5.1 Home theater needed for cousin : Budget 80k

iluvmusic

Hi everyone,
My cousin is shifting in a new flat and he wants to add a 5.1 HT system to his 55" 3D LED TV. He already has a bluray player. So, basically all he needs are amp and speakers.

The room is his living room of size 19' X 22'. The sitting position would be somewhere in the center of the room.
Usage: 90% movies 10% music
Budget is around 70-80k max.
I am from Ghaziabad and have already visited Bass n treble in Delhi.
I was inclined towards Wharfedale DX1 setup, as has already been suggested here. But, Danny there insisted that we will need floorstanders to cover such a large room. We auditioned Diamond series bookshelves and felt the output to be low as well.
So, for our budget he suggested Vardus 400 series. This is the final setup, along with the quoted prices, that we demoed and found upto our expectations:
Front: Wharfedale Vardus 400 : 26000
Center: Vardus Centre 2 : 9000
Surround: Wharfedale DFS 10 surround : 15000
Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW 125: 20000
Amp: Pioneer VSX 922 : 42900
Total: 112900
Discounted Price: 100000

Since, this is going way over-budget the only option seems to be to drop the subwoofer for now. Although, we would really love to have a sub. :sad:

Are there any other comparable or better options available under 80K including subwoofer?
What about the prices - good enough or there is some scope for further reduction?
How good is the Pioneer amp - is it worth the extra 10k over Denon 1713? Danny strongly recommended this amp. He also mentioned that its MCACC is much better than Denon's Audessey calibration.

Please guide, the system needs to be bought within a month.
If you suggest other equipment, please also mention where can I audition it in Delhi.

Thanks.:)

If you want tension free solution then see if you can get the pioneer sp-pk51fs. You'll need to get it imported from avenue sound but it should be the best bang for money. http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/23366-user-review-pioneer-sp-pk51fs-5-1-speakers.html

It's got excellent user reviews all around the web including a glowing cnet review and even the forum members here had nothing but praise for it in one of the Mumbai meets at avenuesound.

There is a new model (sp-pk52fs) too but availability seems to be of concern. Both of them should be in your budget.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

But, I doubt that the surround may not be sufficient for the large room (19'X22'). The room is also not closed, there is only half wall at the back, which leads to the dining area. Most of the reviewers here have room sizes much smaller.
Also, is it possible to audition them somewhere in Delhi? If not, how much better or worse would they compare against my above mentioned setup? On paper, the Vardus package looks much more powerful.

Please also comment on the price ... are the given prices good enough?

Hi everyone,
My cousin is shifting in a new flat and he wants to add a 5.1 HT system to his 55" 3D LED TV. He already has a bluray player. So, basically all he needs are amp and speakers.

The room is his living room of size 19' X 22'. The sitting position would be somewhere in the center of the room.
Usage: 90% movies 10% music
Budget is around 70-80k max.
I am from Ghaziabad and have already visited Bass n treble in Delhi.
I was inclined towards Wharfedale DX1 setup, as has already been suggested here. But, Danny there insisted that we will need floorstanders to cover such a large room. We auditioned Diamond series bookshelves and felt the output to be low as well.
So, for our budget he suggested Vardus 400 series. This is the final setup, along with the quoted prices, that we demoed and found upto our expectations:
Front: Wharfedale Vardus 400 : 26000
Center: Vardus Centre 2 : 9000
Surround: Wharfedale DFS 10 surround : 15000
Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW 125: 20000
Amp: Pioneer VSX 922 : 42900
Total: 112900
Discounted Price: 100000

Since, this is going way over-budget the only option seems to be to drop the subwoofer for now. Although, we would really love to have a sub. :sad:

Are there any other comparable or better options available under 80K including subwoofer?
What about the prices - good enough or there is some scope for further reduction?
How good is the Pioneer amp - is it worth the extra 10k over Denon 1713? Danny strongly recommended this amp. He also mentioned that its MCACC is much better than Denon's Audessey calibration.

Please guide, the system needs to be bought within a month.
If you suggest other equipment, please also mention where can I audition it in Delhi.

Thanks.:)

Try auditioning the Sonodyne Sonus range for approx the same price...They should have a listening room in delhi....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back