A little observation on auditions and file quality

Naveenbnc

Hi guys....we all search desparately for audition in our cities before buying AVR or speakers etc.
Till we buy something, our mind is filled with thousand questions.

I have some 20 to 30 blueray rip movies in which 4 or 5 movies are excellent in audio, and some of the remaining are just ok. These 4 or 5 movies always put Wow factor, while the remaining movies won't.

Same is the case with music. Out of all the songs I have, some are excellent. Some are just good, even though they are Flac or 320kbps MP3.

So the point is, the file quality that we are playing is also very important. The same AVR can sound excellent or just ok based on the file quality you are playing.

Secondly, if I play music through windows media player, with a little adjustment in equaliser settings we can bring out a good amount of difference in sound quality. Mostly we can't do it in auditions.

Third is the room acoustics. It can make a world of difference. My system sounded like crap in my hall, and the same sounded wonderful in a small room.

So there are so many factors that can make the same system sound good or bad. Having said that, audition still gives a personal satisfaction. No dout about it.

Everything I purchased so far, I did it without any audition, buy I'm lucky enough that none of them are a disappointment.

A good file quality, proper settings, proper room acoustics will give a minimum guarantee for an enjoyable experience.

At this point I just wonder most of the reputed brands will be just fine. If audition is not possible, still it's ok to get a well reviewed product. Definitely there will be a sound signature difference between different products. But nothing will sound too disappointing if it is set properly.

Right now I'm really enjoying my Yamaha AVR. But I would not have bought it if I listen it playing some files that are not of good-quality.

Just my opinion till date..

Hi Naveenbnc,
Can you please share about the combination of Yamaha RXV 681 + Taga TAV 606SE and Yamaha RXV 681 + Taga Platinum One

Both combinations are very nice. No need to keep any douts. Both are value for money.
Hope you are aware, Platinum one is only two bookshelfs Left and right. Tav606se is a complete 5.0 package.

FOR 2.0 or 2.1 MUSIC:
Platinum One bookshelf has "more clarity" in music compared to towers in tav606se.
While the towers in Tav606se has little more power and punch, even if you use platinum one with a sub.
At very high volumes, platinum one tends to feel little uncomfortable compared to towers.
But you won't listen at very high volumes any way. And unless you compare them side by side, you wont notice it.

FOR MOVIES:
you can not judge platinum one in isolation because movie are always 5.0 or 5.1 minimum.
So the combination of PlatinumOne+C90SL+S90SL+Sub is better than Tav606SE+Sub.

But don't underestimate TAV606SE. They are awesome for their price. They can go very loud without distortion.
Along with a sub, they are just awesome for their price. For a room size or around 12x15 they are more than enough for the price.

Both combinations are very nice. No need to keep any douts. Both are value for money.
Hope you are aware, Platinum one is only two bookshelfs Left and right. Tav606se is a complete 5.0 package.

FOR 2.0 or 2.1 MUSIC:
Platinum One bookshelf has "more clarity" in music compared to towers in tav606se.
While the towers in Tav606se has little more power and punch, even if you use platinum one with a sub.
At very high volumes, platinum one tends to feel little uncomfortable compared to towers.
But you won't listen at very high volumes any way. And unless you compare them side by side, you wont notice it.

FOR MOVIES:
you can not judge platinum one in isolation because movie are always 5.0 or 5.1 minimum.
So the combination of PlatinumOne+C90SL+S90SL+Sub is better than Tav606SE+Sub.

But don't underestimate TAV606SE. They are awesome for their price. They can go very loud without distortion.
Along with a sub, they are just awesome for their price. For a room size or around 12x15 they are more than enough for the price.
Thanks for the info. Currently I am using Sony BDV E3100 HT and planning to upgrade to Yamaha AVR RX583 or RX 683 with Taga TAV606SE.
I am hoping for a huge SQ difference then what I am using now.

Hey guys... Let me add... As I said, most of the avrs and speakers work well for their budget. But if you are building a high end system with pre amp, tube amp, power amp, dac and all that stuff...and spending a lot of money... going ahead without audition is suicidal :eek::eek::eek: This I understood after experiencing our fm Sajjad's system. For such complex system, everything starting from cables should be well planned, and everything should match well.

Hey guys... Let me add... As I said, most of the avrs and speakers work well for their budget. But if you are building a high end system with pre amp, tube amp, power amp, dac and all that stuff...and spending a lot of money... going ahead without audition is suicidal :eek::eek::eek: This I understood after experiencing our fm Sajjad's system. For such complex system, everything starting from cables should be well planned, and everything should match well.
Can you elaborate on Sajjad's setup?
Thanks
Also his handle unless he wishes to remain anonymous.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back