A decent SFX power supply for my HTPC

gazal

I bought a Zebronics Flair cabinet for my HTPC (no PSU was included). I've assembled all other components:

Intel G630
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6570
An older HDD and DVD-RW drive from a previous build.

Only thing missing is the power supply :p
The cabinet can only take an SFX power supply.
And I couldn't get one of those locally.

I've found two options:
FSP 80 PLUS Certified 300-Watt Micro ATX/SFX Power Supply FSP300-60GHS-R | eBay
Silverstone ST45SF 450 watts SFX form factor power supply | eBay

Both are quite pricey considering there are good ATX PSUs out there for <3K. Are there other options?

somebody? anybody? kabadi?

The choices for sfx in local market are limited. The above suggestions are typical of what I stumbled upon when I was looking for one a few years back. Ended up never buying it though.

-g0bble

And is a good PSU really worth 4k-6k. The one's that I've mentioned that is.

In all of my previous PCs I'm used to getting the < 1k PSU that comes along with the case. Of course I've read up enough to know now that those PSUs are definitely too cheap.

I bought a Zebronics Flair cabinet for my HTPC (no PSU was included). I've assembled all other components:

Intel G630
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6570
An older HDD and DVD-RW drive from a previous build.

Only thing missing is the power supply :p
The cabinet can only take an SFX power supply.
And I couldn't get one of those locally.

I've found two options:
FSP 80 PLUS Certified 300-Watt Micro ATX/SFX Power Supply FSP300-60GHS-R | eBay
Silverstone ST45SF 450 watts SFX form factor power supply | eBay

Both are quite pricey considering there are good ATX PSUs out there for <3K. Are there other options?

Which case do you have? Why not buy a new case and a proper ATX power supply? If you are on a budget, iBall will sell you a case and a power supply for under 2k.

Which case do you have? Why not buy a new case and a proper ATX power supply? If you are on a budget, iBall will sell you a case and a power supply for under 2k.

Its not that I'm on a budget really. I suppose it is a very Indian trait that we don't want to spend more than we need to. If we could get that 5% discount we'd take it :)

I have seen the iBall cases and I'm happy with the Zebronics flair case that I got. I know zebronics isn't anywhere near the league of say a silverstone. But the case is fine.

But the choice of power supply is different. Don't exactly want to be cheap there. I want the HTPC to be power efficient and silent.

Now I've found another one:
SPARKLE FSP200-50SNV 200W SFX12V Power Supply (Rs. 3223)

This one's only 200W, but my HTPC might only need that much. Any opinions on that?

Didn't even know about japanese caps till you mentioned it. (thats ofcourse when I googled it)

Anyway, it took enough time as it is to hunt down a seemingly decent SFX PSU at a reasonable price. I don't think I could've spent anymore time to find one with japanese caps :)

Now please don't disappoint me with a link to a PSU with japanese caps which is around the same price as the PSU I just ordered. What's been done has been done :)

Next time I suppose I will go with one that has japanese caps.

But with your Radeon, shouldnt you have gone for something higher - like 400W to account for another HDD that you might add later ?

My suggestion would be do not go with the case+psu rather just get the case and go with a good quality corsair or cooler master for your needs. The case with PSU will be of very bad quality.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back