7w class A DIY amplifier with ACA output stage

Kannan_madhu

I wanted to try the ACA for a long time but couldn’t get those JFETs used in the input stage or the asking price for them is too high. So I asked a friend Mr. Joshi Liadel if he could change the input stage transistors to something available locally. He modified the schematics to use BC series of transistors in the input stage. So here is a simple-to-build class A amplifier with the aca output stage, although its sound signature may not be like pass ACA this one sounds nice.

I did this PCB layout in easyeda . If someone wants to try this one I will upload the pdf for home etching.
327630531_691616699176752_3090240859637727300_n.jpg
1676176985870.png

1676177027538.png

I wanted to try the ACA for a long time but couldn’t get those JFETs used in the input stage or the asking price for them is too high. So I asked a friend Mr. Joshi Liadel if he could change the input stage transistors to something available locally. He modified the schematics to use BC series of transistors in the input stage. So here is a simple-to-build class A amplifier with the aca output stage, although its sound signature may not be like pass ACA this one sounds nice.

I did this PCB layout in easyeda . If someone wants to try this one I will upload the pdf for home etching.
327630531_691616699176752_3090240859637727300_n.jpg
View attachment 75162

View attachment 75163
Nice! You should post this on DIYA. Lot's of very smart folks there for suggestions and critiques. Who knows - you might have a winner!

A respectful question :

As with the entry-level ACA, what happens when you send the lowest signal level through a 10 uF electrolytic cap, and the highest signal level, at the output, through a 4,700 uF electrolytic cap ??

And - you also apply out-of-time global negative feedback from the output stage, backwards to the input stage - to boot. ?

What sort of ultimate-level fidelity ...... can you achieve??

Will " good enough " be long-term OK for you ??

Jeff Medwin

Last edited:
"As with the entry-level ACA, what happens when you send the lowest signal level through a 10 uF electrolytic cap, and the highest signal level, at the output, through a 4,700 uF electrolytic cap ?? "

Mr. Medwin, I am not a designer I have only basic knowledge about electronics so could you explain what happens in this situation?

"What sort of ultimate-level fidelity ...... can you achieve?? "
Can ultimate fidelity be achieved with such a simple design? to my understanding, Nelson Pass created the ACA design for beginners who needs a simple and easy amp to build. And i doubt someone will use ACA as their ultimate amp.

no, could you suggest some solid-state designs which have few components like this, are easy to build, uses simple ps, and offers ultimate fidelity?

"As with the entry-level ACA, what happens when you send the lowest signal level through a 10 uF electrolytic cap, and the highest signal level, at the output, through a 4,700 uF electrolytic cap ?? "

Mr. Medwin, I am not a designer I have only basic knowledge about electronics so could you explain what happens in this situation?

Capacitors, fidelity wise, are probably the worse part in audio, to send an in-series signal through. The worse sounding, most harmful capacitors, are electrolytics. Films are usually much better, but they are limited in their uF size, and a less than ideal compromise when placed in - series with the signal. Avoid them, when ever possible.

There today ARE higher quality electrolytics made, specifically to tackle in-series applications. But the very best of these, will have a hard time sounding natural, VS a good film, or a well executed multiple-value conglomeration of film capacitors.

SO Kannan........... the very best answer to this is NOT to employ any in-series capacitors in a design, if possible, be it a film OR worse, any electrolytic.

The ideal is called Direct Coupling, a short piece of highest - quality wire connecting the amplified signals, which will exhibit the least degrade, and maintain the most intact naturalness of the music's signal. Got that ??

( I personally do this with two - stage directly- coupled low power tube amplifiers, I design and build - mostly for myself. )

"What sort of ultimate-level fidelity ...... can you achieve?? "

Easily, the best reproduced sound you will have ever experienced, not perfect, but jaw dropping. The REAL test is the amp being, not boring, but mentally-stimulating long-term.

Can ultimate fidelity be achieved with such a simple design?

No, never with solid state and simplicity.

Extra care and design-thought must be applied to an entire design. THE most important aspect of any design is how well the Power Supply, feeding voltages to the different stages in the amp, is designed and executed. Most amps do severely falter, right there.
to my understanding, Nelson Pass created the ACA design for beginners who needs a simple and easy amp to build. And i doubt someone will use ACA as their ultimate amp.
Agreed. But for me, since my first all-triode amp's design in 1980-1982, I have always tried to build an ultimate amp. It has always been " a goal ", even if I have no formal E.E. background !!!
no, could you suggest some solid-state designs which have few components like this, are easy to build, uses simple ps, and offers ultimate fidelity?

Sadly, NO. It does not exist. In life, we should not ever expect to get something for nothing !!!

My first Audio Mentor in 1980 once taught me : " Jeffrey, in the end, we all listen to a music-modulated power supply. How good is it ?? " Besides the power supply, the amp can not use Negative Feedback. ONLY then, do you stand a chance for listening excellence.

But know this : the better zero NFB solid state amps, as reported to me by their owner, eg: a Nelson Pass zero NFB SIT3, is beaten badly I am told, by my DIY tube amp execution. A design I've detailed here on HFV already. Performance - counts !

There is not a solid state amp I have personal experience with that I can recommend, that I can afford, and that I would employ.

Jeff Medwin

Last edited:
No, never with solid state and simplicity.
Hope you understand the context here, this one is a good amp for beginners in DIY .This requires only commonly available components , and its not a complicated schematics. A strip or dotted board, will sufficient to build this and cost-wise it's very economical.
Not all can afford /source or build a tube amp or a complex ss .

This is something like suggesting a cycle for someone who is learning to ride. I don't think it will be wise to suggest a carbon frame carbon wheelset and wireless shifter S-Works Venge ViAS to them.

Last edited:
This is something like suggesting a cycle for someone who is learning to ride. I don't think it will be wise to suggest a carbon frame carbon wheelset and wireless shifter S-Works Venge ViAS to them.
I think a closer analogy would be a unicycle or penny farthing, both of which are extremely minimalist

Kannan, great job. Would love to hear it someday. I am sure this will benefit many and keep an iconic design within the reach of many.
Just sad to see it descending into chaos like some other threads. Which is extremely likely as soon as one other gentleman starts to respond to some of the above posts.

Good job @Kannan_madhu .

I use a pair of ACA (built from full kits from Pass) running as bridged mono and they sound decent to me on my Klipsch Heresy III or Lii F6 on a carboard OB. It is nice to see ACA modified with commonly available components.

No amp in the world can match the singer or orchestra playing in front of you and without any amplification - just bare ears

For heat sinks, need to check in h/w or aluminium works shops , for example in Chennai we have parrys area where we have industrial / metal works shops etc available, where we may get aluminium heat sinks..
there are some in Royapettah also. I think there is one Akash Heat Sinks, 9975068217....this was some years back, so not sure.

For my ACA I got it from a shop in Ritchie street the lane behind Kadhi Craft. But later I find many shops had, you just have to look for shop with DIY amp boxes.

IMG_20230318_145819.jpg in place of yellow pcbs diy guys can make k-silk screen(k for my name). See the procedure in diy segment for this

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back