A Must upgrade for a high end System - Spatial Computer

odyssey

Folks
We turned this up at our showroom a week back. While this correction can be done for any speaker, we chose to start doing this on the Emerald Physics CS3 and later expand it to traditional box speakers like the Usher Dancer series.
In my last 15 years in this hobby, I have never, I mean never come across such a big improvement in overall sound for this price. In fact, I would even go on to say that I would now recommend provided the hard drive approach makes sense for anyone - that they have to go this route if it means spending an additional $3K. No amp, no speaker or source upgrade can give this improvement.

Here is what Srajan (6moons) had to say about this -
from 6moons audio reviews: Spatial/Emerald Physics System Review

" I'll go as far as saying that anyone spending the $3.000 on this softwarepackaged as it is with the necessary microphone and priceless setup consultationwill make the very best $3K investment anyone could at present possibly make anywhere in audio"

The improvement has been across the board - imaging, soundstage, sound signature, bass quality (which was already phenomenal on this speaker to start with has now gone to another level), speakers disappear completely, the mid range and treble now sound like they come from a high end audio driver (not a professional speaker/driver).

Whether you are interested in going with this approach or not, it is a must hear for anyone in this hobby as an eye opener in terms of what this type of correction can do.

Spatial Computer Website

cheers
Sridhar

Hi Sridhar,

Would you be able to pst some worrds on what it does and how? From what I see it is ony for Computer based playback..am i right ?

Hi Arj
the information you are asking is available here

Why

just look at the pages labelled "why" and "how".

Better still you are welcome to swing by and hear the Spatial system with the Emerald Physics CS3 speakers in our showroom...:D

I am not talking changes/improvements that can be made with cables, isolation platforms, power supplies, etc, I am talking about a fundamental necessity to have something like this in any mid-end system onwards.

If something isn't clear, pls feel free to ask...

cheers

Hi sridhar,
Thanks for the link. From my understanding this is only applicable for Computer based transport.
I would like to understand this point below, if possible.
No sonic penalty - The correction algorithm is applied to the digital music file directly with 64 bit accuracy, eliminating the quality degradation associated with outboard processors and cables.
Do correct me if i got the below wrong
- Does this mean that the digital music content will be altered ?
- Does the S/w automatically keepa backup of the original file or do i need to do that separately
- Finally in case in make any changes to my room/placement/components do the new changes need to be reapplied to the original file or will it do a delta on the changed one ?

Hi Arj
see answers inline

Do correct me if i got the below wrong
- Does this mean that the digital music content will be altered ?
[sridhar] - yes, think of it as a profile based on your room, speakers, placement, listening position, etc This profile is applied on the fly when the music file is played. THe original is left intact - the original is not altered in any way
- Does the S/w automatically keepa backup of the original file or do i need to do that separately
[sridhar] - NA
- Finally in case in make any changes to my room/placement/components do the new changes need to be reapplied to the original file or will it do a delta on the changed one ?
[Sridhar] - Nothing is automated, the automated systems (like DSD, TACT, etc don't work well) - there is a person who is coming up with the profile manually and it is an iterative process between the listener and this person. Components are unlikely to cause big changes (unless its a speaker), placement and room changes will need adjustment of the original profiles but non of them as intensive as the initial one that needs to be done

and yes, it is for playback using a MAC (say a MAC mini) though any DAC of your choice. There are ways to get other sources in but for now that solution is best done through the use of Firewire based DACs.
cheers

I missed listening to this the last time I visited. I think RoC, Sandeep and I will be visiting very soon!

This weekend may not be possible. RoC and I are invited to Jochen's. Will definitely call and set something up.

Forgive me for interupting but I have a S/ES rig that I use with a Nottingham Space Deck and Arm.

If you use the Prism Orpheus/Spatial package which is unfortunately the highest price Spatial system it has an integrated RIAA phono pre that competes with the best. I have the Emerald Physcis 2.7 speakers and it is the best sound I have heard from any system regardless of price. I have a fairly small room 1' X 14' X 10.5' and the acoustic anomilies that plagued me for years are all but eliminated.

It needs to be experienced ...

Best Regards

Hi Cwaldbil

Great to see a post on the Spatial. Its still largely unknown. I didn't quite understand from your post whether you already have it or you plan to get it. You are right in that one can use the phono section of the Orpheus and experience the Spatial. The 2.7s are great speakers, in case you don't have this already in your system, I would highly recommend it. Talk to Clayton, see if he can give you a money back guarantee if you aren't happy with it.

cheers

ok, never mind :)
I just saw your other post where you mention that you have Spatial...
A triamped EP...must be awesome

Hi Cwaldbil

Great to see a post on the Spatial. Its still largely unknown. I didn't quite understand from your post whether you already have it or you plan to get it. You are right in that one can use the phono section of the Orpheus and experience the Spatial. The 2.7s are great speakers, in case you don't have this already in your system, I would highly recommend it. Talk to Clayton, see if he can give you a money back guarantee if you aren't happy with it.

cheers

Sorry to be so late in responding to your post. I do have it and while it was not cheap it is worth every penny. The Orpheus itself is an amazing piece of hardware, when combined with the Spatial system it has, in my mind, no equal. Before when I could convince a non audiophile to take a listen to my setup their response was too often, "nice but how do you justify the money?". I don't get that comment anymore, it really is a revolutionary product. I will tell you this though, I can no longer tell the difference between good digital and analog recordings. All but the worst digital tracks sound fantastic, the best are better by a wide margin than anything I had heard before regardless of price.

This hobby will create a natural skepticism, often the lofty claims fall more than a little short. I found that my expectations were not only realized but they were greatly exceded. The only downside to auditioning this system is that you will never again be satisfied with your current rig.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back