5.1 Home Theatre (Help choose between - Bose vs Dali vs Wharfedale vs maybe Polk)

dee_dee

Hi Audiophiles...

My first post! I've spent the last two days auditioning speakers in Mumbai (must've listened to Hotel California about 88 times!). The whole exercise is to talk my partner out of splurging for a Bose Lifestyle V 25 (1.9 lac)!

Need some help / opinions to take my final decision.

Facts:
Room Size: 20ft x 15ft
Listening distance from front speakers: 12 ft
Usage: 70% Movies: 30% Music
Budget: 1.0 to 1.5 lac, including AVR & 5.1 Speakers (Not a constraint)

Option 1 (Dali + Klipsch SW):
AVR: Denon 1912 (38.5k)
Front: Dali Concept 6 (39k)
Center: Dali Center (11.6k)
Rear: Dali Concept 1 (15.5k)
Sub: Klipsch SW 450 (23k) [Found the Dali SW to be super expensive at 41k]
Total: 1.28 lac

Option 2 (Polk):
Front: Polk RTI A3 (22k)
Center: Polk CSI A4 (14k)
Rear: TSI 100 (11k)
Sub: PSW 110 (13k)
Total: 1lac

Option 3 (Wharfs + Klipsch SW):
Front: Wharfdale 9.6 (35k)
Center: Wharfdale 9CS (11k)
Rear: Wharfdale 9DFS (11k)
Sub: Klipsch SW 450 (23k)
Total: 1.18 lac

Option 4: Anything else that you could suggest.

If you can share your views on the choice of Front, Center & Rear, it would be really helpful.
(More or less decided on the SW (Klipsch SW 450) & the AVR (Denon 1912).

Want to spend the money I save from not splurging on a Bose, on a bigger TV. :clapping:

Thanks,
Deepa

Last edited:
to begin with all i can say is a good choice by not buying bose.
i would prefer combo 3. wharfs are great fir music and movies and are very rich and warm in sound.

Dee-Dee,

You've made a really good decision by not going in for Bose , way overpriced, Bose knockoffs like Telome, sound way better. Bose acronym = "Buy Other Sound Equipment" :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

The Klipsch SW450 is pretty good, Another member based in Bombay infact auditioned it a couple of days ago and was pretty impressed
The Denon 1912 is a good product as well

The speaker setups you mentioned are all really good. You did say you heard all the setups with Hotel California.
Since your setup is based for movies 70% as you mentioned, why dont you audtion them again with a movie. it will help you decide.

All the speakers you mentioned have different sonic signatures. and trust your ears and home in on the one that sounds best to you. Some would say the Dali's are better or the polk's but again it boils down to your ear and what u find outstanding
Have a look at Paradgims monitor series, Klipsch Reference series as well . they are pretty good.

With the Wharf setup you mentioned look at the 9cm center as opposed to 9cs. I would personally choose that

Cheers
-F l a s h-

The Klipsch SW450 is pretty good, Another member based in Bombay infact auditioned it a couple of days ago and was pretty impressed
The Denon 1912 is a good product as well

Yes, I found the Klipsch SW450 really good... Are there any other better subwoofers at a similar price range?
Also, is Denon 1912 good enough for Dali Concept / Wharf 9.6, or should we look at Denon 2312?

All the speakers you mentioned have different sonic signatures. and trust your ears and home in on the one that sounds best to you. Some would say the Dali's are better or the polk's but again it boils down to your ear and what u find outstanding
Have a look at Paradgims monitor series, Klipsch Reference series as well . they are pretty good.

Will probably go listen to them again with a Movie DVD. There's actually no place where I can hear Dali & Wharf back to back, and I don't have the expertise to tell the difference. What do you think is a better "warm" speaker between Wharfs & Dali?

In the Klipsch Sw 450 price range
I would say Velodyne Impact 10 23k , Impact 12 32k
Klipsch Sw 110 / 112 dont know the exact prices the 110 is in the early 30k bracket
JBL ES250 ( not heard it personally but there are some pretty decent reviews plus it wireless and a 400w rms amp) i think it costs 35k

Dee-Dee ,

You dont need to be an expert :) trust your ears. They are both pretty damn good at their price point. The Wharf 9.6 is a better VFM product though. i would personally pick the Wharf. or if i had more money to burn i would pick a higher up model on the Dali

The Denon 1912 is pretty much ok to drive both. you dont need to step up to the 2312 to drive them
There are a couple of forum members who use the 1911/1912 to drive the Wharf 9.6 and are pretty much satisfied.
but if you want to make them sing and come into their element. you need to add a good power amp into the equation. and that is irrespective which AVR you buy
However we live in a world of mortals and money is hard to come by with that respect. the 1912 is pretty much ok

A point to note : the Dali 6 is front ported . so you would not need to leave a gap from speaker to rear wall . the wharf 9.5/9.6 is rear ported you will have to leave a gap from the rear wall if you want them to sound better.
If that is going to be a concern in your room . then pick the Dali .

- F l a s h -

Hey Deepa, the setups you mentioned sound impressive. Like Flash rightly mentioned take some video material and audition the setups once again from the point of view of movies as 70% of your usage will be movies.

I am looking to buying the Klipsch SW450 myself. I did audition them and was highly impressed with the outcome.l I have auditioned the velodyne series and was pretty impressed with them too. Could you let me know where did you get a quote of 23k for the Klipsch cause i've been getting quotes in the range of 26k.

Hi Audiophiles...

