75” TV question

vkalia

I am looking to get a 75” TV for watching movies and sports. Most of the time, i will be watching in a darkened room - but i will also be watching sporting events in the daytime.

Does it make sense to get an OLED TV for viewing in daytime hours?

FWIW, i am not a rabid movie/TV enthusiasts: watch about 3-4 hours a week typically with my wife. So if i can get 90-95% of the performance of an OLED with QLED, or by getting Hisense/TCL over Sony/LG, I am happy to save the money.

I am looking to get a 75” TV for watching movies and sports. Most of the time, i will be watching in a darkened room - but i will also be watching sporting events in the daytime.

Does it make sense to get an OLED TV for viewing in daytime hours?

FWIW, i am not a rabid movie/TV enthusiasts: watch about 3-4 hours a week typically with my wife. So if i can get 90-95% of the performance of an OLED with QLED, or by getting Hisense/TCL over Sony/LG, I am happy to save the money.
You could try Sony X90K 75" which can be bought for Rs.2 lakhs in some stores.

So an update on this. Finally got off my ass and went to check a few TVs.

Gotta say, OLEDs look *nice* and after A/Bing with a regular TV, i dont think i can do a regular LED anymore. I tried an LG OLED (65” model) and i also compared to one of their QNED TVs - the QNED was actually surprisingly good as well, and would fit my needs well enough. The guy said the price was 2.4L but additional discounts possible - that seems quite decent for a 75”. Anything else i should check out in this ballpark?

The TCL C835 is supposedly a mini-LED TV, isnt it? It’s 1.9L online at Croma - i imagine i can get a better deal by walking into their store. Worth it? Or is the mini-LED technology improving enough that the new gen will be that much better?

I want to get a 75”, not a 65” (have a 58” and if i am going bigger, i want to BIGGER). And while i am happy to wait a few months if i am going to get something significantly better or cheaper, I couldn’t be arsed not having a bigger TV for 3+ months just to save a few thousand. What would you guys suggest?

So an update on this. Finally got off my ass and went to check a few TVs.

Gotta say, OLEDs look *nice* and after A/Bing with a regular TV, i dont think i can do a regular LED anymore. I tried an LG OLED (65” model) and i also compared to one of their QNED TVs - the QNED was actually surprisingly good as well, and would fit my needs well enough. The guy said the price was 2.4L but additional discounts possible - that seems quite decent for a 75”. Anything else i should check out in this ballpark?

The TCL C835 is supposedly a mini-LED TV, isnt it? It’s 1.9L online at Croma - i imagine i can get a better deal by walking into their store. Worth it? Or is the mini-LED technology improving enough that the new gen will be that much better?

I want to get a 75”, not a 65” (have a 58” and if i am going bigger, i want to BIGGER). And while i am happy to wait a few months if i am going to get something significantly better or cheaper, I couldn’t be arsed not having a bigger TV for 3+ months just to save a few thousand. What would you guys suggest?
I am the owner of a 75 inch LED and a 65 inch OLED. The OLED viewing distance is 6.5 feet and LED, I watch at about 17 feet to 20 feet distance just when I dine at the living room. For any other TV viewing I watch the 65" OLED and I dont feel the voewing less immersive. But the 75" at 17 feet is pushing me to go for 85" TV or bigger. So the answer is viewing distance. If you drag a chair and go sit closer, 65" will do. The only times I come closer to the 75" TV is when I approach my books storeage library near the hall TV and during those times I feel it is adequete. So viewing distancd matters with PQ.

I am the owner of a 75 inch LED and a 65 inch OLED. The OLED viewing distance is 6.5 feet and LED, I watch at about 17 feet to 20 feet distance just when I dine at the living room. For any other TV viewing I watch the 65" OLED and I dont feel the voewing less immersive. But the 75" at 17 feet is pushing me to go for 85" TV or bigger. So the answer is viewing distance. If you drag a chair and go sit closer, 65" will do. The only times I come closer to the 75" TV is when I approach my books storeage library near the hall TV and during those times I feel it is adequete. So viewing distancd matters with PQ.

My viewing distance is fixed - it’s around 7’ or so. The recliners are where they are, and the TV is where it is - cant really do much more about it (except inches here or there).

Can i get by with a 65”? Yes. But the 75” QNED is perfectly satisfactory for my needs - so would prefer that. Now it is just a matter of optimising the purchase - ie, is there something better in the same price, or comparable quality for cheaper.

My viewing distance is fixed - it’s around 7’ or so. The recliners are where they are, and the TV is where it is - cant really do much more about it (except inches here or there).

Can i get by with a 65”? Yes. But the 75” QNED is perfectly satisfactory for my needs - so would prefer that. Now it is just a matter of optimising the purchase - ie, is there something better in the same price, or comparable quality for cheaper.
LG QNED? IPS panel I think. Just check.

QNED is rubbish IPS panels.

Contrast, in VA panels, is reasonable. Not OLED level but good enough to watch with satisfaction. In IPS it would be a compromise. Especially if you watch movies, you will notice.

LG QNED? IPS panel I think. Just check.

Ah, i didnt realise it was IPS. I only looked at it head-on, and it looked quite good (atleast in showroom conditions).

The other option would be the TCL 75 C835, as mentioned above, which is a mini-LED TV. Need to find someplace to check it out, though.

just buy QLED and save your money for a good sound system. QLEDs are 90% of an OLEDs.

That’s what I ended up doing - was gonna get a Sony X90L but then the Hisense U7K came out and I went for that.

I already have a 5.1.2 system, so just replaced the 58” Panasonic with this TV. Panasonic is now in the living room.

That’s what I ended up doing - was gonna get a Sony X90L but then the Hisense U7K came out and I went for that.

I already have a 5.1.2 system, so just replaced the 58” Panasonic with this TV. Panasonic is now in the living room.
Would you like to share how you did the 5.1.2 set up in bedroom. I am also planning to upgrade from 3.1 in my bedroom. My bed is against the wall so rear speakers are out of question and I was thinking wall speakers on front wall for Atmos to save hassles from ceiling mounts.

Would you like to share how you did the 5.1.2 set up in bedroom. I am also planning to upgrade from 3.1 in my bedroom. My bed is against the wall so rear speakers are out of question and I was thinking wall speakers on front wall for Atmos to save hassles from ceiling mounts.

5.1.2 isn't in the bedroom (no bedroom in the TV). It's in a dedicated home theatre room upstairs, which is designed for use only by the two of us (my wife and me) - so a very antisocial setup. :). The living room TV is set around couches for when friends visit or for casual viewing.

That said, you can set up rear speakers by putting out towards the side of the bed, as far away as possible. Is it ideal? No. But it will do a decent enough job with providing some rear effects (far better than none). Height speakers - you can also mount them on the side wall and have them pointing downwards and slightly angled towards you. Again, not ideal but also good enough to get the job done.

Another option to consider is one of the higher-end soundbars with upfiring and side firing speakers, and a couple of smaller units to put on the back. Let DSP do the heavy lifting.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back