A fairly long question - Pls help

pupupuchi28

I will try to keep it short but given the confusion I'm into, I might end up with a long question.

I have the following:
- A desktop PC Intel Pentium IV, 2.66 ghz, 1.5 GB DDR1, DVD Drive (CD writer), Samsung 17" LCD, 80 GB solid state HD
- 500 gb Seagate external hard drive, I have loads of movies (Non HD) in my hard drive. Shall purchase a 2TB storage for HD movies.
- Yamaha RZ V371
- LG DVD Player (5.1, no optical out, but Digital Coaxial is available)
- A conventional TV. Shall upgrade to HD LCD panel soon.
- A laptop with HDMI port (didn't bother to check the config as it belongs to office)

Since I dont have a Audio / graphics card in the PC, therefore I cannot watch the movies from hard drive / PC. I'm looking for a interface through which I can see the movies from hard drive. I dont need 3D compatibility however I would like to have HD, for future use.

The PC is reasonably old and makes noise from the PSU, so I have keept it in bed room.

Assuming I have Rs 8k to spare, what would you suggest.
1) A Media player - Please specify which one would suit me. Will these upscale my current stock of VCD / DVD movies. I dont need internet conectivity. I guess, I would still need a BDP for disc based content to be played.

2) A BDP with usb port - I'm afraid of it not being future proof. Which ones should I get. Will the USB port suppport fair # of video formats.

3) Modify the PC with Audio / Graphics Card - This damn thing has got 450w power supply, so that a cons for it. Is it advisable to connect it to the AVR via long (50ft) wire (HDMI / RCA / Composite or whatever), given that I cannot use it near AVR/Speakers, for noise. Last time when I changed the PSU, the hardware guy said I cannot install a HD video card as the mother board would not support. Can you tell me what should I look for compatibility of HD Video Cards / Audio Cards. Is there something called Audio Video Card, if PC can be used as a source for music.

4) Get a cheap HDMI cable and connect USB > Laptop > AVR. The AVR manual says, if the input is through HDMI then the video output should be HDMI. I'm not sure if the it would output via composite video, if connected to laptop via HDMI.

The priority is to get the best video quality possible at the lowest price possible. I'm not going to use it for music, but a good quality sound for movie is desirable.

Inform me if you need any more input.

Se as I mentioned, I'm into a pile of confusion :sad: :eek:

8 k in that setup and you will end up with more problems for the proc is still vintage now and ddr1 will be slow to play 1080p without lag...

grahics card will help however hardware should be in sync with each other. looking at the combo it might not even have a pci-e slot..maybe a AGP ..if a pci then might be the version 1. that will not be able to harness the capacity of your shiny new GPU if you add one and the FSB of the whole system will be too low for the use you are expecting. again you will need a better PSU that itself will set you back by 3-4k..

rather leave the PC as it is and get your self a hassle free media player and connect your external HDD and get optical out for audio to enjoy DTS.

+1 to asus o play mini. (does not have networking )

rest save the cash for some time. get a 2 TB hdd after some time when the prices fall.

Ya, matbhuvi and ironhorse are correct. Leave PC and Lappy alone and get a HD media player.

Asus o! play or anything that is available in your local market and suits your budget will be good. As all the D/A conversion will be done by your TV and AVR, so the player doesn't really matters. Just bother to see the audio/video supported format of the HD media player. And the build quality for longevity.

Let us know your purchase.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back