5.1 system - need recommendations (KEF/Polk/Elac)

srinis.k

Friends,

Just now subscribed to this forum and am pretty new to AV world, looking out for options for last 2 weeks. Experts, need guidance please !

Chennai. Dedicated room (11 feet wide and 21 feet length) in individual home.

Requirements :

Looking to setup a 5.1 home theatre system, but buy receivers and projectors future ready. For receivers, ATMOS ability, 4k pass through required. Projectors 3D is optional if 3D projector is very expensive.

I have experienced KEF and Polk speaker system so far. I liked the KEF better out of these two. I was recommended following two options.

Polk (TSX 330, TSX 150c, OWM3, PSW110) + Denon AVRX 1300 + EH-TW 6700 EPSON projector

KEF (Q500, Q200C, OWM3, Q400b ) + Denon AVRX 1300 + EH-TW 6700 EPSON projector

I have following questions

0) could you use KEF speakers with polk subwoofer (PSW110) to save some cost

1) Planning to check Elac speaker system as well. Would that work better than KEF ?

2) Read Dali Zensor7 is good but AFAIK no vendor in chennai dealing Dali. If I am wrong, please provide contact

3) Projector seems very expensive, could i go with BenQ options, if so please suggest models

4) I would be visiting to Singapore, any reliable shops there to buy projectors. Thinking to save some money :)

appreciate your inputs

Thanks, Srini

Welcome to the forum. Don't just buy on showroom guys words and showroom demos/audition. Try to visit some actual home installations and take a call.

Cause your speakers are going to be with you for ever and in my opinion all the the brands you have mentioned are kind of forward sounding speakers so your room being 11 x 22 is pretty narrow so the sound might become too lean and would push you to have bigger sub.

Don't go for 3D it's waste of money. Sincerely to say 99% of the people don't use this 3D and no more movies are coming in 3D.

Thanks,

Balagopalan

Welcome to the forum. Don't just buy on showroom guys words and showroom demos/audition. Try to visit some actual home installations and take a call.

Cause your speakers are going to be with you for ever and in my opinion all the the brands you have mentiond are kind of forward sounding streakers so your room being 11 x 22 is pretty narrow so the sound might become too lean and would push you to have bigger sub. Bigger sub means more problems of controlling the boom.

Don't go for 3D it's waste of money. Sincerely to say 99% of the people don't use this 3D and no more movies are coming in 3D.

Thanks,

Balagopalan

Welcome to the Forum Srini ! You have a good size room for a home theater. I have the Denon + Polk combo and I like it very much for my small 11 by 13 room.

Denon 1200 + Polk TSI300, TSX150c, Denon HTiB satellites and PSW110. For me I feel this is more than enough.

KEF is more expensive, you can also try ELAC or Dali at Cressida AV Zone in Thiruvanmiyur. Be sure to bargain for the right price.

If you buy speakers, buy them all with same brand as it will match the sound signature. You dont want the speaker over powering each other or fading away in the group.

Projector you can consider EPSON 5350 also or Benq model (within 75k range). 3D is absolute waste.

Whatever you buy, buy them here at India with proper dealers for any warranty or service. Otherwise you may have to risk it and generally not so easy to take risk for such high end electronics which deals in high current/power

If budget is not an issue go for KEF Q series and also I have used PSW110 with KEF Q series speakers.I am not much impressed on that combo,actually no need a basic sub for this speakers.You have a dedicated room fot HT so please be patience on selection,3D is an optional only but not necessary.I have also 3D option in my TV,BD Player,AVR but not more than used 4-5 times in last 6 months.Polk RTI series better than TSX and mostly for movies only.

You have not mentioned the budget. But even if budget is an issue, I would suggest to keep away from polk psw110. Better to go for dedicated subwoofer company like svs, velodyne, sunfire, etc. In Chennai all of them should be available.

For dedicated HT, good subwoofer is a must. If you can't afford it now, build a 5.0 for now and get a good subwoofer after few months.

Sonodyne roarr 1210 can be a good budget HT subwoofer, if you want everything in one go

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Thanks for valuable inputs so far, appreciate it.

Budget is between 3 and 3.5 Lakhs for all the electronics.

Any idea where could I experience Dali Zensor in Chennai ?

Had a demo of Elac, it sounded more with Bass whereas KEF was with more clarity,thats my observation so far !

Thanks
Srini

Can you please give me a suggestion for 5.1 hometheatre system under 25k,just to watch English movies channels on Tv,since my tv supports dolby and the audio is already awesome,I want to have a theatre effect while watching movies.I already have a onkyo which will no longer be useful since there is no HDMI and my Tv would not support one without HDMI.
Read that sony systems support HDMI only with a sony tv,mine is not.
So which one with blootooth and a clear audio?

