A few tweaks that have worked for me

prem

I thought i would share a few tweaks that have worked for me

1. Indian rosewood cube of 1 cm with two 1 mm holes drilled through and through on on side and one 1 mm hole drilled through and through another side. That leaves two side with no holes. Use one of these sides and affix the cube to any window pane or glass on a showcase or a mirror in the room or a glass picture frame with blutack. The side having two holes should face upwards. Affix the cube preferably to one of the corners of the glass. Try all four corners to see which sounds better. You will hear more harmonics and much more clarity. The rosewood cube tames the reflections of the glass and improves mid bass timing. Cost for 12 of these is less than Rs 300.

2. Asit mentioned in one of the threads that when he placed a marble slab under his amp, it sounded better. An even better option is using a sandstone slab with a cork sheet underneath the slab. You will be quite amazed by the naturalness and dynamics. This will set you back by about Rs 350.

3. Take a thin glass tumbler or even better would be a wine glass and place it inverted on a table or shelf in your listening room. This will tighten up the bass and add more energy to the music. This one will cost you nothing. The more glasses you use, more the fun.

Have fun trying the tweaks.

ok prem,

i don't know whether you're pulling our leg but am sure gonna try the inverted glass thing when i reach home tonight!

regards

Hi Stevieboy

The inverted glass tumbler works. Try it. Listen to your system for sometime. Get someone to invert a wine glass on some table in your listening space. After a few minutes, remove it. Trust me you will clearly hear the difference. Move the wine glass around. Place it at different points. You will hear differently. Thats because the lower frequencies are converted to higher frequencies by the wine glass. It acts as a resonator. I am kidding you not.

3. Take a thin glass tumbler or even better would be a wine glass and place it inverted on a table or shelf in your listening room.

My apologies Prem, but this was too tempting to let go. Where would the wine in the wine glass go? :) A lot depends on that, right? :)

Just joking.

Cheers

Hi Venkatcr

Good to see humor back on this forum . You obviously hear better once the wine is down your throat. But that will cost a few hundred rupees, the wine, i mean. If you want a free tweak, the inverted wine glass will still work

Hi prem,
some very interesting suggestions you have made. The third point sounds very interesting. I recently made a huge glass dust cover for my turntable which I find can't be used due to its weight. do you think it can be used to enhance the sound instead of the wine glass but it has slight gap in one side so it is not fully covered on all sides.
Thanks.

Hi Mahiruha

I cannot say about the record player glass cover. Never tried it I am not sure if it will work. But why don't you try it? There is nothing to loose. If it has to work the gap at the bottom of your glass cover needs to be closed.

Hi prem,
thanks for the suggestion. Let me give it a go and I will post my impression. Btw what is th maximum number of glasses have you used?
Thanks.

Hi Mahiruha

2 glasses. More than that did not work for me. As i mentioned earlier thinner the glass better it is.

I heard this trick works better when the glass has been filled with Chardonnay of specific vintage. :)

Regards

Hi Gobble

The inverted wine glass trick is to be used once you are finished with your drinks

something seems to be happening but not sure cos if its cos i expect something and i'm way too sleepy today. was quite sleepy in office too.

prem i guess the glasses must be working something like the cups that you used to/still have from that french guy?

regards

Hi Stevieboy

I still use the resonators of Acoustic System. They work very well. One has to really experiment to get the right placement.

As i mentioned earlier the inverted wine glasses do act as resonators. What you are hearing is not a placebo effect. Obviously getting the correct placement of the glass is important.

Hi folks, I myself have tried a few (newbie) tricks.

For eg., placing high density rubber barbell weights like these under the speakers:

RPRR-010.jpg

This was mainly to isolate the sound better. But I guess I was measuring the performance wrong ? I just placed my ear on the table to check on the vibrations but it didn't seem to do much better. Do you think marble will be more effective ?

I thought i would share a few tweaks that have worked for me

1. Indian rosewood cube of 1 cm with two 1 mm holes drilled through and through on on side and one 1 mm hole drilled through and through another side. That leaves two side with no holes. Use one of these sides and affix the cube to any window pane or glass on a showcase or a mirror in the room or a glass picture frame with blutack. The side having two holes should face upwards. Affix the cube preferably to one of the corners of the glass. Try all four corners to see which sounds better. You will hear more harmonics and much more clarity. The rosewood cube tames the reflections of the glass and improves mid bass timing. Cost for 12 of these is less than Rs 300.

I didnt get...

Back