65" LG OLED vs Sony OLED

prateekatasniya

My uncle is planning to buy 65" OLED.
Based on rtings review I'm inclined towards Sony. Am i right ?

My other questions.
Final prices of both in Hyderabad?
Is Sony worth the extra money?
Which brand has better service?

My other questions.
Both good televisions and definitely Sony is worth the money for its class leading picture quality. LG has better service in Oled Tv’s for sure. LG even replaces Oled panels for burn in post warranty period.

My other questions.
I went out with my heart set on Sony (was never ever a fan of any Korean stuff) but after side by side comparison settled with LG CX.

Sony A8H was slightly better in motion processing especially in panning scenes and shadow detail. However the difference was very minimal with a bit of manual calibration so I didn’t feel Sony was worth the 70k premium (Dec 2020).

LG was already excellent but if one doesn’t mind the premium one can go for Sony and get the last 5% refinement.

PS: my experience is with 2020 models only.

Video aspects are personal preferences. LG works out cheaper. Sony procures OLEDs from LG. Sony uses superior AI based image enhancement than other brands to make everything look superficial. If u compare LG vs Sony Vs Samsung of similar price range - Sony always looks better.

If u take a video of a clip which you have also observed the with your eyes and compare the video on the different brand TVs, LG , Samsung look much realistic than the superficial colours produced on Sony TV. Comparision of images is only before buying, but once we buy any TV, we grow to like the image and picture quality. Otherwise there is not much difference.

ATAS!
If uncle can wait, 2022 is really tasty in terms of spread across the offerings from the biggies...
And this bad boy is right now my favourite for the near future:

Video aspects are personal preferences. LG works out cheaper. Sony procures OLEDs from LG. Sony uses superior AI based image enhancement than other brands to make everything look superficial. If u compare LG vs Sony Vs Samsung of similar price range - Sony always looks better.

If u take a video of a clip which you have also observed the with your eyes and compare the video on the different brand TVs, LG , Samsung look much realistic than the superficial colours produced on Sony TV. Comparision of images is only before buying, but once we buy any TV, we grow to like the image and picture quality. Otherwise there is not much difference.
What do you mean by 'superficial'?

4k:4k mapping is a toss between the tvs. But upscaling 2k content and below, sony engines are anyday better. This upscaling is what sony is famous for and helps wins titles and praises from caliberators time and again. They do it so religiously so as to keep market share since they dont even produce panels anymore.

Making less ideal content <2k non HDR contents sharp, colorful and without artifacts in 4k pixels is an algorithm and business secret that is implemented by all companies. Sony tend to do it better is the general consensus. There is nothing superficial about it.

4k:4k mapping is a toss between the tvs. But upscaling 2k content and below, sony engines are anyday better. This upscaling is what sony is famous for and helps wins titles and praises from caliberators time and again. They do it so religiously so as to keep market share since they dont even produce panels anymore.

Making less ideal content <2k non HDR contents sharp, colorful and without artifacts in 4k pixels is an algorithm and business secret that is implemented by all companies. Sony tend to do it better is the general consensus. There is nothing superficial about it.
Image quality is good, but far from natural rendering. All brands do use image enhancement sw.

Take a video of what you see and play it on video on the TV, you can make out how realistic the image is. It's a personal preference, many prefer processed image quality over natural

@prateekatasniya I’m using LG C9 for the past 2 years and I’m extremely happy with it. PQ was very close between the A8 (I believe) back then when compared with the C9.
I can’t stress enough on the convenience of the WebOS on LG TV. Its very convenient to use and has all the required apps you need.

@prateekatasniya I’m using LG C9 for the past 2 years and I’m extremely happy with it. PQ was very close between the A8 (I believe) back then when compared with the C9.
I can’t stress enough on the convenience of the WebOS on LG TV. Its very convenient to use and has all the required apps you need.
Different strokes for different folks i suppose :) . I absolutely hate the WebOS. While i don't find it to be counter intuitive, it's not exactly intuitive either. And the lag from pressing the remote to anything happening on the TV is just a smidge too long. I've tried the C8 and strangely enough, its menu response times were considerably faster than the G1 but then again, it did use an older version of WebOS.

Compared to WebOS, Android TV on the Sets that I've used it on has always been straight forward, no matter the unique variations/features the TV manufacturer implements on their device (could also be because Android TV is familiar to Android phone users).

