72 Hours with Samsung KS7000

dolfin

I had to change my TV this year. I had been scanning the internet ever since 2016 lineups were announced in CES. I was particularly interested in LG UH850T and Samsung KS7000. The former for Dolby Vision & 3D and the later for UHD Premium Certification (associated hardware features). Around July I saw the LG model in showroom and I was totally disappointed with the PQ. The panel lacked contrast and blacks were not so deep. Colours were also looking dull for my choice. So I decided to wait for Samsung. Later came KS9000 and I was quite amazed to see the PQ. Subsequently KS7000 also hit the shelves.

Now it was choice between 3D and PQ. I finally decided to sacrifice 3D for PQ and got my Samsung KS7000 installed two days back. Here is my review of the model:

Build Quality (8/10):
Build quality is quite good to justify SUHD range. This TV is almost bezel-less and can be fitted perfectly in tight space. Mine is installed in corner and I could not find better fitting for its size. Though I am not using the stands, I felt its design is not good. They take lot of table space and rotation is not possible. I also heard that being screw-less they are prone to fall down.

Bundled remote feels solid in hand. It is a Universal Remote and does not require line of sight. Smart Hub Interface scans the device through HDMI and sets up necessary codes. The process is not smooth like Logitech Harmony but descent for a TV. Some buttons like power, back etc. are flush and sometimes do not click.

One Connect Box is really a smart idea and makes the ports easily accessible. Had it been on the back side, it really would have been a great pain since my TV is in corner. Of course it is upgradable though I am not sure if Samsung will keep its promise in releasing upgrades 2-3 years down the line.

Interface (7/10):
Unlike LG's WebOS interface which looks kiddish, Samsung's new Smart Hub looks more subtle & premium. Interface adds a translucent white background and nice animations that are not overly done. UI is responsive and intuitive. Menu options offer both quick and expert modes. I found that quick modes for picture and sound settings are quite enough for a normal user. I did explore the expert settings but did not find much improvement in PQ. I personally like "Natural" mode. (Other modes are Dynamic, Standard and Movie).

Features & Picture Quality (9/10):
KS7000 is SUHD Model that uses Quantum Dot substrate from Nanosys. It is also a UHD Premium Certified TV meaning it has 4K resolution, 10bit color depth, more than 90% of DCI-P3 colour gamut, HDR, minimum brightness and 1000 nits and black level of 0.05 nits. Being a VA panel, it does have deep blacks (its no match for OLED but still very good in LED-LCD category). The brightness, I must say is really exceptional. Streaks of Sunlight truly looks like sunlight! Colours in Dynamic mode are oversaturated but descent in Natural mode. Of course one can set the colour according to personal taste and every possible aspect can be adjusted in expert mode. Like typical VA panel picture becomes dull at extreme angles but since my TV is in corner, I do not need to see it from extreme angles.

Unlike LG offering it does not have 3D and Dolby Vision. I felt little bad about 3D. Its loosing luster. Blu-ray Disk Association has kept it out from UltraHD Blu-ray specification. It means 3D will be limited to current Blu-rays only. Dolby Vision is a competing HDR standard (remember Blu-ray vs HD-DVD battle?) that holds water but its optional & proprietary standard and may take some time for getting adopted.

Motion handling is good but not the best for its class. Built-in speakers are good but a separate speaker system is highly recommended.

My Overall Score (8/10): :thumbsup:

Here are some pictures of the screen, bezel, One Connect Box and with screen turned on...

Attachments

• File_001.jpg
    File_001.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 276
  • File_002.jpg
    File_002.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 276
  • File_003.jpg
    File_003.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 274
  • File_004.jpg
    File_004.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 274
  • File_005.jpg
    File_005.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 277
  • File_006.jpg
    File_006.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 277
Thanks for the pictures.

So the screen is only the display and the one connect box contains all the rest like the PCB, connectivity etc similar to the old Pioneer Kuro series (certain models)?

Thanks for the pictures.

So the screen is only the display and the one connect box contains all the rest like the PCB, connectivity etc similar to the old Pioneer Kuro series (certain models)?

We'll few ports like CI (Common Interface), USB, Ethernet and One Connect are on the screen as well.

