought them .. another 4 of my friends picked it.....

yes it is not the best out in the masrket... coz there is nutin called as best in audio.. there is always a hope of doin better... a Ht worth 50lakh can also be not the best.. but at 14-14.5k ..it seriously gives a lot of trouble to my oknyo-3100.. and ..... and onkyo was 5k expensive.. has more RMS than logi.. sub is pathetic.. i can"t lift the logi sub..from one hand but i can do with the same of the onkyo.. and i bought em for 17k last feb..

even at 17k ... they are the best for the price range... and beats the hell outta..20-23k 5.1 or a HTib..

also i do accept that bass is a bit boomy and but its not that much hassle as described..

i am watchin movies via xtreamer everyday of size from 2.4GB-40GB.. with dts and dolby and it works like a charm.....

and sub does sound a lil boomy on analog.. try playing flac and wav files via optical and you will get to know it capacity..

also the most important factor is the source..

feed it what it demands and see the diff..

it outruns many competitors for same or a higher price point.. and if wud have been that bad.. logi is not fool enough to keep sellin it for years and people buy it over and over again..

thats my personal viewpoint...

i am using edifier s550 and after doing lots of comparison with z5500 choose the edifier. I personally like the sound of edifier , the logitech sounded a bit bright.Logitech a better when compared feature wise but a like z550 and i am happy with it.
If possible take a demo of both and decide and you can't go wrong both way , just pick the one that sounded you right.

FYI : Edifier now available for 14000/-

edifier s550 available for 14k ????? please check again.. guess its close to 19k last year it was for 24-26k.....

yes edifier has an seperate tweeter and wooden enclosure.. added advantage above logi..i agree but then at 10k extra.. it was not a deal...

and it does not have optical in. just analog.. so no DTS..

gigaworks anyday. why ?

Z5500 are great speakers but do you know what happens if the control pod gets a fault or decides to die on its own on the very 2nd week of use ?

secondly the sound signature of Z5500 is very harsh, very digitized , kinda it has a constant hiss to it...
It has all that decoders in it, which do omg work of what not DTS and stuff..but hey pushing that much circuitry into a single box creates lots of noise and emf, which in turn distort the sound..

I find the creative's sound signature much better than the z5500 as the plastics quality is better, the finish and trim is better, the subwoofer box is better and has lesser port noise (I hate grrrr grrr port noise) and is a nice and simple system too..

Source : Owning the 5500 and cousin has G500

edit : Instead of using the crappy processing capabilities of Z5500 one can get a decent xonar, xmod , or even a Sb Xi-fi sound card which will beat the crap out of this anyday..

Last edited:
edifier s550 available for 14k ????? please check again.. guess its close to 19k last year it was for 24-26k.....

yes edifier has an seperate tweeter and wooden enclosure.. added advantage above logi..i agree but then at 10k extra.. it was not a deal...

and it does not have optical in. just analog.. so no DTS..

i bought edifier s550 last year in july at 19000 ( MRP was 26000 on the box).
Now it is available at 14000 ( MRP on box is now 19000).

logitech sound is real harsh compared to edifier. take a demo of both products and judge .

@Ben10 - where can I get a demo of Edifier S550 (possibly in chennai, even if it other city plz mention)? And where did you buy Edifier S550 for 14K?

Back