5.1 Speaker System.. need some inputs..

Rockfella

Hey all!
Need the following in my new "5.1 Speaker system"

1) HDMI IN on an active sub-woofer that has inbuilt DTS/Dolby decoder. (DTS HD-MA/Dolby True HD will be good but is not a prerequisite.
2) Enough power.. 100/150 W per channel. More the better.
3) Wired connections not wireless.
4) 5.1 speakers only not 7.2/9.1.8 etc
5) Don't need FM tuner/ARC/Bluetooth/USB/Alexa/audessy/blah blah.

The closest I found out was this one :

But this one is not 5.1 and is wireless.

The whole idea is to avoid buying a full fledged HTIB/AVR+speakers to avoid clutter on my desk + save money.
Usage ONLY Movies.

System will be connected to my HTPC using HDMI.

Last edited:
If it isn't 5.1 then you don't have any substitutes other than looking for these soundbars. In my opinion these virtual soundbars (wired or wireless) can never come close a decent 5.1 system powered by AVR.

The best shot you have is the below from JBL but its 50k+ hope you are ok with the budget

If it isn't 5.1 then you don't have any substitutes other than looking for these soundbars. In my opinion these virtual soundbars (wired or wireless) can never come close a decent 5.1 system powered by AVR.

The best shot you have is the below from JBL but its 50k+ hope you are ok with the budget

If even the wired versions can't come close then I will drop the idea +Won't spend 50k on this concept. Any suggestions on a good AVR + 5.1 Speakers? Good bang for buck.

Check the Yamaha line up...available at Vijay Sales / Croma / Reliance Digital and select Dealers....within 50k....or less....there are other brands and combos too

Always audition and make your decision as you are the ultimate user and listener....trust your ears....

Check the Yamaha line up...available at Vijay Sales / Croma / Reliance Digital and select Dealers....within 50k....or less....there are other brands and combos too

Always audition and make your decision as you are the ultimate user and listener....trust your ears....
Thanks.

I am leaning towards Denon and Marantz .. I read somewhere Denon is best for movies Marantz good for music... So much info out there .. this is good/bad etc

Onkyo is low quality ..

Thanks.

I am leaning towards Denon and Marantz .. I read somewhere Denon is best for movies Marantz good for music... So much info out there .. this is good/bad etc

Onkyo is low quality ..
These are all individual perceptions, please audition yourself. It all comes down to what 'you like' and what you can get in your budget. I am sure you had read through lot of earlier forum discussions, still most of them end with "Its all about what you like". Start auditioning and take your time during audition for you will be spending your money.

Hey all!
Need the following in my new "5.1 Speaker system"

1) HDMI IN on an active sub-woofer that has inbuilt DTS/Dolby decoder. (DTS HD-MA/Dolby True HD will be good but is not a prerequisite.
2) Enough power.. 100/150 W per channel. More the better.
3) Wired connections not wireless.
4) 5.1 speakers only not 7.2/9.1.8 etc
5) Don't need FM tuner/ARC/Bluetooth/USB/Alexa/audessy/blah blah.

The closest I found out was this one :

But this one is not 5.1 and is wireless.

The whole idea is to avoid buying a full fledged HTIB/AVR+speakers to avoid clutter on my desk + save money.
Usage ONLY Movies.

System will be connected to my HTPC using HDMI.

Sorry but I am not sure what is your requirement.

- You want a HT without a AVR+ Speaker combo?
- You don't want a Soundbar.

- So in effect you want a PC Speaker with HDMI input. Something like Logitech z906 with HDMI in?

- So in effect you want a PC Speaker with HDMI input. Something like Logitech z906 with HDMI in?

Yeah something like that. What I make out of his requirement is - he does not want a system that rightfully demands some space in front of his computer/PC. Apparently, as our AVR's are all boxy type, he was looking at other options.

However, this point 3) Wired connections not wireless contradicts below statement though :)

"The whole idea is to avoid buying a full fledged HTIB/AVR+speakers to avoid clutter on my desk + save money."

@Rockfella - Hope I got your needs right?

Hey Jagdeesh, I need wired speakers not wireless :) But that plan is out of the window now. I need it something that will make DTS/DOlby movies sound amazing. So a HTIB is what I have to buy now. I am looking at Yamaha and Onkyo entry level offerings. A friend has Onkyo HTS3300/3400 and I like it. Was wondering if Yamaha :
will sound at par or better than Onkyo

Yeah something like that. What I make out of his requirement is - he does not want a system that rightfully demands some space in front of his computer/PC. Apparently, as our AVR's are all boxy type, he was looking at other options.

However, this point 3) Wired connections not wireless contradicts below statement though :)

"The whole idea is to avoid buying a full fledged HTIB/AVR+speakers to avoid clutter on my desk + save money."

@Rockfella - Hope I got your needs right?
Sorry I was not clear. I have to get HTIB now. Entry level, DTS is a must + 4K support :)

Do look at one of old posts,

There might be new models since this is more than a year old.
Try to audition the models you looking for. I found it difficult to get audition for entry level models, in a decent setup. When I went for Yamaha audition reliance digital had it but they showed it with all speakers kept at front, always by playing some audio through Bluetooth. Also look out for pioneer HTIB's. I remember it sounded better than the Yamaha model I was looking for(in a good enough surround setup).

For 50k budget you can get a satisfying one, just be patient enough and audition.

I am so confused I am using my JBL PartyBox for movies as of now. I will demo Atmos as well. I wonder when DTS will come out with their 5.1.2 offerings! For now everything on hold.

Maybe you cam go for Denon x550 AVR and polk TL1600 speaker set.
Good for the price and good enough for movies.

Better choice would be marantz nr1608 (here you will get lots of connectivity and option to upgrade to atmos)

Maybe you cam go for Denon x550 AVR and polk TL1600 speaker set.
Good for the price and good enough for movies.

Better choice would be marantz nr1608 (here you will get lots of connectivity and option to upgrade to atmos)
NR1608 costs around 42k in hifimart so speaker + AVR won't fit his 50k budget.
Denon 550 is ok but still he won't be able to complete all 5.1 within 50k, with lowest sub costing around 20k, unless he is ok with scouting for used gears.

Since you are already firm on your decision on your purchase, my suggestion would be that you wait out and save some my money for better investment products. Start with 7 channel AVR and add on speakers and then subwoofer once you have necessary money. It is even fine if this will take on a year from now. Save some money, Do some research and demo and enjoy your system. I don't really know if you are new you to AVR and stuff but once you get settled for a basic system, you will soon find yourself with the need to buy better powerful products, this is called upgrade bug and when you reinvest again for the same products in less than 2 years, you will lose the value of money invested before on your first system. There is nothing wrong in getting better than a decent system. I didn't have anyone advising when I bought my first htib years ago.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back