One Connect houses the processor and the other ports (HDMI, USB, Optical, AV and Ant). It also houses the Smart Hub firmware. Samsung used to call it Evolution Kit. I am not sure though features such as bit depth, Dolby Vision etc. can be added / upgraded just through the One Connect. Also it very much depends upon how much Samsung is keen to support their old models. For e.g. there is no Evolution Kit released this year for their old models. Instead they are releasing software upgrade.

For now I see only two advantages. First is easy accessibility and secondly if I brick the box during firmware update, I don't have to open up the TV! :lol:

We'll few ports like CI (Common Interface), USB, Ethernet and One Connect are on the screen as well.

One Connect houses the processor and the other ports (HDMI, USB, Optical, AV and Ant). It also houses the Smart Hub firmware. Samsung used to call it Evolution Kit. I am not sure though features such as bit depth, Dolby Vision etc. can be added / upgraded just through the One Connect. Also it very much depends upon how much Samsung is keen to support their old models. For e.g. there is no Evolution Kit released this year for their old models. Instead they are releasing software upgrade.

For now I see only two advantages. First is easy accessibility and secondly if I brick the box during firmware update, I don't have to open up the TV! :lol:

There is one more major advantage, which is that the connect box which contains the brains will not get hot as it is separate from the display on wall mounting.

If anything goes wrong, it will be easier to diagnose the fault. No more twang from the service centre "Sir Panel is gone and has to be changed, please pay me $$$$$$$$$ money to fix it" :).

It will also be easier to connect another box and check what the fault is. Hopefully Samsung will provide better support than they usually do.

That said and done, I would recommend you keep this box well ventilated and clean.

Also one more thing, how does this box connect to the display? Is this cable also proprietary?

Thanks Vinod for your suggestion! :) The box get connected via proprietary cable and port.

I also want to run UHD calibration. I could find AVS HD706. But as far as I understand HDR TVs are calibrated to BT2020. Do you know any free option?

Hey Dolfin, Wat was the price u got KS7000 for ? any reasons ks8000 not available in the market?

Hi Karthik, It seems that Samsung India takes the decision to drop out certain models here. Last year I was looking out for UHD-3D model which never launched in India. I even wrote to CEO's desk.

I am not sure if CEO reads the mail since I always got round replies from counselors to contact local distributors. I expected some strategic answer why & how some models are chosen (or not chosen) for launch in India. :mad:

Anyways, I got this for 1.4 Lacs from Croma and got some gift vouchers worth ?1400 (there were no freebies). I am happy with the deal as it is lower than online price & did't have to worry about additional installation charges. Finally B&M stores are catching up with e-tailers! :clapping:

Yeah.. Not able to understand y samsung is not having 8000 in India. Reviews say ts the best out there.

Btw which all u considered before selecting 7000, I am stuck between 7000 and X8500D from Sony, Sony offering 55inch at around 1.40 while I havent started negotiating for 7000 , they had quoted 1.6 earlier during first engagement.

I had shortlisted only two models LG UH850 and Samsung KS7000. I did see Sony models on display. PQ is inferior than SUHD. X85D does not support local dimming and peak brightness is less than 1000 nits. WCG is compairable with Samsung. Motion performance should be better due to MotionFlow XR 800.

From what i understand the KS7000 here is the KS8000 in the US

Might be . I have search a lot for KS7000 reviews in rtings , flatpanel avsforum etc. ended up seeing one for KU7000 which is comparatively poor with PQ .

hows the Panel with SD & FHD content ? 4k content though no doubts it would be kickass.

@Dolfin : are the USB's 3.0 ?

KS8000 and KS7000 are not same. KS8000 is Series 8 high-end model. It has 4.1 speaker system and what Samsung calls 'Supreme UHD Dimming' against 2.1 speakers and 'UHD Dimming' of Series 7.

KU7000 on the other hand is non-SUHD model ("S" stands for SUHD and "U" for plain UHD) and not comparable with KS7000. SUHD range is UHD Premium Certified and UHD range is not. Samsung has their own panel rating called "Picture Quality Index" (PQI) which basically tells relative picture quality within their own range. KS8000 has PQI of 2300, KS7000 has 2100 and KU7000 has 1500.

I have seen KS9000 on demo which has PQI of 2400. Honestly the PQ difference is not much, though it is visible. Also the PQI rating between curved and non-curved models varies by 100 points (KS7500 has PQI of 2200). Again PQ difference is questionable.