Thanks for valuable inputs so far, appreciate it.

Any idea where could I experience Dali Zensor in Chennai ?

Had a demo of Elac, it sounded more with Bass whereas KEF was with more clarity,thats my observation so far !

Thanks
Srini
According to Dali website, Grand cinema and vipul audio are dealers in Chennai.

Based on your budget, you should definitely set aside 50k for subwoofer. That can take care of a good sub.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Can you please give me a suggestion for 5.1 hometheatre system under 25k,just to watch English movies channels on Tv,since my tv supports dolby and the audio is already awesome,I want to have a theatre effect while watching movies.I already have a onkyo which will no longer be useful since there is no HDMI and my Tv would not support one without HDMI.
Read that sony systems support HDMI only with a sony tv,mine is not.
So which one with blootooth and a clear audio?
Best if you started a thread of your own.

Since you are in Chennai, do visit AV Lounge in Kilpauk. My friend bought a MJ Acoustic package from them and is extremely happy. I got a chance to see and experience his setup last week and was blown by what he had achieved with such a modest budget which is pretty close to yours. In my opinion music and HT requirements are completely different and main stream music speaker manufacturers don't get the HT right. Brands like M&K and MJ are designed for HT and the results show. Do check out the MJ Range before you write the cheque

Completely agree with Bala that 3D is a waste of money. If an equipment supports 3D by default go for it but if what u like does not have 3D it's not a big compromise

Factor in speaker cables, power systems and projector screen as well while budgeting to avoid surprises at the end. Ideally a fixed frame screen is good for a dedicated room, but they are pricey depending on the quality. I have the exact room size and I went for a 110", but already feeling that i should have bought a 135" for my 11 ft wide wall even before installing.

Factor in speaker cables, power systems and projector screen as well while budgeting to avoid surprises at the end. Ideally a fixed frame screen is good for a dedicated room, but they are pricey depending on the quality. I have the exact room size and I went for a 110", but already feeling that i should have bought a 135" for my 11 ft wide wall even before installing.
What's your viewing distance?

Your room size is on bigger size so you need a little powerful amplifier . Instead of going for entry level components at one time start with Projector,Receiver and five speakers and add Subwoofer later on as budget permit. Most of the speakers available in market perform well , it all the way depends upon your test, which kind of sound signature you like. First check that by auditions of different speakers combo and decide. At least spend a month or more in audition phase and try as many components as you can . You will automatically come to know what you like and want.

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk

Since you are in Chennai, do visit AV Lounge in Kilpauk. My friend bought a MJ Acoustic package from them and is extremely happy. I got a chance to see and experience his setup last week and was blown by what he had achieved with such a modest budget which is pretty close to yours. In my opinion music and HT requirements are completely different and main stream music speaker manufacturers don't get the HT right. Brands like M&K and MJ are designed for HT and the results show. Do check out the MJ Range before you write the cheque

+1 to that. I recently visited them and was bowled over by the MJ Acoustic HT setup. You must visit them before deciding.

Thanks
Srini

Thats a very good budget..

Dedicated room (11 feet wide and 21 feet length) in individual home.

Requirements :

Looking to setup a 5.1 home theatre system, but buy receivers and projectors future ready. For receivers, ATMOS ability, 4k pass through required. Projectors 3D is optional if 3D projector is very expensive.

Polk (TSX 330, TSX 150c, OWM3, PSW110) + Denon AVRX 1300 + EH-TW 6700 EPSON projector

KEF (Q500, Q200C, OWM3, Q400b ) + Denon AVRX 1300 + EH-TW 6700 EPSON projector

Thanks, Srini

With such a good budget, consider Denon x3300/Marantz SR 6011 at-least..

Marantz SR 6011 is a 9.2 AVR with 11.2 capable.. So a 7.2.4 Atmos/ Dts X layout is very much possible in your room size..

Also consider getting dual sub's in place of a FS as they would be better than a FS any day..

4) I would be visiting to Singapore, any reliable shops there to buy projectors. Thinking to save some money :)

If you really like to save money, look at grey market.. You can save substantially.

Thanks to all for your valuable inputs.

I listened to Dali Zensor 7 and liked its clarity and sharpness, will go with the combo of DALI Zensor 7 / Vokal / Zensor 1 / Sub E 12F + Denon X2300W.

Hope Denon + Dali goes together well

I am also thinking to go with Benq W 1090 projector. Could I stick with the wall for projection instead of going for fixed screen ? If it is wall, I could repaint frequently to keep it neat. Please suggest.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back