91 posts for selling here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jammyr

I have been user of this forum for 5 years at least. I mostly read and don't get time to write. And I need 91 posts to post a sale thread.? I don't even know how much i reached. I have somethings to sell, but I can't :(

it was an english error... Mostly, I read and don't get time to write

My audio/ video requirements are not that great.. so I chose to read whatever is relevant to me and ignore the rest.. as simple as that

Yes, these rules are laid for the best interests of all the forum members and it fits fine. This isn't olx quicker. You have to be active and possibly contribute to the forum to have the privilege of selling on here.

i wish it were 199 instead of 99..

A newly joined FM huffed and puffed his way to 99 posts to post a sale thread for an AVR....

His 100th post was this sale thread i guess.

hello
welcome to the forum
congratulations..
nice thread..

....there.... 4 posts already..

imagine doing 99 and then imagine doing 199

I think 199 will be a good entry barrier for those who want to only post sale ads..

;)

And added to 199 should be a CAPTCHA each time.. any post less than 12 words are written.. to prove the newbie aint a robot.. :eek:

maybe AAdhar card too..

serious suggestions these are

regards
mpw

:))

Posts like "welcome to the forum", "great job", "thanks...", "Looks great" etc shud not be considered as posts and deleted immediately thereby reducing the count.
Many new joiners are resorting to this route.
The avr post shud actually be deleted as it's clearly an undesired route taken. Just my 2 cents.

I have been user of this forum for 5 years at least. I mostly read and don't get time to write. And I need 91 posts to post a sale thread.? I don't even know how much i reached. I have somethings to sell, but I can't :(

Can understand your plight. The new rule could impede FMs like you who have been old members and regular readers, but didn’t post much from selling. But you’d understand that the moderators had to have some rule to prevent the forum being misused by professional sellers/resellers under the disguise of membership. They cannot possibly track how often you visited and read, but posts are auto-counted - so easier to base the rule upon.

On a different note, the forum thrives on contributions in terms of posts and comments by its members. Even if you don’t have needs to buy AV, you can always share your experiences and knowledge with others through posts.

This rule is all very reasonable but if a Steve Hoffman or a Rahman joins this forum will you still hold then to it. It definitely is a turn off for newcomers.

And it's also silly to take for granted that just because a post contains a lot of words it's either informative or insightful.

There is OLX available too...no such rules

Newcomers interested in only hawking their wares can go there
Edit:
I see your post count is 24..

Need another 75...

Last edited by a moderator:
Imho, please see it from perspective of main objective of this forum. Main objective is to have a community that is sharing information, knowledge and passion for Audio. Selling / Buying is just a 'value add feature' for the community. There must have been some serious transgressions in the past forcing moderators to apply this rule. One can always use other public platforms for selling and I am sure many of us do visit them as well regularly looking for good deals.

It was already clearly stated that buying and selling was at your own risk. Now there is a list of every type of fraud under the sun which makes it basically impossible for anyone to buy or sell with any kind of confidence.

Any kind of engagement, even if it's just a "Like" has value. The more people engage the better for the forum. If people like selling and buying that's not something to be discouraged. Nobody expects protection from a forum just as they don't expect a newspaper to protect them from fraud in the classifieds. There will always be some bad apples, this is after all the internet. That doesnt mean that the whole tone of the forum should turn hostile.

@jammyr and @Jpereira have made two valid suggestions - about age of membership and number of likes (I’d add - including time period distribution of the likes) as two possible additional “or” criteria. Moderators could evaluate the inclusion. Also, I don’t think it’s realistic to expect moderators to go through posts and evaluate their quality/genuineness. Whatever criteria have to emerge have to be automatable. And there could be an exception processing that could be left to the judgment of the moderators.

That doesnt mean that the whole tone of the forum should turn hostile.

Not hostile, just protective.

Nobody expects protection from a forum just as they don't expect a newspaper to protect them from fraud in the classifieds.

Most of us would see the forum analogous to a more personal close network of hobbyists than an impersonal newspaper/OLX audience.

Now there is a list of every type of fraud under the sun which makes it basically impossible for anyone to buy or sell with any kind of confidence.

Sounds like an over-generalisation. Firstly, there’s no limit for buyers. Secondly, despite the new rules there are a lot of ‘for sale’ postings today. I daresay the increase in confidence and quality of deals will only help more members buy/sell on the forum, not less.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rule is to weed out Dealers. Dealers usually are useless at contributing to the forum or posting anything meaningful.

It is to discourage such dealers, who start selling from get go, in turn protecting the members indirectly.

I am with stricter rules on post count. Newbie posts to be moderated and approved before becoming public. All posts under 20 words to be rejected right away. Posts more than 20 to be deleted by mod if found not contributing to the forum. Multiple posts not allowed back to back. Just to name a few.

Would be nice if the OP contributed in any way to the forum over the years, gave back to forum in return of what ever learnt and not crib now just because he has something to sell and cannot because of post count.

Just my ₹2. Rules are anyways clear, don't know why are we even discussing this.

MaSh

i wish it were 199 instead of 99..

A newly joined FM huffed and puffed his way to 99 posts to post a sale thread for an AVR....

His 100th post was this sale thread i guess.

hello
welcome to the forum
congratulations..
nice thread..

....there.... 4 posts already..

imagine doing 99 and then imagine doing 199

I think 199 will be a good entry barrier for those who want to only post sale ads..

;)

And added to 199 should be a CAPTCHA each time.. any post less than 12 words are written.. to prove the newbie aint a robot.. :eek:

maybe AAdhar card too..

serious suggestions these are

regards
mpw

:))
I noticed 2 FMs doing that. Noticed one guy has managed to post ad already. The other FM is still making progress. I hope these don't turn out into dealers.

Buying and selling on the forum is risky. It is a question of trust which we place blindly in fellow members. I remember selling my ps3 a couple of years back to someone in kochi. That person placed a lot of trust in me because I was a forum member and transferred money in advance. Likewise I have picked up items and paid without bothering about anything. Somewhere there is an implicit trust in a fellow hifivision member. Hence the stricter the rules the better- imho. On OLX I can never dream of buying anything expensive remotely.

You can always post about 50 posts in one night like this guy here
Then in the morning you can make a sale post complete with exclamation marks to announce your sale.

Looks like mpw is right ... we probably need to increase the post count to 199!!

I probably agree. If possible please implement a age rule too, minimum age of HFV membership to be 1 year old before being eligible to post in the FOR SALE section.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back