5.1 Speakers to go with Denon AVR X1200W

schumi2508

Hi Folks,

I am a newbie to this forum, so pardon me for my little or lack of knowledge.

First a little bit of history
Till about last year I was using a CRT at home. My parents are not much into electronics and hence they really did not care whether they watched an LED TV or a CRT. My efforts to push them to get a LED TV had gone in vain. We were using a regular STB. But then the world cup was about to begin. I somehow coaxed dad into buying me a 50inch LED.

Obviously the movement from watching a 29inch to 50inch was a phenomenal experience. Weekends became movie weekends. It was just great to watch HD movies on the large screen at home.

I had an old Pioneer DVD + 5.1 sound system which I continued. Sound from the STB was also regular stereo. However with the TV in place, the bug to create a proper HT bit me. Wondering what to replace first I thought first I needed to buy an AVR (realized its a mistake later) as I though I already had decent 5.1 speakers and I just needed to hook them up to a good sound receiver.

After extensive research on specs and costing, I bought the Demon AVR X1200W from Amazon Germany. The service was great and I got it cheaper than local even after adding freight and import duties. I was very happy thinking it would complete my HT dream.

I connected everything to come across my first barrier. The subwoofer I had was a passive one and the receiver needed an active one. So I had to look for a new receiver. Looked for the cost online it came to a minimum of Rs.10k. I thought why not just first try with the speakers.

So I connected everything only to realise I wasn't getting the punch and quality I was expecting. In fact it seemed worse than before with the Pioneer DVD system. That's when I read more and came across Posts which said better the receiver , better were the speakers reqd.

So now I am here again looking for a good set of 5.1 speakers preferably under 20-25k. Also I would like to know whether I should buy the complete 5.1 set or front, surround, center and subwoofer separately. Please recommend.

I am open to looking at used speakers in good conditions. If anyone knows any seller of same please let me know.

My current system is
50in FHD LED TV
Airtel DTH HD
Denon AVR X1200W
XBOX 360
Pioneer DVD System DV131- Speakers are rated 60W 6ohm
My room is 20ft X 11ft

With your budget it is better to buy front speakers first. Later add center channel, surrounds n subwoofer.
Based on your room size decide if you need smaller bookshelf speakers or larger floorstanders. You can try speakers from wharfedale, Polk, jamo etc

Hi

I am also looking at the same receiver & adding speakers.

I am looking at JBL cinema 300/510. You may also check them out.

What i've heard is that they have very good sound & bass.

How much did you pay for the receiver? I am getting it for Rs 42000.

Ankit

Hi

Ankit

Hi

Good Speakers will definitely cost more and so if you want to be within budget, would suggest you look at the Sale by Owner section or HiFi Ads or OLX....there are some real good speakers up for sale by owners along with warranty.....there are many brands available in the market....what is important is the performance and ofcourse the warranty....

5.1 American Muscle Speakers to Vibrate the Place! - HiFiADS.com

These look tempting but would be out of your budget.....similarly you can check other options...remember, the speakers you put for the AVR need to be good to enjoy a good performance....all the best

Hi

Ankit
42000 is a real good deal for this receiver dear. I bought this receiver in Chandigarh for Rs 45000 around twenty days back. I have connected these to JBL Studio series 2 model number 280 speakers. Sounds great !!

42000 is a real good deal for this receiver dear. I bought this receiver in Chandigarh for Rs 45000 around twenty days back. I have connected these to JBL Studio series 2 model number 280 speakers. Sounds great !!
* I have connected this receiver to.....

Hang on buddy... You did great.. Almost half way thru...

You already have the Pioneer 5.0 speakers.. So re-use them for now.. All you need now is an Active subwoofer alone and not an entire 5.1 system...

After you get an active subwoofer system, run the Audyssey auto calibration in your AVR... You will get what you have been missing now...

Don't buy a 5.1 speaker package for 25K...

Hang on buddy... You did great.. Almost half way thru...

You already have the Pioneer 5.0 speakers.. So re-use them for now.. All you need now is an Active subwoofer alone and not an entire 5.1 system...

After you get an active subwoofer system, run the Audyssey auto calibration in your AVR... You will get what you have been missing now...

Don't buy a 5.1 speaker package for 25K...

I agree with him. Just buy an active sub & ur system is complete. Still u want to buy new speaker system (5.1), you may consider I recently bought. ~40k

Increase your budget by 5k, get a decent pair of bookshelves first. I believe you won't regret that decision even after 5 years.

For sub, get it built with professional help. If you spend around 10k for that it might be equivalent to 20-25k worth branded sub. Just for reference.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I guess I will go step by step as some of you mentioned. First I am gonna check how it sounds after adding an active sub and recalibrating Audyssey. I will just borrow a friends sub for this experiment. If all goes well can just buy the additional sub. If not then may be will go speaker by speaker.

Although I was wondering how the satellite systems by BA, JBL - both within 22k sound. Good to know that some of you have used them with X1200W and they sound good.

Regarding the AVR, I got it for INR35500 all inclusive delivered at home. It has the Indian specs(230V). The flipside is there's no local warranty.

PS: Haven't quoted you folks individually. Some issues with phone. Apologies

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back