65" tv - Budget 1.2L

pkt

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get a 65" tv for my parents living room. The TV usage is mainly Tata Sky HD/SD channels and little bit of streaming apps. The room is bright with 12 feet viewing distance. They have been using Sony Bravia 42" FHD tv for last 6 years. Looking for a TV with the best possible picture quality, should last long and provide good service when needed. The budget is up to 1.2 lakh. I have found Samsung Frame 2020 , Sony x8000h and HiSense U7QF as possible options under the budget. I was considering Toshiba U7980 as well but it is not available at my pincode. Let me know your thoughts on which one (out of these or any other) will be the best 65" tv under 1.2L.

If the main use is Tata sky with some streaming on Indian services (Hotstar, Sony liv etc), no point spending 1 lakh. Get any 65" TV from Nokia/Motorola for 50-60k or so, they'll all look decent.

If you care about looks though and don't mind the spend, go with the frame. U7QF and X8000H aren't worth it.

If the main use is Tata sky with some streaming on Indian services (Hotstar, Sony liv etc), no point spending 1 lakh. Get any 65" TV from Nokia/Motorola for 50-60k or so, they'll all look decent.

If you care about looks though and don't mind the spend, go with the frame. U7QF and X8000H aren't worth it.
Thanks for the reply. I just hope going with Nokia/Motorola will not be a downgrade in terms of picture quality though.

The room is bright with 12 feet viewing distance. They have been using Sony Bravia 42" FHD tv for last 6 years.
Anything less than Sony X8000 will be a downgrade. Lower TVs don't do SD channels well. People used to watching SD channels in sony FHD find it hard to move to anything else. 4k or otherwise.

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get a 65" tv for my parents living room. The TV usage is mainly Tata Sky HD/SD channels and little bit of streaming apps. The room is bright with 12 feet viewing distance. They have been using Sony Bravia 42" FHD tv for last 6 years. Looking for a TV with the best possible picture quality, should last long and provide good service when needed. The budget is up to 1.2 lakh. I have found Samsung Frame 2020 , Sony x8000h and HiSense U7QF as possible options under the budget. I was considering Toshiba U7980 as well but it is not available at my pincode. Let me know your thoughts on which one (out of these or any other) will be the best 65" tv under 1.2L.
I was helping my friend get the right TV in the 65" VFM LG 65UM7290. Why is it value for money -

1) one of the big 3
2) less than 85k at Amazon
3) apple airplay, homekit
4) dts virtual
5) bluetooth is good
6) you could buy magic remote seperately from lg store and it would bridge the gap between this and other top models as this is compatible.
7) 3 year panel warranty

But the same TV costs 10k more in Flipkart and 20k more in LG online portal. You also get an IPS screen which gives better viewing angles and is therefore value for money. But to my surprise he bought one in a store for 1.15 lakhs. Same model.

Thanks for the reply. I just hope going with Nokia/Motorola will not be a downgrade in terms of picture quality though.
It will be a downgrade, yes, but for 1080p/SD channels does it really matter? It's not like you'll be able to utilize a high-end panel with that kind of content. I have been using a 42" Bravia since 2013 as well before upgrading to Toshiba U79. Both look terrible on SD channels and mediocre with Tata Sky HD channels. The content bitrate is too low to care about picture quality.

If you still care about PQ even with that kind of content, get the Samsung Frame. It's the best option and not overpriced like Sony's offerings. Don't get an IPS panel, the contrast is too low for any kind of content other than as a PC monitor.

Ips is actually better for a hall TV. As it has a wider viewing angle. And enough contrast ratio to enjoy viewing.

Ips is actually better for a hall TV. As it has a wider viewing angle. And enough contrast ratio to enjoy viewing.
If it's only going to be used as a TV with plenty of light on and not as a movie watching TV, it's fine. However, as you dim the lights IPS TV looks like crap. And even with lights on a VA with high contrast ratio or with FALD looks more contrasty than an IPS.

