7.1.4 recommendations to go with Denon X3800h

gowidpmd

Hi,

I am building a dedicated theatre room, and I was thinking of a 5.1.4 setup initially but if an economical amp can help, I would like to move to 7.1.4.
I ask our architect and he suggested a 17' x 24' room. So, we are constructing that.
I have decided on the Denon X3800h as it suits my needs and budget.
For the projector, I think Epson EH-TW7100.

But I have doubts about the speakers and subwoofer. I am inclining towards the following-

a. Polk ES55 Towers, Polk ES30 Center, Polk ES20 Surround Side, Polk ES10 Surround Back
b. Q-Acoustics 3050i Package

Please suggest the followings-
  1. A Complete 7.1.4 set under $2000 or INR 1,75,000.
  2. Atmos speakers and Subwoofer.
  3. Should Surround back speakers be smaller?
  4. I have to add an external amplifier for 2 channels, (probably the rear atmos set), can it be done with the 'Class D' options like AIYIMA A07?
  5. Is Epson EH-TW7100 enough or Should I rise up to EH-TW9400?
Looking forward to your help...

Thanks,
Pramod

4. I have to add an external amplifier for 2 channels, (probably the rear atmos set), can it be done with the 'Class D' options like AIYIMA A07?
i would suggest build your home theater step by step. You may start from 5.1 setup , LCR /Sub are very crucial for Setup.
Denon X3800h is good to go.

With the above speaker package i think Polk is better. For Subwoofer better look at Rythemic/SVS/XTZ/REL/JL Audio Subwoofers .

There are lot of options for speakers , try auditioning speakers and then choose them.

Epson EH-TW7100 is good bet for the price if you have enough budget then go with EH-TW9400.

i would suggest build your home theater step by step. You may start from 5.1 setup , LCR /Sub are very crucial for Setup.
Denon X3800h is good to go.

With the above speaker package i think Polk is better. For Subwoofer better look at Rythemic/SVS/XTZ/REL/JL Audio Subwoofers .

There are lot of options for speakers , try auditioning speakers and then choose them.

Epson EH-TW7100 is good bet for the price if you have enough budget then go with EH-TW9400.
Please suggest a suitable sub..

Please listen to both Polk and Q Acoustics and decide. I just didn't like the ES series and found them very fatiguing and bright. On the other hand I liked Q Acoustics when I heard them.

They are very different in sound signature.

Hi,

I am building a dedicated theatre room, and I was thinking of a 5.1.4 setup initially but if an economical amp can help, I would like to move to 7.1.4.
I ask our architect and he suggested a 17' x 24' room. So, we are constructing that.
I have decided on the Denon X3800h as it suits my needs and budget.
For the projector, I think Epson EH-TW7100.

But I have doubts about the speakers and subwoofer. I am inclining towards the following-

a. Polk ES55 Towers, Polk ES30 Center, Polk ES20 Surround Side, Polk ES10 Surround Back
b. Q-Acoustics 3050i Package

Looking forward to your help...

Thanks,
Pramod

Hi,

Would suggest you visit some dealers in your location and audition available speakers with that Denon specific AVR where possible. This will help to understand better. What is good for me may be bad for you as we all have our personal preferences.

We dont have many dedicated Speaker threads but there are AVR threads of Denon and Marantz which you can refer to and read on first hand experience of actual Denon users who have paired many brands of speakers which can assist you as reference.

What do you doubt about the speaker? Polk make good loudspeakers.
As for the Sub, get an SVS or a REL.
Polk Audio make decent sub woofers too. If you can package the deal from the dealer, you may stand to gain a little price advantage. That said, check what else the dealer sells from other sub woofer brands.
X3800 will work just fine. Start here and think of external amplifiers at a later stage.

But SVS
What do you doubt about the speaker? Polk make good loudspeakers.
As for the Sub, get an SVS or a REL.
Polk Audio make decent sub woofers too. If you can package the deal from the dealer, you may stand to gain a little price advantage. That said, check what else the dealer sells from other sub woofer brands.
X3800 will work just fine. Start here and think of external amplifiers at a later stage.
But SVS subs are too costly in India.. More than double what they are asking in the US. I don't think that's value for money.

For movies svs pb series or rhythmic. Try to go dual of you can.

MaSh
but those are too damn costly. More than double what they are asking for in the US. Even Polk HTS-12 is pricier than SVS in the US. Is SVS really worth double its own cost?

but those are too damn costly. More than double what they are asking for in the US. Even Polk HTS-12 is pricier than SVS in the US. Is SVS really worth double its own cost?
Well svs is worth every penny but yes in the current market everything is overpriced at the moment. Check out pre worshipped stuff. A lot of good deals keep coming.