If Samsung had to introduce KS8000 here they would have surely done by now. Missing festive season is a big mistake. But the quality would have been somewhere in between KS9000 and KS7000. I am ok with that difference hence decided to go ahead with KS7000.

@dial2karthik: Over last few days I ran several demo clips including HDR. It goes without saying that better the resolution better the PQ. There is also a noticeable difference between content played at native resolution (say SD or FHD) and that up scaled to 4K (done through AVR). During my demo in the shop I asked them to play few TV channels on both Samsung and LG and found a major difference due to enhanced local dimming, brightness and quantum dot.

There is marking of USB 2.0. I'm not sure if both are same version. One is rated 5V 1A (for HDD) and other is 5V 0.5A. Hope this helps... :)

Yeah.. Not able to understand y samsung is not having 8000 in India. Reviews say ts the best out there.

Btw which all u considered before selecting 7000, I am stuck between 7000 and X8500D from Sony, Sony offering 55inch at around 1.40 while I havent started negotiating for 7000 , they had quoted 1.6 earlier during first engagement.

Can you please tell if this cost is for 49 inch or 55 inch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Karthik, It seems that Samsung India takes the decision to drop out certain models here. Last year I was looking out for UHD-3D model which never launched in India. I even wrote to CEO's desk.

I am not sure if CEO reads the mail since I always got round replies from counselors to contact local distributors. I expected some strategic answer why & how some models are chosen (or not chosen) for launch in India. :mad:

Anyways, I got this for 1.4 Lacs from Croma and got some gift vouchers worth ?1400 (there were no freebies). I am happy with the deal as it is lower than online price & did't have to worry about additional installation charges. Finally B&M stores are catching up with e-tailers! :clapping:

Can u please tell if this price for ks7000 is for 49 inch or 55 inch

KS8000 and KS7000 are not same. KS8000 is Series 8 high-end model. It has 4.1 speaker system and what Samsung calls 'Supreme UHD Dimming' against 2.1 speakers and 'UHD Dimming' of Series 7.

KU7000 on the other hand is non-SUHD model ("S" stands for SUHD and "U" for plain UHD) and not comparable with KS7000. SUHD range is UHD Premium Certified and UHD range is not. Samsung has their own panel rating called "Picture Quality Index" (PQI) which basically tells relative picture quality within their own range. KS8000 has PQI of 2300, KS7000 has 2100 and KU7000 has 1500.

I have seen KS9000 on demo which has PQI of 2400. Honestly the PQ difference is not much, though it is visible. Also the PQI rating between curved and non-curved models varies by 100 points (KS7500 has PQI of 2200). Again PQ difference is questionable.

If Samsung had to introduce KS8000 here they would have surely done by now. Missing festive season is a big mistake. But the quality would have been somewhere in between KS9000 and KS7000. I am ok with that difference hence decided to go ahead with KS7000.

@dial2karthik: Over last few days I ran several demo clips including HDR. It goes without saying that better the resolution better the PQ. There is also a noticeable difference between content played at native resolution (say SD or FHD) and that up scaled to 4K (done through AVR). During my demo in the shop I asked them to play few TV channels on both Samsung and LG and found a major difference due to enhanced local dimming, brightness and quantum dot.

There is marking of USB 2.0. I'm not sure if both are same version. One is rated 5V 1A (for HDD) and other is 5V 0.5A. Hope this helps... :)

Thnks for the details Dolfin. Zeroing on KS7000 . It all about nego now :p

Excellent panel, I must say. I am looking for a 55 inch panel for myself and the KS7000 stands out. I got a quote of 1.97L which is little too high for me. I need to either wait for the prices to fall down or down size to 49 inch (less preferred option). Let's see how it goes.

I bought the 55" KS7000 in Delhi in July....comes packed with a marketing sticker on the top left of the TV - about 6" wide and half the screen height - I noted permanent blots left on the screen under this sticker. Samsung replaced it with a new one in Sep, but same issue. Again Samsung provided me with a third piece and viola.... same issue! Do check your TV as well - examine the screen surface closely with the TV switched off and let me know if you also have the same issue.... I had a separate post running on this issue which you may refer to for pics.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back