If it's the only TV you have, buying IPS is a huge mistake. If you turn on light, all the content looks bad (I'll make a post with calculations). Basically, if your room is 100 nits uniformly lit and your TV has a reflectivity of 5% (which is very very good), you can only have a max contrast ratio of 100:1 even on an OLED with say 500 nits brightness. So watching a good movie or TV show with lights on is by default a terrible experience.

I'll definitely make a post about this with all calculations so that I don't have to explain it again and again. But the misbelief that IPS panels look better in high ambient light is false. Every single TV looks better in a dark room, and noticeably so. It's just that you can't point out the panel flaws that much in high ambient light (because every panel is supposed to look bad there).

VA has poor viewing angles. You can't sit in an acute or obtuse angle and enjoy the show. In hall TVs that's a huge difference.

VA has poor viewing angles. You can't sit in an acute or obtuse angle and enjoy the show. In hall TVs that's a huge difference.
Well, if you have to enjoy the show, you should sit in the middle every time anyway. If you sit at a very big angle to the TV, you are going to get a distorted image anyway. I can never enjoy the show that way.

Hall TV is the main TV for most people, with bedroom TV being the old 1080p stuff from years prior. And FWIW, 30-45 degrees from a VA and the image is still decent. You can't enjoy the show sure, but you can never enjoy a show on an IPS display even dead centre and with lights off. So what's the point!

An IPS TV only makes sense if you can't block the light and you have a better bedroom TV for HDR content. I'll never use IPS to watch a 4k HDR show or movie. Just for maybe cricket or DTH content.

Why is my 75" 8000h good enough for movies then? It is IPS. Actually VA TVs do not need to be FALD.
Sorry to rain down on your parade, but your x8000H isn't what I'd consider good enough for HDR. It has low contrast, mediocre brightness, no local dimming.

It got a 5.9 for movies on rtings and no good reviewer recommended that TV ever. In comparison:
  • Toshiba U79 (H8F) has 8.1
  • Frame 2020 has 7.1
  • X900H has 8.5
I have a very high rated IPS monitor (https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27uk650-w). The overall picture quality of this monitor is better than the x800h. Yet I never use it for movie watching because 1000:1 is too low of a contrast.

Why is my 75" 8000h good enough for movies then? It is IPS. Actually VA TVs do not need to be FALD.

How is comparison between x9300 and x8000? I think you have both and can do better job comparing yester year FALD to current IPS.

How is comparison between x9300 and x8000? I think you have both and can do better job comparing yester year FALD to current IPS.
X9300 is not FALD. It's edge-lit. But even that should destroy the X8000H in black levels and contrast if you turn local dimming to high and backlight to max

It is edge lit frame dimming with some additional backlit dimming(which explains it's slim nature in top of the TV and from the lower portion there is a bulge which has some frame dimming which is different from full array local dimming). 8000h is more colourful and obviously better in picture quality.

It is edge lit frame dimming with some additional backlit dimming(which explains it's slim nature in top of the TV and from the lower portion there is a bulge which has some frame dimming which is different from full array local dimming). 8000h is more colourful and obviously better in picture quality.
Now that we have this guy's verdict, let's compare to actual professional comparison, shall we? Will be a nice test of how much you can trust his verdict:

Sony X800H vs Sony X930D Side-by-Side Comparison - RTINGS.com

As expected by me, the X930 absolutely destroys the X800H. It's 1050 nits v/s 530, 2800:1 contrast ratio v/s 1083:1, much better black levels, higher colour gamut (88% DCI-P3 v/s 85.98%). It's also way better in motion with a 120Hz panel and judder-free 24p. The only places X8000H is better in is viewing angles and grey uniformity.

I generally don't name and shame, but @Donivlapog please don't put blatant lies on the forum just to prove your point or justify your purchase. The X8000H has lower colour gamue than the X9300D, so not sure why you're claiming 8000h is more colourful.

