• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

A new amazing Full Range driver, a little Devil with a Huge Punch from 16-17k to 100hz

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers

yogibear

Two months back I was asked to review a full range driver from the Global Sales & Marketing head of a promising upcoming driver manufacturing company. It was a pleasant surprise and I was shipped a pair for free. “My first ever audio gift”. I committed to present my impressions honestly and promptly. After some hectic travelling I finally opened the package and decided to measure them first. Small 6” paper cone full range drivers with whizzer cones and a shiny Al dustcap, they looked beautiful.

Dayton Audio DATS V2 was at work:

91dB, Re6.7, Fs 84, Qts 1.32, Qes 1.7, Qms 5.92, Le 0.126, Mms 6.58, Vas 0.633.

I should have played them first for break in time but I was impatient and wanted to see how would they fit the Open Baffle scene.

Perfect ! Though the TSP imprinted on the rear of the driver was way off. The supplier accepted that too. For the past one year, I have been rolling full range drivers like people roll tubes in their amp. ( may be more than that ) I have had some 10 odd different pairs in my present baffles retrofitting them on the larger baffles. Right from the box, these little drivers sounded amazing and louder than 91dB.

As usual I played them unfiltered and from a Tube 45 SE amp / Dynaco ST35. Bass was assisted by 15” drivers, powered by Solid State crossed at 120hz.

Big sound from small 6” driver, no tweeter needed, very natural sounding vocals both male and female, surprising low end extension and I could not make them shout playing any genre of music.

Recorded on iPhone. The phone mic does distort from the bass vibrations and bass is never well recorded, still you get the impressions of the sonic signature.

Here Tube 45 SE playing:

Dynaco ST35 playing:

I gave them all kind of instruments: guitar, drums, tabla, sitar, violin, saxophone.... and they were excellent ! Lovely vocals too.

Hiten

Nice review. Thanks for sharing. Can you tell which model and brand ? Cost ?
Regards

yogibear

Now the best part !!! I requested special price on the driver. Its $56 shipped to India, PayPal payment preferred. This price is for the first 12 pairs only. 6 pairs have been booked already. 6 pairs are still available at this price. If you are interested, please PM me for the ordering details.

I DO NOT have any commercial interest in the dealings. I will just help you get the discount and you order directly from the supplier. I just want to share this with full range lovers, who would like to have a great start with an OB driver, easily worth 5X your investment. There is no doubt that this driver will excel and make beautiful music in a small single driver Open baffle or a BLH design and even if played by low power Class A or AB amp. It takes a maximum of 10 watts RMS only. It certainly does magic with tube amps !!!

The driver ships from China. I have clips of many more audio recordings, difficult to share them all here.

Last edited:

sandeepmohan

Big sound from small 6” driver, no tweeter needed, very natural sounding vocals both male and female, surprising low end extension and I could not make them shout playing any genre of music.

Isn't that big sound assisted by the presence of a 15" low frequency bass driver?

I for one have not managed to appreciate a speaker design like this. I can live with open baffle bit but single driver implementation isn't my sound. Perhaps it is a personal thing.

What exactly is it that excels with such a design? I've heard the much hyped and proven in the market Rethm's too but somehow could not make peace with them.

yogibear

Isn't that big sound assisted by the presence of a 15" low frequency bass driver?

I for one have not managed to appreciate a speaker design like this. I can live with open baffle bit but single driver implementation isn't my sound. Perhaps it is a personal thing.

What exactly is it that excels with such a design? I've heard the much hyped and proven in the market Rethm's too but somehow could not make peace with them.

Check the croosover point in above. It’s 120hz. Effectively it’s a 2.2 design. The bigger drivers are effectively doing sub bass duty. In my setup it goes from 120hz to 35hz. OB bass is altogether a different experience. Above 120hz, everything is played by the full range driver. You do get an idea of the tonality of the driver from the clips.

I have not heard Rethm so cannot comment.

