A good Subwoofer to add to my system

Anands123

HI
My system comprises of an ARCAM AVR 400, B & W CM series towers, CM Center, and CM1 surrounds. I have a REL T1 subwoofer. I play blu rays via Oppo BDP.

i feel the REL is not sufficient for movies to give the right base feel. Can you please recommend a better subwoofer that I can buy in Mumbai to add to my system? Thanks!

Anand,

REL Produces good SW , So before you decide on the upgrade,Just have a check on the SW sep-up in AVR, Positioning the SW etc.

The Big brands for SW is HSU and SVS you could try their Models.

Even we spend One Lakh on the Sub for 20*20 room we may end up as saying "Not Enough",If the Positioning is not apt.

I have experienced personally, even the Furniture in the room might impact the performance of the SW.

Thank you all for the responses. My Rel T1 is the absolute entry level sub from REL but I do agree I might be doing something wrong with settings or placement.

My room, like most Mumbai halls is a rectangle divided equally into dining and living. The dimensions for the living would ne 15 by 12 feet and same for the dining on the other side. There are large french windows on the right side of the sitting area and open (dining area) on the left side. The system is placed in front of the wall opposite the sofa and the sub-woofer is placed in front of the wall right next to the left tower.

On the subwoofer level settings, I tried running the Room EQ calibration on Arcam, but the settings were very flat and I did not like it. So, I have done my own claibration. The subwoofer has the LFE input as well as the line level inputs that share the same terminals as the L & R speakers. I don't believe my calibration is right and will try tinkering around some more.

Appreciate any suggestions you might have in the mean time.

Hi,
What do you have CM 9 /7? Cause for CM9 your sub is no match, it will not have any big presence. I would recommend some thing next level in REL itself.

I use B&W 800 series package after so many subs settled with REL Studio III the real kind of monster. My god it brings the war field right in to the middle of my living room with out single murmur of my window panes, doors etc., and no chest pounding but clean, clear, rounded bass where you will find your the total air column in the room is moving.

Try to get if possible any REL's ST series subs. For your set up even anything from R305 should do justice.

BTW don't do Arcam's calibration its use less. I had AVR 600 as a receiver its great but not good for room correction.

you can just see my thread my home theatre hourney.

http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/47854-my-home-theater-journey.html

Balagopalan

On the subwoofer level settings, I tried running the Room EQ calibration on Arcam, but the settings were very flat and I did not like it.
You can try changing SW cable first.It makes difference.I can certainly hear in my system.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back