Another bugbear is the annoying magic remote cursor which appears on screen if you happen to wave the magic remote such as while walking around the room. Small niggles but add up to be one big annoyance.

Last edited:
Different strokes for different folks i suppose :) . I absolutely hate the WebOS. While i don't find it to be counter intuitive, it's not exactly intuitive either. And the lag from pressing the remote to anything happening on the TV is just a smidge too long. I've tried the C8 and strangely enough, its menu response times were considerably faster than the G1 but then again, it did use a spartan version of WebOS.
It’s cause webOS has changed in the latest Tv’s. Haven’t used the latest tv’s yet but looking at YouTube reviews and user feedback I feel LG has overdone the UI. WebOS in c9 and below is simple and so comfortable to use. For me the more simple the UI looks the better I like it

Depends on what models you are planning to buy. LG has its flagship G1 OLED with the evo panel available in India while Sony only has the lower end A80 series with non evo panels. The biggest difference between the two is the brightness. In a side by side comparison of HDR images, the LG will always win due to higher HDR brightness.

If the A90 was available, my recommendation would have been different. However for what it available, G1 is the best TV hands down.

My other questions.
Yeah Sony is better. I have a LG oled, Sony historically and still now has better motion processing and with movies it’s more important. It’s possible to color match them with settings but there is no way to improve the motion processing on the Lg. Mine is already 4 years old and it’s only a b series. The c1 is mich better but the Sony a80 is even better.

LG is better if you want to connect HT and have gaming requirement.(with current consoles or for future proofing too) For movies and tv purpose, like senior member Blasto says, better upscaling and motion processing if required then Sony is a better choice. But then Sony prices its products at about 25-50 k premium. So that's a factor tilting towards LG to many. As you could buy LG C1 plus a Home theater in a box like Sony HT RT3/iv 300 or Yamaha 1840 for the cost of Sony A80j. LG G1 is another good recommendation from the posts above.

Yeah Sony is better. I have a LG oled, Sony historically and still now has better motion processing and with movies it’s more important. It’s possible to color match them with settings but there is no way to improve the motion processing on the Lg. Mine is already 4 years old and it’s only a b series. The c1 is mich better but the Sony a80 is even better.

while I haven't done a side by side comparo between the A8H (older 2019 model which i checked out extensively) and the G1 OLED, and since our auditory and visual memory tends to be very fickle/inaccurate, at least in my case, it won't be correct of me to say that Sony's picture quality is better than the LG's. However, i did happen to do a side by side comparo of the A8H with the X95G on the showroom floor for the same size i.e. 65" and remember clearly how both me and my friend thought that while the X95G was outstanding on a standalone basis (owing to the higher brightness), the colour reproduction and overall PQ on 4k HDR videos (which did not push the brightness quotient of the screen) simply looked like it was in a class of its own. I ultimately went for the X95G because i wanted a more versatile panel (my G1s logo dimmer is aggressively dimming the entire panel as i type this post) with high brightness being the primary criterion. However, when viewing the G1 against the X95G, the differences are obvious but not as drastic when it comes to overall PQ.

But what really stands out is that while you need to go through a number of settings on the G1 before you get an ideal picture (i had to do a lot of that with my current as well as erstwhile TV sets including the LG G1, Mi 4X 65", Panasonic D400, Samsung 5 series), the out of box presets of Sony TVs are simply outstanding! I haven't changed a single picture setting of my 32" W800 in over 9 years as the preset which i have it on (can't remember exactly which and too comfy to walk down to the other room in Delhi winters) did not leave anything to be desired with inky blacks and perfectly natural colours with the right amount of saturation (to my eyes) and outstanding motion handling. The same is true for my X95G and the A8H that i'd tried on the showroom. In fact, the sole reason why i tinkered with the X95G on the showroom floor was to see whether i could get the colours and overall PQ to match the out-of-box settings of the A8H. I couldn't.

P.S.- i tried the same 4K HDR video i.e. a cutscene from Gemini Man on youtube on the G1, A8H and X95G except my erstwhile gear for obvious reasons.

P.P.S- i took a friend along who did not know any better about TVs since i thought i'd be biased. I found him concurring to the above.