It’s your choice to go with single driver or 2 way OB and the above FR will excel in both. It’s surely very musical. Imparts a soul to the music.

I personally believe in the simplicity of a setup for true music reproduction, be it the drivers, crossovers (no crossovers in my case) and minimal component line up.

I have played FR as big as 15” in those very baffles and also 12” and 8” so I can fairly compare and share as what this little 6” gem is doing.

Last edited:

Hiten

Thanks yogibear for the offer. Drivers looks like well made. I have yet to decide on DIY SET amplifier (Delayed because of various reasons) will first build amp.
Regards

keith_correa

I don't know if it's due to the quality of recording or amplification but I feel that these lack top end detail and sparkle and the vocals are a little "cupped" sounding.

The drivers are from Lii Audio, right?

Last edited:

yogibear

I don't know if it's due to the quality of recording or amplification but I feel that these lack top end detail and sparkle and the vocals are a little "cupped" sounding.

The drivers are from Lii Audio, right?

iPhone mic distortion coz of bass. Many other tracks sounded great. Top sparkle is fine till 16-17k. Played from Tidal else during more iterations, little equalization helps according to taste.

Yes, I t’s Lii Audio entry level driver but with high Qts. I found it amazing VFM and so others who reviewed it.

How is this compared to Mark Audio and fostex drivers?

Never heard Mark Audio or Fostex personally but many other FRs which I have in my own collection including Betsy, Calrad, Zenith, Goodman’s, R&A, Telefunken, Altec, JBL, Matsushita.

Above was a surprise right out of box.

All 12 pairs ordered for. No more available at this price.

yogibear

I forgot to add website address of the supplier. Please direct all your enquiries to the website and not me. I have no association with the supplier. If you have ordered the F6 driver and have any problems. I can try helping in that case. Thanks.

srinisundar

I would like to try OB as you have done. Kindly suggest the dimension of OB / woofer size for bass section & crossover

yogibear

I would like to try OB as you have done. Kindly suggest the dimension of OB / woofer size for bass section & crossover

Depends largely on your listening space. My current baffles are 30" wide and 50" high accommodating a FR at ear height and a single 15" at bottom. Next baffles will be shorter and will accommodate two 15" drivers, about 25" wide and 45" high so as to accommodate FR as big as 12". But I am still scratching my head for ideas to keep FR baffle away from any physical contact with bass woofers.

Keeping FR at your seated ear height is very important for the best, life-like experience of imaging and soundstage.

Larger baffles help you cross the FR lower. My preference is FR running unfiltered with active bass crossed from 140-120Hz.

You may choose smaller baffle widths but FR will need to be crossed higher. For example for 16-18" widths, xo point is 550hz to 400Hz. You can further increase the acoustic width of FR by having a small front baffle but a side baffle too, on any one side behind the front baffles. This also helps off-centering the FR wrt to total acoustic widths, which is again very important with still keeping the centers of FR aligned with bass driver when looked at from front.

If you choose bass drivers smaller than 15", say 12" or 10", two drivers each side is a must. A high Qts of 0.6 or above is preferred on woofers and 0.4 and above is preferable for FR. I use tube amps to play FR and Solid State for woofers.

If you have drivers in hand, you may simulate them on Basta to decide the XO points and optimum baffle widths for your listening space:

srinisundar

Thanks for the info.. I have an spare 18" woofer which is fane and would like to use it.. My listening space size is 10ft width X 15 feet length.

Rajiv

Thanks for the info.. I have an spare 18" woofer which is fane and would like to use it.. My listening space size is 10ft width X 15 feet length.

Hi,

Good idea Srini. Since you have the Altec 604's, check this out.

I had plans of building something similar and corresponded with John back then. I should have the plans ,crossover details, etc. somewhere. If i recall he ran the 605 with the Markwart crossover and used an active crossover and SS amp for the 18 inch woofer.

Regards
Rajiv