60"+ no frills (no 3d, smart features) 1080p TV

nSinghal

Hello fellow FMs. I'm looking for a LCD/led/plasma tv with decent PQ (doesn't need to be hx925 or vt50 level, just about average will suffice) without needing to pay for features i'll never use like 3d, smart apps, wifi or even usb. Room size is 25x16. Had intended to get samsung 51e8000 as it had very good reviews and was available for a reasonable price too (~1L). Unfortunately that's been discontinued and no longer available. Also, a 51" TV would've looked puny in the room.

So now the plan is to get the biggest screen with decent enough PQ I can find. Looking at amazon USA, there are decent 2d only 60-65 TVs from toshiba and other brands available for less 60-80k INR. Importing these behemoths from us or hk/SG though won't be practical and ill end paying a ton for shipping and customs and still have zero warranty. Unfortunately the only ones I found (online) in India are some lg plasmas with really bad reviews online.

Any idea if I can find the toshiba (or similar brand) 60+ inch tv in India for a decent price (1-1.5L max)? Don't mind even if the model is a couple of years old as long as its a new piece and with warranty. Or should I try my luck at grey market like gaffar?

Last edited:
An option for you -- if you can extend your budget a bit-- is to go with a Projector and Screen. For a room Size of 25 by 16 - a 120 inch screen would be ideal-- provided you can control the light

Importing flat screen big tvs from abroad is not recommended for transit damage risk and of course warranty. Add to that the shipping charges it will be almost same price as the Indian one unless someone is carrying it back as a personal item.

If you do not like LG then in 1 - 1.5L recommend buying a projector instead. If TV is what you are looking only and that too not at 60- size (50 / 55 inches) better increase ur budget

Forgot to mention, I already got the PJ for the room (epson tw8100). That's also one the reasons I don't want to spend too much on TV and don't need 3d (much better on the 133" screen :D)

Quote: Rs 90,756.00
Item price + local shipping + taxes RS. 54,945.00
Int'l Shipping RS. 18,150.00
Duty, Taxes & fees RS. 17,661.30

TOTAL RS. 90,756.00

Here is the quote from ishopinternational
25% shipping discount valid only till tomorrow

Last edited:
Here is the quote from ishopinternational
25% shipping discount valid only till tomorrow

That's too good a deal. Almost perfect for me. Does vizio have any presence in India? Servie center atleast? I understand there will be no warranty applicable here but if I can't even get the tv fixed (in case something goes wrong), its not going to be wort mporting at all :eek:

90K for something at no warranty is a bit risky for me considering flat panels sometimes behaves weird even in factory condition in unfortunate curcumstances. Although OP can take the final take.

AFAIK, Vizio has no presence or services in India. I will also strongly recommend against importing and especially American TVs with all the hassle of 110V/60 Hz, NTSC, etc.

Any TV sold in India in large format size is bound to have all the frills like 3D, Smart TV apps, etc.

That's too good a deal. Almost perfect for me. Does vizio have any presence in India? Servie center atleast? I understand there will be no warranty applicable here but if I can't even get the tv fixed (in case something goes wrong), its not going to be wort mporting at all :eek:

Most service centers will be able to repair these(I enquired in Samsung service center during my research),only issue will be parts availability,they too can be imported from the states(easily available online).If you still cant get it repaired,you can still send it back to the states by sea(shipping will cost you 3K only)and get it repaired there.
NTSC/PAL issue is non existant when the source is HD STB connected via HDMI

Risk is something which will always be there but for deal like this, taking a risk is worth it accordong to me.
Vizio is a very popular brand in the states.You can also check customer reviews for reliability of this product.LEDs usually last many years,I have a Sony 32incher bought 6 years back,never faced any problem with it.
I seriously considered importing this one for myself but I was smitten by plasma's deep blacks, so I ended up getting a Samsung 64E8000(costs the same in India and US if you factor in the freebies)

Last edited:
(shipping will cost you 3K only)and get it repaired there.
)

Are you sure WITHIN INDIA I got quote of RS 90 / KG for surface shipping and Rs 150/ Kg for air ......