MaSh

But SVS

But SVS subs are too costly in India.. More than double what they are asking in the US. I don't think that's value for money.
Isn't everything electronics double the asking price, when compared to the USA?
If you were to compare the price of those Polk speakers, you will likely find they are cheaper in the USA too. The cheapest Polk sub woofer, the PSW10 is about 60% cheaper in the USA!

SVS was never intended as a low price product. I'd bin the idea of Value for money. Alternatively, if you can provide some context of what you mean by value for money, that will be helpful. A quality product costs more. Thats just the way it is and SVS don't cut corners when it comes to their products.

Its also adjusting for currency. An SVS PB13 Ultra cost Rs. 70,000, ~8 years ago (Import duty included). Sounds like a steal today. That was a lot of money in 2015! You will find similar trends even for AV Receivers. Besides; SVS have about 20 different sub woofer models. I am sure there will be one that suits your needs and fits in your budget.

If you are buying SVS, I'd deal direct. They ship the sub directly to you. You pay import duties at your door step.

If SVS is out of reach, look around. There are over half a dozen of good sub woofer brands.

You need to look at this in the same way you are considering a Denon X3800. This purchase is for the long haul. Its not cheap or vfm as it is a imported product.

Last edited:
Thats just the way it is and SVS don't cut corners when it comes to their products.
I would disagree with this. I just had a failed SVS SB2000 sub. When I opened it up, the plate amp. was pure junk, made in China on an assembly line with basic parts and it failed 4 months after the warranty expired ( I am not bothered with the failure - electronics do fail - but with the quality of the plate amp. used). Yes new plate amps. are available from them, but it is a waste of money to buy this junk. Maybe their higher end models are better. I was a strong SVS advocate having owned only SVS subs from past 20 years, now I would advise people to steer away and look for comparable models. They have moved into the high volume, mediocre quality model with frequent model upgrades.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I would disagree with this. I just had a failed SVS SB2000 sub. When I opened it up, the plate amp. was pure junk, made in China on an assembly line with basic parts and it failed 4 months after the warranty expired.
Do you have more data on the failure of their sub woofer plate amplifiers? The failure you experienced does not mean the entire line up is made of junk. Besides; 8 out of 10 sub woofer brands are likely manufacturing their sub woofers under the same roof where SVS is made. The only difference being cabinet, electronic control and driver design.

Your case is a little better. My friends SVS sub failed within the first month and this was the most expensive sealed box model! Post the new plate amp going in, it has worked flawlessly for 6+ years. Agree that this is not long enough to make a call on longevity.

I would disagree with this. I just had a failed SVS SB2000 sub. When I opened it up, the plate amp. was pure junk, made in China on an assembly line with basic parts and it failed 4 months after the warranty expired ( I am not bothered with the failure - electronics do fail - but with the quality of the plate amp. used). Yes new plate amps. are available from them, but it is a waste of money to buy this junk. Maybe their higher end models are better. I was a strong SVS advocate having owned only SVS subs from past 20 years, now I would advise people to steer away and look for comparable models. They have moved into the high volume, mediocre quality model with frequent model upgrades.
Cheers,
Sid
Finally someone talks the reality about svs..
Actually svs technical designs are crap.. and so is the quality..
They make subs to look good on paper.. They are champions at marketing subs.
Even I was a svs fan long time ago..

Do you have more data on the failure of their sub woofer plate amplifiers? The failure you experienced does not mean the entire line up is made of junk. Besides; 8 out of 10 sub woofer brands are likely manufacturing their sub woofers under the same roof where SVS is made. The only difference being cabinet, electronic control and driver design.

Your case is a little better. My friends SVS sub failed within the first month and this was the most expensive sealed box model! Post the new plate amp going in, it has worked flawlessly for 6+ years. Agree that this is not long enough to make a call on longevity.
As I stated earlier, I have no issue with the failure. My only point is that I opened up the sub, which I would not normally do and was appalled at the quality of the amp. - yes and it is junk, I wouldn't pay $100 for it, let alone $300-500. Yes, and so if all sub woofer brands are doing this, then perhaps the buyers should be made aware of it. I for one, am not going to buy these at 70-80k. And as I stated earlier perhaps SVS higher end models are not junk, but with this experience I am never going to own another SVS again. I have a budget of 2 lacs. I am researching other brands now, I still have 2 SVS subs and 1 Rythmik sub.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Which sub do you suggest for this setup?
IMO it is hard to guide you at that budget. As prices of all brands have gone up, even the 70-80k budget will get you an average (build quality wise) subwoofer. You have to either increase your budget, or take a chance with available options. I have been researching subs the past couple of months, so I have a little bit of info. on what is going on in The Indian mkt. currently.
Pre-owned or DIY are other options, to get a lower price point.
Cheers,
Sid

How is the BIC Acoustech PL-200 II sub?
I heard it's a good bang for the buck.

Please do your research.
Cheers,
Sid

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back