5.1 speakers in budget under 50K

Aragorn

Hello folks:

I got an Onkyo NR-616 A/V receiver that supports upto 7.2 speaker configuration. However, I want to start off with a 5.1 speaker configuration and upgrade it later if required.

My budget is limited and I want a speaker setup within a budget of Rs. 50K. Further, I want speakers for living room that I can hang on the walls. The size is not a big constraint but floorstands are not possible. The room size is 15' x 20' and my usage scenario is 90% movies and 10% music. I have narrowed down my option to the following choices which are close to my budget and I need help from all of you in choosing the right one.
  1. Wharfedale DX-1 (around 60K)
  2. Wharfedale Moviestar 70+ (around 40K)
  3. Pioneer SP-PK21BS (around 35K)
  4. Boston Accoustic Soundware XS 5.1 (around 25K)
  5. Polk audio setup (2 x tsi200, 2 x tsi100, cs10, psw100) (around 50K)

I haven't been able to listen to all of them, but I have liked Wharfedale 70+ so far, as it is decently priced and sounds great. I like Pioneer as well, but I have been told that it is a little bright, while Wharfedale is warm. Since Onkyo A/V receivers are supposed to be extra bright, I should plug it with Wharfedale.

The Wharfedale dealer also recommended me 70+ over the DX-1, so I am even more tempted by it. What do you suggest?

PS: In case, any of you have some similar setup in Delhi and willing to let me demo it, it would be a great help!

Last edited:
50k is a pretty decent budget.

I think you better look for satellite setup if you like to hang them on to walls.

Paradigm Cinema
Deftech procinema 800
Energy take classic 5.1 (With your budget you can make it 5.2 with 2 subs)
Orb audio

If you like to go with bookshelf's as Spiro mentioned Dali zensor and Polk RTI A1 are a good match in your budget. But you need to raise more funds to add the sub.

In addition to the other FM suggestion, consider this setup if you can't stretch beyond 50K budget.....

Well actually there some good options for 5.1 setup for less than 50K.....

Consider Sonodyne Sonus range BS + Center + rear dipoles + Subwoofer will cost you approx 42K... You save 8K from your budget :eek:hyeah:

The above setup is a BS + subwoofer combo and will def be far better than any Sat + Subwoofer combo that you have mentioned...

Yet an other option, Sonodyne Genie 2 series Sat + Subwoofer combo.... Approx 45K......

From the saved money, you can actually complete the 7.1 set up.....:)

BTW who suggested TSI200 for surround speakers?

Last edited:
Since you already have an Onkyo AVR which is more on the bright side, you should look at warmer speakers to match like wharf, Mission, Mordaunt Short, etc........But always hear the system before you buy.

I too have 616. this is what i decided to buy.

Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 Floorstanding Loudspeaker (2nos) 29,000
Sonodyne Sonus R-ears V3 Rear Surround Loudspeaker(2nos) 13,600
Sonodyne Sonus C2401 V3 Centre Channel Loudspeaker(1no) 6,450
Sonodyne Roarr 108 Subwoofer (1no) 15,800

total 64850 - 10% = 58365

Let me know if you find better than this.

Thanks guys!

Spirivous, Dali Zensors look so good! But i do not want to cross my budget! (What is the point of having a budget if you cross it? ;-)

elengaos, karthik: I had never heard of Sonodyne before and I am not able to get many reviews of the company online. Any idea where I can audition them in Delhi NCR?

Kittu, I would prefer a bit larger speaker because I do not want to overpay for size. I would try and audition Energy Take Classic. I believe they are great ones too...

To be honest, after so much search and energy I am tilting towards Wharfedale Moviestar 70+..

elengaos, karthik: I had never heard of Sonodyne before and I am not able to get many reviews of the company online. Any idea where I can audition them in Delhi NCR?

Sonodyne is an Indian brand which has been in to existence for 40 yrs, juz like any international brand.... Strong roots in professional audio & home audio....

You will not be able to find any reviews for Sonodyne other than AV MAX review which they have put it on their website....Thatz an other reason why this brand is not so popular among indians itself.....

For the price they command, it is very hard for ANY Brand to beat them in price : performance ratio...

Am a proud owner of Sonodyne product..:clapping:

What is suggested by FM here are for your consideration....Try to audition as many systems as possible, take your time & then decide what suits you based on your budget...

i think jamo 426 hcs 5 speakers and jamo sub 200 would be good for the price,. 426 costs 26000 with dealers whereas same is available for 21000 with reliance digital. the fronts are towers. Sub 200 would be for around 15000. so for about 36K to 40K you would have complete 5.1. Decibels india is the distributor and u can check from theor website for showroom details.

During the demo of my Ht system I have found that Onkyo NR-616 and Energy RC Micro sound very good as a combo. You should try to audition it.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back