A happy learning: Shifting my HT setup from a bigger hall to a smaller room

Naveenbnc

Hello All,

I was a bit unhappy with my HT setup from the beginning. The trebles are not punchy, and bass is just ok but not very satisfactory. I kept on tweaking all the avr setting, but still disappointed. I was in a dilemma to change the avr or the entire speaker setup.

I shifted my setup to a smaller room (10x12 may be) just for a change.
I couldn't believe my ears. There is a huge improvement in sound quality. The trebles and bass are awesome. I didn't expect such a change. :yahoo:

Earlier I used my setup in a 11x21 hall with an additional 11x12 open area for dining. Windows are usually open, and the kitchen entry is also open from the hall.

I moved my AVR and two Floorstanders to a smaller room. And the result is just great !!!
Only two floor standers sounded much more powerful and punchy, than my whole 5.0 in a bigger hall.
Music clarity and details has great improvement :eek:hyeah:

After nearly one year of disappointment, now I felt my setup is a VFM in that budget!!!
Now adding a sub will be overkill for that room. But I will do that.

(For information, I am using the avr from yht196+5.0 taga tav 606 SE.)
I hope this info can be useful for some new people atleast, and they can try out this trick.

Regards,
Naveen

Last edited:
You can try an integrated amp instead to see the depth of those speakers.
May be a mid to high level AVR can drive the floor stands to their full potential.
Any entry-level integrated amp can give a lot power and show so much difference than the entry-level AVR for floor stands.
I have Denon AVR which is very weak and dull with wharfedale floor stands where as Marantz pm5004 played them on the whole different level.
Infact My Norge 1000 gold is very good with them.
Bass needs extra muscle which would not be available with low end AVR.

Other way around would be a good book shelves with a sub on the existing AVR.Since floor stands need extra muscle as I said above.

All the best for your upgrade.

Last edited:
Upgrade your setup with a mid to high end one then you will able to see a good depth and transparency in the sound. I have also had a similar kind of experience once I moved my setup to a dedicated room. It takes you to a new level of experience. Soon you will start to forget the commercial theaters around you..

thanks a lot for you suggestions guys !!!

For a change, instead of going for a commercial sterio amp, I am getting a 250W amp custom made by our forum member ANIKET. It can be used as a full range sterio amp or a mono amp to drive a 12" sub.

The amp is made, and it will be delivered to me soon... eagerly waiting and excited :yahoo:

Hi

Congrats on the new custom made amp....Aniket is very knowledgeable and helpful. I am sure it will be a rocking experience.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back