Last edited:
I am looking to upgrade my 8 years old LG 43” 3D LED now. I am contemplating 65” TVs from the Top brands - Sony, LG and Samsung with a budget of upto 1.5L. I want a TV which is future proof and would last a good 10 years to come. I will connecting the TV to my AVR and my primary usage will be Youtube, Netflix, and others along with gaming on my PS5. The TV will be used in a well lit living room with good amount of ambient light coming in through huge windows and doors. Considering my budget, i see my options are Limited. OLEDs from either brand i guess would be over 2L. I am leaning towards X90J - 65”. The current offer from SC is 1.5L inclusive of credit card cash back and it may further by reduced by max 5k. For the budget, is X90J a good buy. Are there any other alternatives that i can look at.

But what really stands out is that while you need to go through a number of settings on the G1 before you get an ideal picture (i had to do a lot of that with my current as well as erstwhile TV sets including the LG G1, Mi 4X 65", Panasonic D400, Samsung 5 series), the out of box presets of Sony TVs are simply outstanding! I haven't changed a single picture setting of my 32" W800 in over 9 years as the preset which i have it on (can't remember exactly which and too comfy to walk down to the other room in Delhi winters) did not leave anything to be desired with inky blacks and perfectly natural colours with the right amount of saturation (to my eyes) and outstanding motion handling.
I also used my Sony w950 for 5 years using standard preset out of the box settings. I tried the same with c9 and you will find me crying with many threads initially when I purchased c9 how it’s not even as good as my 5 year old outdated Sony tv. Now you will see me totally opposite. One reason is every gen new tv’s come out and the processing changes. When we get used to one type of PQ we keep that as reference since our eyes and brain is tuned to that PQ. Also now bigger displays have become quite common. Just imagine few years back 32 and 42 where considered big and our eyes and brain would have gotten used to those sizes for years. Now switch to 55-65 which is the norm these days moving to 65 from 42 will take some time getting adjusted to.

I am looking to upgrade my 8 years old LG 43” 3D LED now. I am contemplating 65” TVs from the Top brands - Sony, LG and Samsung with a budget of upto 1.5L. I want a TV which is future proof and would last a good 10 years to come. I will connecting the TV to my AVR and my primary usage will be Youtube, Netflix, and others along with gaming on my PS5. The TV will be used in a well lit living room with good amount of ambient light coming in through huge windows and doors. Considering my budget, i see my options are Limited. OLEDs from either brand i guess would be over 2L. I am leaning towards X90J - 65”. The current offer from SC is 1.5L inclusive of credit card cash back and it may further by reduced by max 5k. For the budget, is X90J a good buy. Are there any other alternatives that i can look at.
You might want to consider whether Sony has extended support for full HDMI 2.1 features yet such as VRR. Last i heard, they were yet to deliver on it though they had promised to. Also, the X90J does not have wide colour gamut i.e. it has only 87% of the DCI-P3 coverage. Having said that, it is a rather tempting proposition at the price and for your budget unless you can get a C1 for the same price.

You might want to consider whether Sony has extended support for full HDMI 2.1 features yet such as VRR. Last i heard, they were yet to deliver on it though they had promised to. Also, the X90J does not have wide colour gamut i.e. it has only 87% of the DCI-P3 coverage. Having said that, it is a rather tempting proposition at the price and for your budget unless you can get a C1 for the same price.
Thanks for your response. However i am unable to understand the technicalities you have referred to especially related to the Color gamut. Can you pls explain in simple terms. Is it bad? I am completely novice and strictly go by reviews and comments by experts. Per my understanding X90J in its price bracket (less than 1.5L for 65”) is a good bet. Though there are options such as Hisense, TCL etc. i am looking to buy one either from Sony, LG or Samsung only. As you mentioned, i would love to invest in a OLED, however i guess the C1 is over 2.2L currently and its way over my budget.

I chose 65 inch Sony OLED over LG OLED after comparing extensively. This was 3 years ago. I can't tell you now point by point all the differences, but it was a clear choice at that time.
Sony was expensive, but over 5 years of ownership the difference didn't matter.
As mentioned, overall consensus is LG has better service. That's a risk you take with Sony.
In Hyderabad Balaji Electronics had the cheapest price. I started my bargaining at a very low price, and they agreed without much ado. Possibly could have gone lower. Since then OLED has become cheaper I presume.
Best of luck.

Back