So Rs 3000 for all shippping to us?? Cool..

also what a bout custom formalities while bringing it back??

Are you sure WITHIN INDIA I got quote of RS 90 / KG for surface shipping and Rs 150/ Kg for air ......

So Rs 3000 for all shippping to us?? Cool..

also what a bout custom formalities while bringing it back??

That was from Chennai port shipped a few years back for 15kgs I guess.
as far as I remember,an Indian company would take it to a port in the US and from there USPS takes over and delivers it to the address.
Costs might have increased now, but it should not be more than 5K.
You should check with dedicated freight carriers not the ones like DTDC or bluedart
If you mark the item as replaced under warranty,customs will not be charged.It will be done by the manufacturer.
But in all, the possibility of something going bad is very remote for modern LED TVs. Plasmas are a different ball game though.

As suggested by @manzb above you can also look for professional displays used for offices from Sharp,Mitsubishi or Hitachi.
They lack any of the smart features or 3D and they only have a few ports but they have very good picture quality.You may find one in your budget.

Last edited:
Most service centers will be able to repair these(I enquired in Samsung service center during my research),only issue will be parts availability,they too can be imported from the states(easily available online).If you still cant get it repaired,you can still send it back to the states by sea(shipping will cost you 3K only)and get it repaired there.
NTSC/PAL issue is non existant when the source is HD STB connected via HDMI

Risk is something which will always be there but for deal like this, taking a risk is worth it accordong to me.
Vizio is a very popular brand in the states.You can also check customer reviews for reliability of this product.LEDs usually last many years,I have a Sony 32incher bought 6 years back,never faced any problem with it.
I seriously considered importing this one for myself but I was smitten by plasma's deep blacks, so I ended up getting a Samsung 64E8000(costs the same in India and US if you factor in the freebies)
My dear Sir, this looks like a positive dexterity on your side. If you were in OP's place and succeed, I will raise my hats to you. Regardless of that, you will end up paying an arm and a leg for repairs. Equipment are no longer sturdy and long lasting as they used to be. No one wants them to be that way else invertory turns churn south.

Further, if you think that NTSC/PAL is a non-issue with or without HDMI then I congratulate you.

My dear Sir, this looks like a positive dexterity on your side. If you were in OP's place and succeed, I will raise my hats to you. Regardless of that, you will end up paying an arm and a leg for repairs. Equipment are no longer sturdy and long lasting as they used to be. No one wants them to be that way else invertory turns churn south.

Further, if you think that NTSC/PAL is a non-issue with or without HDMI then I congratulate you.

hey,that's just my 2 cents...
I actually meant that most HD capable sources come with PAL/NTSC selection
My HD STB from Big TV has an option to select signal between PAL/NTSC

Last edited:
hey,that's just my 2 cents...
I actually meant that most HD capable sources come with PAL/NTSC selection
My HD STB from Big TV has an option to select signal between PAL/NTSC

I am sorry. I realize that I came out too strong. Most STB's don't have the PAL or NTSC option. The hassles of repair are too great, let me assure you. My LG crt 29" was lying in repair shop for almost a year because even though it was purchased in India, it wad a CKD piece and a critical part, the HT was not available in India.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Sharp 60LE630M

I am posting the link of ezoneonline, where the price quoted is 1.28 lacs

Sharp 60LE630M |Buy Sharp 60LE630M TV's, LCD TV, LED TV, Plasma TV | ezoneonline.in

Hope it will help you. I have seen the TV in display at Reliance Digital in the Home theatre experience zone, it is really big and PQ is good enough, though I can't say anything more as I was interested in other models.

Awesome. Thanks a lot :)

How much did you pay for the 64E8000 btw?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back