Edit: updated with 9300D instead of E, because that's what the user has

Last edited:
No amount of reviews can say what it is when you see it yourself. And I am 42 years old and therefore please give me some respect and don't say blatant lies and "this guy" and so on. Word your replies pleasantly and not to please your ego. Pls give respect to take respect. In TV viewing there is subject to personal opinion also. The wide viewing is a big thing to consider as you can't always have the centre seat and you need your family members to view good also. Ask Rksingh on the clarity of 8000h plus I have both. 8000h is more colourful and has better visuals period.

No amount of reviews can say what it is when you see it yourself. And I am 42 years old and therefore please give me some respect and don't say blatant lies and "this guy" and so on. Word your replies pleasantly and not to please your ego. Pls give respect to take respect. In TV viewing there is subject to personal opinion also. The wide viewing is a big thing to consider as you can't always have the centre seat and you need your family members to view good also. Ask Rksingh on the clarity of 8000h plus I have both. 8000h is more colourful and has better visuals period.
If you think your age is enough to command respect, shows enough of what your repressed thinking is like. This is a tech forum, not a family reunion uncle. If you want respect, please start by stating the facts.

What I have shared are cold, hard facts. If you still refute them, I have nothing to say further. This is also why I believe in objective testing rather than user testimonials. We Indians have a very bad habit of not seeing anything wrong in our recent purchases. Sorry, but rtings has real data about the X8000H and it's nothing special.

I'm done with you. Please continue seeking respect just through the fact that your age is higher on your relatives, not here. I don't seek respect from folks younger than me if they can teach me stuff. That's how the world should work. Good day!

Just say in your angle. No need to pick up a fight and I have seen TVs since 1985. It was a dyanora TV in my childhood which is obsolete today. By saying rude remarks like blatant lies and this guy, shows you are not valuing others opinions. Temper prevails. Rtings have many parameters evaluated. In many there are ups and downs. IPS may please some VA may please others. But there is no need to use provocative replies. To each his own. I rest my case.

Sorry to rain down on your parade, but your x8000H isn't what I'd consider good enough for HDR. It has low contrast, mediocre brightness, no local dimming.

It got a 5.9 for movies on rtings and no good reviewer recommended that TV ever. In comparison:
  • Toshiba U79 (H8F) has 8.1
  • Frame 2020 has 7.1
  • X900H has 8.5
I have a very high rated IPS monitor (https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27uk650-w). The overall picture quality of this monitor is better than the x800h. Yet I never use it for movie watching because 1000:1 is too low of a contrast.
Now that we have this guy's verdict, let's compare to actual professional comparison, shall we? Will be a nice test of how much you can trust his verdict:

Sony X800H vs Sony X930D Side-by-Side Comparison - RTINGS.com

As expected by me, the X930 absolutely destroys the X800H. It's 1050 nits v/s 530, 2800:1 contrast ratio v/s 1083:1, much better black levels, higher colour gamut (88% DCI-P3 v/s 85.98%). It's also way better in motion with a 120Hz panel and judder-free 24p. The only places X8000H is better in is viewing angles and grey uniformity.

I generally don't name and shame, but @Donivlapog please don't put blatant lies on the forum just to prove your point or justify your purchase. The X8000H has lower colour gamue than the X9300D, so not sure why you're claiming 8000h is more colourful.

Edit: updated with 9300D instead of E, because that's what the user has

Good to see someone finally call out this guy's blatant lies and misinformation. He has been spreading lies about IPS panels by saying it is more colourful than VA panels and that IPS has good enough contrast when in reality it is pathetic.

When nobody confronted him on these lies, guess what? he got bolder and graduated from comparing his IPS panel to VA panels to now OLED. Apparently his crappyy IPS panel black level looks close to OLED now. Check out this thread and laugh: https://www.hifivision.com/threads/to-all-sony-tv-owners.82530/

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back