My first post! I've spent the last two days auditioning speakers in Mumbai (must've listened to Hotel California about 88 times!). The whole exercise is to talk my partner out of splurging for a Bose Lifestyle V 25 (1.9 lac)!

Facts:

Option 2 (Polk):

If you can share your views on the choice of Front, Center & Rear, it would be really helpful.

Want to spend the money I save from not splurging on a Bose, on a bigger TV. :clapping:

Thanks,
Deepa

I am looking to buying the Klipsch SW450 myself. I did audition them and was highly impressed with the outcome.l I have auditioned the velodyne series and was pretty impressed with them too. Could you let me know where did you get a quote of 23k for the Klipsch cause i've been getting quotes in the range of 26k.

This was at Viola at Link Road Andheri, taking into account a 7% discount; but I may be wrong on the exact price. This was from a bunch of price notes I had scribbled down during the auditions.

Polks and denon usually goes well with each other, when looking into your requirement, Polks would be a best choice, i've auditioned Polks with Denon, they sound great on movies with good punch, clear vocals and balanced highs, silk dome tweeter does a good job, when it comes to music it purely becomes subjective, IMO they sounded boomy and not tight, again its all up to your ears on how it want music to be heard, BOSE should be no where in picture against these brands.

Also make sure that you listen to a sample with lot of dialogue. The centre speaker will be doing 50% of the work (more if you're not into action movies) and it's important that dialogues come across as crisp and clear without the need for subtitles. Most people tend to give more importance to music and surround effects when choosing speakers than the dialogue samples so it also depends on what you want to watch / listen to most.

Yes, for sure. Will take a movie & a TV Show with me for the final round of auditions. One SFX loaded action & a regular Rom-com kind.

Bose is comfortably out of the picture. I don't feel like a rookie anymore! :)

Thanks,
Deepa

You can also audition this combo.

Paradigm monitor 7 (towers L&R)
Paradigm monitor CC190 (center)
Paradigm monitor ADP 190 (srrnds)
Klipsch SW or Velodyne Impact 12 (Sub)

PSB Image T5 (towers L&R)
PSB Image C5 (Center)
PSB Image S5 (Srrnds)
Klipsch SW or Velodyne impact 12(Sub)

For 70% movies usage, I suggest tower front speakers having two numbers of 6" or 6.5" or 7" drivers as it can easily reproduce the effects.

I recommend Surround and center channel from the same series for better surround effects in movies.

Polks and Denon are made for each other no doubt about that

Velodyne impact 12 is worth the money you spend though there are better subs

Adding Epos Epic 2 to the list given by Kittu :)

Hi Audiophiles...

Facts:

Option 2 (Polk):

Thanks,
Deepa[/QUOT

anything but BOSE!!!

Sorry that i m diverting little from the top...

I am new here and i know how to start a new post....

wanted to ask you dear frens somthing ....

have a budget of abt 40k...
looking for a home theatre for 15*20 feet room...
usage about 80% movies.....
please suggest....

Sorry that i m diverting little from the topic...

I am new here and i dont know how to start a new post....

wanted to ask you dear frens somthing ....

have a budget of abt 40k...
looking for a home theatre for 15*20 feet room...
usage about 80% movies.....
please suggest....

You can also audition this combo.

Paradigm monitor 7 (towers L&R)
Paradigm monitor CC190 (center)
Paradigm monitor ADP 190 (srrnds)
Klipsch SW or Velodyne Impact 12 (Sub)

PSB Image T5 (towers L&R)
PSB Image C5 (Center)
PSB Image S5 (Srrnds)
Klipsch SW or Velodyne impact 12(Sub)

I auditioned the PSB T5+C5 at Lakozy... it sounded good - but it's a bit out of my price range (whole set up comes to around 1.75 lac). Also, the store is a bit intimidating :D

Will check out the Paradigm range too.

For 70% movies usage, I suggest tower front speakers having two numbers of 6" or 6.5" or 7" drivers as it can easily reproduce the effects.

I recommend Surround and center channel from the same series for better surround effects in movies.

Thanks for the tip! Will consider Wharf 9CM (6.5") instead of 9CS (5") for the center too.

Planning to audition the Polk, Wharfs & Dali once again this weekend with all this info in mind.

I had an opportunity to recently audition a Mordaunt Short (MS) setup in a 5.1 using:
Aviano 6 front, Aviano 1 surrounds and another MS Center speaker. They were combined with a Velodyne Sub, and played off a Marantz Receiver. Including the receiver it was priced around Rs 1.5 Lakhs.

The sound was excellent, very clear, sharp and sounded great with music also. I know MS is not in your shortlist - but thought I'd share anyway.

Ok well I did audition the Klipsch in Viola but they refused to sell the Sub seperately as a stand alone and were trying to push it as a package along with the Klipsch FS. But yes thr Klipsch sounded great plus what I liked about them was that it is bottom firing therefore the driver is well protected from pokes by kids or even maids while cleaning the house.

This was at Viola at Link Road Andheri, taking into account a 7% discount; but I may be wrong on the exact price. This was from a bunch of price notes I had scribbled down during the auditions.

Ok well I did audition the Klipsch in Viola but they refused to sell the Sub seperately as a stand alone and were trying to push it as a package along with the Klipsch FS. But yes thr Klipsch sounded great plus what I liked about them was that it is bottom firing therefore the driver is well protected from pokes by kids or even maids while cleaning the house.

Checked today. They are selling it individually at 26000.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back