A fully wireless surround sound system?

chander

A friend is converting one of his rooms to a den in Delhi. A bar, a chilling space and a movie setup. He has got an XGimi Aura from the US and wants to put a surround sound system, but doesn't want the pain of separates and wires and setup and audessey or sound treatment and sub crawl and the rest. He has shortlisted Sonos Arc + Rear + Sonos Sub as a no hassle wireless setup, but we were wondering if there is anything else out there which is perhaps better? The requirements are -

1 - Has to be wireless with surround option as a bare minimum.
2 - Should have the option of expansion to height channels if possible. - NOT a mandate, but a nice to have
3 - Budget is extremely flexible.
4 - Should be able to play everything on streaming services - all the codecs etc - no physical media.
5 - Airplay is a must.
6 - Can be brought from US or UK if it isn't available in India.
7 - Music prowess is not a requirement, he has a B&W zeppelin for that :p.
8 - Must be better than Sonos Arc.

As you can see from the requirements - he isn't an audiophile, doesn't want to be, doesn't care if he can hear every single nuanced sound and doesn't care if it is reference level or not. He just wants 'surround effects'. His main sound system in the house is B&O Balance. It is all about the looks, convenience and simplicity!

Anyone?

A friend is converting one of his rooms to a den in Delhi. A bar, a chilling space and a movie setup. He has got an XGimi Aura from the US and wants to put a surround sound system, but doesn't want the pain of separates and wires and setup and audessey or sound treatment and sub crawl and the rest. He has shortlisted Sonos Arc + Rear + Sonos Sub as a no hassle wireless setup, but we were wondering if there is anything else out there which is perhaps better? The requirements are -

2 - Should have the option of expansion to height channels if possible. - NOT a mandate, but a nice to have
4 - Should be able to play everything on streaming services - all the codecs etc - no physical media.
5 - Airplay is a must.

As you can see from the requirements - he isn't an audiophile, doesn't want to be, doesn't care if he can hear every single nuanced sound and doesn't care if it is reference level or not. He just wants 'surround effects'. His main sound system in the house is B&O Balance. It is all about the looks, convenience and simplicity!

Anyone?
You could ask him to check out this model from Bose. I heard it a few days ago and from what I understand reading you post, this should suit quite well. There is a similar one from Sony too, however, not sure how that is.

Bose Smart Soundbar 900

MaSh

Besides the Bose MaSH suggested above, and the shortlisted Sonos set up, you could also try these:
1. Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2.4Ch (Was considering this actively when I was caught in two minds on whether to go bar + surrounds; came highly recommened by two friends who have used them abroad)
2. The Klipsch Cinema 1200 (the 2021 flagship of their Cinema series - I heard the earlier Gen bar + surrounds in a big showroom and was blown away; performed as good as the Klipsch on-walls)
3. There are quite a few competent JBL wireless systems, too.
4. His fav B&O also has an Atmos in a bar item available - i think Beosound...

Will suggest other wireless satellites if I remember.

Also, whichever option your friend chooses, always better to source these in the US. Fairly easier to carry than conventional speakers, and way way cheaper. They also have some amazing offers at certain times of the year if he is willing to wait it out.

All the best

5 - Airplay is a must.

Anyone?
Klipsch have these wireless option HT speaker system upto 7.1( around 5 years back,I have seen in an AV expo at Chennai). However power cables need to be done for powering the speakers.
Just explore it on their website .you can get some info.

Thank you for your suggestions - @k-pad , @MaSh & @RajithKumar
1 - Klipsch is on the cards for sure - but the reports on the app being a dud is a major deterrent. The app is apparently as good as a place holder.
2 - Ambeo was promising too, but no way to add surrounds. I personally love Ambeo in this space, but no wireless sub, no surrounds made it a no-option. If Ambeo supported surrounds & height (I know you can add a sub), I would personally ditch my own HT setup and get it in an instant.
2 - No support for sub/surrounds is the same reason B&O was out too.
3 - Bose looks interesting.

Anything else?

Thanks!

1 - Klipsch is on the cards for sure - but the reports on the app being a dud is a major deterrent. The app is apparently as good as a place holder.
Yes, the app was cumbersome in the earlier gen.

But from the online reviews I saw, the latest app is pretty good and the EQ options are good too, apparently.

Will add other options for sure.
Regards

Yes, the app was cumbersome in the earlier gen.

But from the online reviews I saw, the latest app is pretty good and the EQ options are good too, apparently.

Will add other options for sure.
Regards
I have used Bose and Sonos. Sonos present generation of equipment is very good.

Recently I heard - KEF LS50 Wireless II must say it was a great sounding system and as the name as it was wireless. Design is sleek too. It has streaming from any source thanks to wireless compatibility with AirPlay 2, Chromecast and more, plus wired connections for your TV, games console and turntable.

It is available with in India.

Recently I heard - KEF LS50 Wireless II must say it was a great sounding system and as the name as it was wireless. Design is sleek too. It has streaming from any source thanks to wireless compatibility with AirPlay 2, Chromecast and more, plus wired connections for your TV, games console and turntable.

It is available with in India.
Can these be used as wireless surround speakers?

MaSh

Yes, They can be - Good for complete surround sound home theater or stereo setup.

Only if you are looking for a receiver based surround system than these speaker won't be a good choice.
Can these be used as wireless surround speakers?

MaSh

KEF LS-50 II has a plethora of input options and covers all streaming formats on the earth. However, it is a stereo system as per the manual. It was on my radar before I settled to build a pair of Am Camp Amps.

KEF LS 50 II.jpg

For a music cum movie Sonos, Klipsch and the rest seem to be the ones to look for.

Not sure of JBL Citation series can work for movies as a surround system. They sounded good when I heard. There was no need of a sub with their floor standers ( but wireless).

I have got the WISA based Platin Monaco 5.1 fully wireless 5.1 speakers system with Dolby atmos. It is fantastic for my requiremenets been using since 6 months and never ever faced any lag, delay or sync issues. Will post a detaield review soon . They have got authorized dealers in banagalore and Chennai. Extremely happy with this purchase

5 - Airplay is a must.

Anyone?
Audition this :-
JBL Bar 9.1, True Wireless Surround Home Theatre with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X 3D Sound, 9.1 Channel, 4K Ultra HD Pass-Through with Dolby Vision, HDMI ARC, Bluetooth, Built-in Chromecast & AirPlay 2 (820W) https://amzn.eu/d/56xE1re
Regards

Hey Chander,

Sonos all the way. Have tried the Bose as well but for me it was Sonos in a heartbeat.
Have a lot of their products S1 for over a decade and S2 for the past 2 years and they have never let me down. App is fantastic too!
Support as well is spot on if you ever need it.
I could help you as well with some great pricing if you’d be interested. Can connect you to my guy!

Cheers!

Thanks everyone for your help. This is an old thread and clearly I forgot to close it out.
Sonos is what was eventually bought - Sonos Arc + S1 + Sonos Sub. He is pretty happy with his purchase :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back